Will the caribou be in rut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the caribou be in rut?

I am heading up from Fairbanks to the North Slope from 11-15 Sept. I am curious if the bulls should be in rut by then, and I should only take cows, or do you think I'm safe to take both cows and bulls. Thanks!
    I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

No, rut is not till Oct typically.
    BK
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Comment

Originally posted by bkmail View Post
      No, rut is not till Oct typically.
      BK
      Depends on how cute the cows are
      Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Comment

Has anyone killed a bull during rut? Did you eat it, what did it taste like. I've only heard its inedible, but why/what's the taste?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBoy View Post
          Has anyone killed a bull during rut? Did you eat it, what did it taste like. I've only heard its inedible, but why/what's the taste?
          Like an old texas longhorn.

Comment

The drink the cows urine during the rut. That's part of the reason. So as far as taste goes, you make the call.

Comment

If you like Texas-style brisket, you will probably have no issues eating rutty caribou. Now, compared to Memphis-style pulled pork....
              Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Comment

The bigger the bull caribou the early it will be in full rut. If you're looking for good eating be very careful what you shoot after September 15.

Comment

Rutting caribou bulls have a very distinctive taste and smell. Some won't even feed it to their dogs. Some meat processors won't accept it. You know right away when you slice into the animal to process it. You should be able to tell some before you shoot the animal by neck size and disposition.

Comment

Rutty caribou is something like liver marinated in old urine.

Inedible.

But you're unlikely to find one in rut that early.
                    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Comment

Originally posted by hodgeman View Post
                      Rutty caribou is something like liver marinated in old urine.

Inedible.

But you're unlikely to find one in rut that early.
                      Too bad, you made it sound quite tasty.

Comment

I am heading up from Fairbanks to the North Slope from 11-15 Sept. I am curious if the bulls should be in rut by then, and I should only take cows, or do you think I'm safe to take both cows and bulls. Thanks!
                        I wouldn't try to eat a bull only during the first two weeks of Oct..
                        Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

I killed a bull caribou on the 13th of September, Mulchatna herd, it tasted terrible, so bad in fact, dogs would not eat it. Killed another on the 17th of Sept., Nelchina herd, tasted excellent. If you can, watch their behavior, if they seem calm and are feeding, shoot it. If it seems agitated, annoyed, very active, not feeding, leave it be and find another, or take a cow.

Comment

thanks for the info everyone. Since we are on the topic of caribou hunting, how easy is the walk 5 miles in compared to going on the 1st of July when everything is under about 1 foot of water?

Comment

thanks for the info everyone. Since we are on the topic of caribou hunting, how easy is the walk 5 miles in compared to going on the 1st of July when everything is under about 1 foot of water?
                              Never tried in July, but I know the ground is a lot nicer to walk on in the morning after a nice freeze! but a pain to walk on if there is an inch of snow.

bugs are gone by sept. which is nice too.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X