Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is the best rifle and sight for hunting deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is the best rifle and sight for hunting deer?

Short and quick question: Which is the best rifle and sights for hunting blacktails ?

Originally posted by Micky_Ireland View Post
    Short and quick question: Which is the best rifle and sights for hunting blacktails ?
    I suspect, given your past expressed interest, you intend you're question to be specific to SE(?). Unless you're on a beach, shot distances are generally not very great, and any medium to small bore revolver or rifle will do; shot placement is all that really matters. Once off the beaches and in the forest, light can become quite dim and illuminated sights will be your choice.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Winchester 94 with open sights. Best. Rifle. Ever. Take your pick; 44 for up close, 30-30 for longer shots (and cheaper ammo).

Comment

Originally posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
        Winchester 94 with open sights. Best. Rifle. Ever. Take your pick; 44 for up close, 30-30 for longer shots (and cheaper ammo).
        +2, although my 30-30 has a vortex 1.5-5x on it.
        I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

Comment

I would go with a stainless bolt action 7mm/08 and a 1.5-7 power scope set at the lowest setting.

Patriot Life Member NRA
          Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
          Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
            I suspect, given your past expressed interest, you intend you're question to be specific to SE(?). Unless you're on a beach, shot distances are generally not very great, and any medium to small bore revolver or rifle will do; shot placement is all that really matters. Once off the beaches and in the forest, light can become quite dim and illuminated sights will be your choice.
            All depends on where you are hunting deer. For example, if you hunt deer in Kodiak you have to consider that very large bears (Kodiak bears) are present in this island. While the smaller deer in Kodiak can be hunted with a variety of rifles of small caliber, if you choose such a rifle you may want to carry a more powerful gun in case a brown bear comes-in to have you for dinner instead of sharing the deer you have killed.

But lets say that you hunt deer in Northern NY (around Plattsburgh and vicinity, for example), a lot of deer hunters in that area use a variety of rifles in 30-30-caliber because the hunting takes place around farms and such, or from tree stands.

Then if you hunt deer in the lower-48 States at places where long shots are the norm, you want to use a flat-shooting rifle, not necessarily a very powerful one (not a .500 Nitro) . For example, 7mm-08 and similar, a .30-06 with 150-grain bullets, and so forth.

Comment

Originally posted by RayfromAK View Post
              All depends on where you are hunting deer. For example, if you hunt deer in Kodiak you have to consider that very large bears (Kodiak bears) are present in this island. While the smaller deer in Kodiak can be hunted with a variety of rifles of small caliber, if you choose such a rifle you may want to carry a more powerful gun in case a brown bear comes-in to have you for dinner instead of sharing the deer you have killed.
              In that scenario, you go with the Winchester 94 in 44 magnum with 310 grain hard cast. 10+1 magazine and those bullets are flying a lot faster out of that 20" of barrel than the 4=6" on your Redhawk. Done. You're covered.

Originally posted by RayfromAK View Post
              Then if you hunt deer in the lower-48 States at places where long shots are the norm, you want to use a flat-shooting rifle, not necessarily a very powerful one (not a .500 Nitro) .
              In that scenario, I think you can't beat the original (not this WSSSSSSSSSM whatever crap) 243 Winchester. Shoots flat, long, and pin-pint accurate. Winchester Model 70 or, if you're on a tight budget, Savage 110. Pick whatever scope you like; the 243 is not going to beat it up. And on that note, it's not going to beat YOU up either.

Comment

What is considered a high end scope for this type of hunt? Is the vortex brand at the high end of the scale ? Thanks from Ireland.

Comment

What is considered a high end scope for this type of hunt? Is the vortex brand at the high end of the scale ? Thanks from Ireland.
                  A lot of brands have both high end and low end scopes in their line to cover the mass of people. Personally I don't think spending thousands upon thousands is needed on a scope. However, you don't want to go cheap either. Personally, the only brands I stick to are either Leupold or Vortex. Look at those brands, they will have anything your looking for.
                  I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

Comment

Micky Ireland is going to be hunting GMU2 (POW), if I recall from his boating/fishing posts. Get yourself a good rifle for deer and black bear. Check out the Ruger Hawkeye Stainless Laminate Compact in .308 I have one in .243 and it is a great handling accurate shooter that is a dream to carry. Put a 3x9 Leupold (any model) or Bushnell Elite on it (my favorite for Southeast because of the Rainguard lens coating that works!).

You can pick up the whole package from Log Cabin Sporting Goods in Craig on the Island (http://www.logcabinsports.com).

Sobie2

Comment

Not sure what your residency status is Mickey, but a non-resident alien needs a guide for ANY big game.
                      Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
                      http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Comment

High end price-wise or high end magnification-wise? As stated by Sobie2, this (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/727...ProductFinding), is a very good scope. Rifle - stainless steel, bolt action, laminated or synthetic stock, in a medium caliber probably 7mm-08, .308 Win, on up to the lighter magnums. Some people may hunt with a light cartridge in Alaska, but I wouldn't.

Comment

AR-15 would be my first choice. In a sport hunting application chambered in 6.8 SPC II
                          And in a survival hunting application 5.56X45
                          ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBoy View Post
                            A lot of brands have both high end and low end scopes in their line to cover the mass of people. Personally I don't think spending thousands upon thousands is needed on a scope. However, you don't want to go cheap either. Personally, the only brands I stick to are either Leupold or Vortex. Look at those brands, they will have anything your looking for.
                            I agree wholeheartedly. I would add the Redfield Revolution to that list. (Made in USA) I have one on my 243. I like it so far. I"m about to buy some more Redfield optics. They appear to be making decent stuff at sane prices. Appear to be anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by homerdave View Post
                              Not sure what your residency status is Mickey, but a non-resident alien needs a guide for ANY big game.
                              I'm not certain that is entirely accurate. I believe non res need a guide for sheep, goat and grizzly. I'm pretty sure the other stuff (moose, deer, caribou) are ok for self guided non res. Unless there is something special at that particular GMU.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X