Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcnejs
    replied
    This will be the first year I get to hunt with my 10 year old son. I really do not know how I will react if I ever catch someone pointing their rifle in his direction. If you are using a rifle scope to look at people, please stop. This really has the potential to make the entire hunting community look really bad. It could also ruin the lives of several families.

Leave a comment:

• iofthetaiga
    replied
    Originally posted by limon32 View Post
    It just proves we need to be saved from ourselves...
    Indeed.

Leave a comment:

• limon32
    replied
    Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    You think they might discover something they don't already know? :think:
    I think they would love examples of gun owners pointing guns at each other, particularly the evil "hunters".

It just proves we need to be saved from ourselves...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• limon32
    replied
    Originally posted by anchskier View Post
    Sorry if I took your post a bit more seriously than you intended, but for me, using the scope to look at people is a heck of a lot worse than just a "bad habit". As others have pointed out, using the scope for general viewing is bad whether it is at a person or not. Basic firearm safety rules. What's to say that while you are scoping that moose or caribou off in the distance that you don't cross right over other hunters? People should not be in the habit of using the rifle for spotting, bolt in or not.
    I certainly could have chosen more appropriate wording.

We should definitely be doing all we can as a community to improve gun safety and to that end it is most certainly good advise to use binoculars instead of your rifle scope!

Leave a comment:

• anchskier
    replied
    Is there something unclear about the last line of my post?

The OPs complaint was about vision through a scope in general. I disagree with his position, as stated. I then clearly wrote it's not a good idea to look at people that way.

I'm not sure how to put that in such a manner as you can let your blood pressure come down a bit?

Sorry if I took your post a bit more seriously than you intended, but for me, using the scope to look at people is a heck of a lot worse than just a "bad habit". As others have pointed out, using the scope for general viewing is bad whether it is at a person or not. Basic firearm safety rules. What's to say that while you are scoping that moose or caribou off in the distance that you don't cross right over other hunters? People should not be in the habit of using the rifle for spotting, bolt in or not.

Leave a comment:

• JuliW
    replied
    Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    They would probably be jumping for joy if they knew hunters were out there accidentally shooting (at) each other, rather than animals. LOL

Leave a comment:

• anchskier
    replied
    Originally posted by JuliW View Post
    This is a good reminder for EVERYONE to follow basic firearm safety... One of my least favorite situations is to be hunting with someone who insists on keeping a round in the chamber at all times..In fact, now I ask anyone I hunt with to keep their chambers clear and ask if I can check or watch them check their firearm.....It is WAAAAAY too easy to swing a barrel up and down/back and forth as you try to go through brush or keep balance on uneven terrain...And crazy scary to be in front of someone who you KNOW has a bullet in the chamber.

The only time I put a round in the chamber is following up on shot bears, last part of a stalk, or if I am (was) leading others (my kids/family) through bear country - and even then I am ultra careful to know exactly where my rifle is pointed...
    I don't like the idea of hunting with a round in the chamber either. Just too easy for something to go wrong. For me, there are three instances where I will have a round in the chamber.

1.) When I am sighting in on an animal I intend to shoot
    2.) When I am approaching a wounded animal or returning to a kill site a while after leaving it (next morning to finish up for example)
    3.) When I am alone and spotting from a lookout or ambush type location and the rifle is set aside, clear of me and any of my movements. If another person is there, no round in the chamber. If I go to move, round comes out.

Leave a comment:

• iofthetaiga
    replied
    God help us if The anti-hunting crowd sees this thread...

Leave a comment:

• limon32
    replied
    Originally posted by anchskier View Post
    I don't give a F if you pull the bolt or not. If that rifle is pointed at me with you looking through the scope, you should feel lucky if you don't get shot in return. No way for me to assume you are not taking aim at me and I am **** well not going to wait for you to get the first shot in to find out. DO NOT POINT A RIFLE AT A PERSON EVER, with or without the bolt in the gun.
    Is there something unclear about the last line of my post?

The OPs complaint was about vision through a scope in general. I disagree with his position, as stated. I then clearly wrote it's not a good idea to look at people that way.

I'm not sure how to put that in such a manner as you can let your blood pressure come down a bit?

Leave a comment:

• anchskier
    replied
    I sure hope you guys stay out of politics.

Pull the bolt, no big deal to use a scope for viewing.

I agree that doing it to look at people is a bad habit.
    I don't give a F if you pull the bolt or not. If that rifle is pointed at me with you looking through the scope, you should feel lucky if you don't get shot in return. No way for me to assume you are not taking aim at me and I am **** well not going to wait for you to get the first shot in to find out. DO NOT POINT A RIFLE AT A PERSON EVER, with or without the bolt in the gun.

Leave a comment:

• 4merguide
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian M View Post
    Good description of the sound..
    Yup..... had a 270 slug buzz over my head once......

Leave a comment:

• limon32
    replied
    God help us if The anti-hunting crowd sees this thread...

Leave a comment:

• JuliW
    replied
    Originally posted by kenaiphisher View Post
    Steve, luckily I have never had my gut wretch by having been (knowingly) scoped by anyone, but last year up on the Denali, there were hundreds of people and it is a miracle more people don't get shot up there. Getting scoped would be second only to taking rounds. The new hunter education requirements won't stop stupidity, but it may bring some awareness. Keep your eyes open....
    You think the Denali is bad...you ought to go over to Chicken..That place is plain **S scary.

Leave a comment:

• TexasBoy
    replied
    Since were all telling stories here, the worst thing that happened to me was last year, opening day of duck season. I get out about 1 1/2 hours early to set up my decoys and get set. About 10 minutes after the start of the season hit, I hear someone walking very loud through the woods, but its still to dark/foggy to make out anyone. As soon as I catch a glimpse of the hunter 'BANG, BANG'! This dude was shooting at my decoys right infront of me. I stood up and yelled and right about the time I'm pretty sure he realized he is shooting at decoys (it all took just a second).. man was I pissed. Of course he appologized and replaced a 'dead' decoy with one of his but I was just so thankful I wasn't directly across from where he was shooting from. Man was I pissed.

Leave a comment:

• kenaiphisher
    replied
    Steve, luckily I have never had my gut wretch by having been (knowingly) scoped by anyone, but last year up on the Denali, there were hundreds of people and it is a miracle more people don't get shot up there. Getting scoped would be second only to taking rounds. The new hunter education requirements won't stop stupidity, but it may bring some awareness. Keep your eyes open....

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X