Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this moose legal?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is this moose legal?

    I apologize in advance. I didn't have a camera with me. I've been watching this spike fork all summer long and up until about 10 days ago he was still barely legal. But I saw him tonight and it looks like he grew a third tine on his right side. My wife was with me and she thinks he was still legal, but I disagreed with her and I told her he wasn't. I feel 95% confident he wasn't but I thought I would sketch up a drawing of what he looked like and ask what you guys think. The right side had one brow tine, a small paddle, and one little tine that I believe is approximately 1 inch tall. The left side clearly has three tines. So I know this sketch is a bad representation, but if you saw this bull as it is drawn, would you shoot?


  • #2
    Nope, that's not a shooter.

    Comment


    • #3
      Nope, not legal. The legal definition of a tine/point is at least 1" long and longer than it is wide. Paddle-horned bulls aren't legal, and neither are 3 point bulls. The bull you drew (nice drawing, by the way!) isn't a fork in my reading of the law.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'd say no. I let a spike go last year that was questionable as to being long enough. This is like the full curl for sheep...if you're having to agonize, let it walk. Easier to explain and stomach than the alternative possibly.

        AZinAK

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
          ....if you saw this bull as it is drawn, would you shoot?
          .....Nope.
          ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
          The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Brian M View Post
            Paddle-horned bulls aren't legal,
            That's a common misperception. If they have less than three points, it doesn't matter if the antler is palmated/paddled. If the middle point on the left of the drawing was less than 1" long or wider than it was long, it would be legal. But, a bull like that could certainly lead to a long philosophical discussion with a trooper.

            If it doesn't have 3 legally defined 'points' then it is a legal spike/fork regardless of configuration, but they rarely have much palm with only 2 points but we did shoot one 3 years ago that had about 4" palms with basically one brow tine. The way he was, the paddle part was considered on point because on either edge of the top end, it's width was way more than the length. Rare but don't disqualify a moose just because it has any palm to it. Take a close look.


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Alaskan expat, civil engineer, FAA consultant.

            Comment


            • #7
              He looks skinny anyway.

              Comment


              • #8
                Let it walk, but that's a pretty nice drawing.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by highestview View Post
                  That's a common misperception. If they have less than three points, it doesn't matter if the antler is palmated/paddled. If the middle point on the left of the drawing was less than 1" long or wider than it was long, it would be legal. But, a bull like that could certainly lead to a long philosophical discussion with a trooper.
                  Absolutely true, and I apologize for the overgeneralization. Many (most?) palmated antlers do not qualify as a point, as they are wider than they are long. There are exceptions, however, and as you point out there are cases where a palmated bull can still be considered to be a spike/fork. Thanks for the clarification.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Don't feel confident that he is legal, then let him walk.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by highestview View Post
                      That's a common misperception. If they have less than three points, it doesn't matter if the antler is palmated/paddled. If the middle point on the left of the drawing was less than 1" long or wider than it was long, it would be legal. But, a bull like that could certainly lead to a long philosophical discussion with a trooper.

                      If it doesn't have 3 legally defined 'points' then it is a legal spike/fork regardless of configuration, but they rarely have much palm with only 2 points but we did shoot one 3 years ago that had about 4" palms with basically one brow tine. The way he was, the paddle part was considered on point because on either edge of the top end, it's width was way more than the length. Rare but don't disqualify a moose just because it has any palm to it. Take a close look.


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Agree, shot one years ago that had a paddle and one brow tine as well. Completely legal.
                      Essentially it looked like your hand if you were to keep your fingers tight together and your thumb out to the side. It was classified as 2 points.
                      He was tasty!
                      So, if your drawing is accurate and the middle point is less than an inch or wider than an inch at the base, it is not considered a point. Also, he's in velvet and the point might not be as big as you think.....food for thought?!

                      Regardless, its your decision and you'll have to deal with the consequences if you guess incorrectly.
                      BK
                      BK Marine Services 232-6399
                      Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
                      Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
                      Www.bkmarineservices.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
                        I apologize in advance. I didn't have a camera with me. I've been watching this spike fork all summer long and up until about 10 days ago he was still barely legal. But I saw him tonight and it looks like he grew a third tine on his right side. My wife was with me and she thinks he was still legal, but I disagreed with her and I told her he wasn't. I feel 95% confident he wasn't but I thought I would sketch up a drawing of what he looked like and ask what you guys think. The right side had one brow tine, a small paddle, and one little tine that I believe is approximately 1 inch tall. The left side clearly has three tines. So I know this sketch is a bad representation, but if you saw this bull as it is drawn, would you shoot?

                        I think that is legal where I live. Any antlered bull.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Not legal... But nice drawing!
                          Not all those who wander, are lost.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Brian M View Post
                            Absolutely true, and I apologize for the overgeneralization. Many (most?) palmated antlers do not qualify as a point, as they are wider than they are long. There are exceptions, however, and as you point out there are cases where a palmated bull can still be considered to be a spike/fork. Thanks for the clarification.
                            I'd just hate to see anyone let all that primo spike/fork meat walk away.
                            Alaskan expat, civil engineer, FAA consultant.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              An example of a legal fork/paddle. This little bull was almost mine. Stalk was on, 200 yards and closing. Suddenly...BANG! Another hunter got em. I had to laugh and shake the guys hand.

                              I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X