Opening day ram!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opening day ram!

Took this guy with OTC tag in the kenai mountains on opening morning. 37.5" horns and 10 years old. Solo hunt. Starting the hunt it was forecast for 5 days of rain and high mountain winds. The weather man was right for once... It rained hard most days, but it cleared at the right moments for me to put together a stalk on this guy at 6:30 on opening day. I started at. 2:30 am climbing the mountain in the dark to meet him on his bed at daybreak. It almost went as planned. Fog and rain kept me shivering and with no visibility from about 5:00 am till 6:30. Once it cleared for a moment I realized where I needed to be and a few minutes latter he was in my crosshairs.

https://vimeo.com/103351054

One shot at 100 yards and he was down and rolling... Off a 80' cliff and 500' down a rock gully. It took me two hours to reach him and work him out of the rock gully.

Here is a photo after getting him half way extracted from the cliffs. There was no way I was butchering him up in there.

He's my best ram to date and I'm tickled to have taken him on a solo hunt on the kenai. Four out of the seven ranges down, now just the Chugach, Talkeetnas, and White mountains.

Great work there with fine reward.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

I'm impressed!!!!! Nice job, and congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Most excellent! My first ram came from a solo hunt in the Kenais, and that's still among my most treasured hunting memories. Congratulations, and thank you for sharing!

Comment

Way to go!!

A first glance, no brainer shooter ram for sure. Based on the video clip I'd a never guessed he was only 37+. The deep drop and the flared tips had me immediately thinking 39ish.
          If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Comment

Congratulations! That's a beautiful ram and from the sounds it of a well earned one!

Thanks for getting my adrenaline going, now I just have to wait until October for my own chance at one!

Comment

Very awesome!

Comment

Congratulations. That footage is awesome. Thanks for sharing it.

Comment

Congratulations!!!!!
                  I am so jealous! Way to go man! Well earned

Comment

Nice Ram! Congratulations!

Comment

Awesome sheep love the horn color on that guy. Looks like your gonna need a cape for mounting?

Comment

Great ram! What happened to his throat?

Comment

Somehow in the tumble down the mountain his throat was slit open. It's a clean rip with no hair loss. It'll sew right up for mounting. The nose is a little banged up, but I think the skin is salvageable for a good mount.

Comment

Congratulations on a beautiful animal! I'll be back in the Talkeetnas in a couple weeks, trying to plug one myself. That video and the pictures got my blood pumpin' even more! Awesome...

That was on the Unit 7 Remainder HT, you say?

Comment

I didn't say that. Kenai mountains encompass both units 15 and 7. It was a harvest ticket area.

I also didn't say if I flew in, boated in, used horses, used llamas, biked in, walked in, hitchhiked, or otherwise got there.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X