Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	2513887This was found in cordova and i cant figure it out

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	24924221 more picture

Comment

You should post this over in the fish ID section. I bet Homerdave might have an idea. Looks like Gadidae family to me; some sort of cod.

http://osteobase.mnhn.fr/region.php?...=12&idTaxon=63
      ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
      I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
      The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Your right I should have done that but I'm pretty sure my friend just figured it out. Pretty sure it's a sturgeon. It has been driving me CRAZY all day!!!

Comment

It may very well be a sturgeon but the sturgeon skulls I've seen have more of an up turned snout. Cool website IOT!

Comment

What?.........there are sturgeon in Cordova...???
            Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Very rarely one turns up around here. They tend to run small, and I have taken a couple in a shrimp trawl. They were only between 12"-15". There is one that's probably close to 3' mounted at the Juneau airport that was taken years ago just south of here.

Comment

Originally posted by alaska viking View Post
                Very rarely one turns up around here. They tend to run small, and I have taken a couple in a shrimp trawl. They were only between 12"-15". There is one that's probably close to 3' mounted at the Juneau airport that was taken years ago just south of here.
                Jeneau I guess I could understand, but Cordova is still quite a bit further north......

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
                  Jeneau I guess I could understand, but Cordova is still quite a bit further north......
                  Every year a couple are taken during the Copper River gillnet season. They are not local fish. The last one I caught had radio transmitters that had been surgically implanted in it's stomach in San Francisco Bay for a study by the Marine Biology Dept at UC Davis. There was a name and phone # on one of the transmitters so I called them and talked to the head of the Dept about it and he was as amazed as I was how far away it was caught. He said the original study was to determine which areas of the Bay and the Sacramento River were important habitat for sturgeon. They tracked them with a series of receivers around the Bay and up the river. http://biotelemetry.ucdavis.edu/page...nsturgeon1.asp
                  An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
                  - Jef Mallett

Comment

Green sturgeon have been documented in the Copper River.
                    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Comment

Originally posted by twodux View Post
                      Every year a couple are taken during the Copper River gillnet season. They are not local fish. The last one I caught had radio transmitters that had been surgically implanted in it's stomach in San Francisco Bay for a study by the Marine Biology Dept at UC Davis. There was a name and phone # on one of the transmitters so I called them and talked to the head of the Dept about it and he was as amazed as I was how far away it was caught. He said the original study was to determine which areas of the Bay and the Sacramento River were important habitat for sturgeon. They tracked them with a series of receivers around the Bay and up the river. http://biotelemetry.ucdavis.edu/page...nsturgeon1.asp
                      That's amazing.........I had no idea...!!!

Comment

Don't sturgeon have cartilage skeletons?
                        Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
                        "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
                        I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Comment

We saw the same skull out on Naked last time out....had no clue they might have been a sturgeon?!
                          BK
                          BK Marine Services 232-6399
                          Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
                          Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
                          Www.bkmarineservices.com

Comment

My money is still on gadus macrocephalus.
                            ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                            I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                            The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

chupacabra??
                              My WAC Hunt
                              http://www.hinkleyfamily.homestead.c...kaCaribou.html
                              My Delta Management Area (DMA - DS204) Hunt
                              http://alaskasheephunt.homestead.com/

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X