Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheep taxidermy recommendation

Gentlemen,

Looking for a recommendation on a sheep taxidermist. I'm in anchorage but will take where needed if I connect this year. I've changing taxidermists and have had minimal time in town to check shops out.

Thanks
    NRA life Member JVJ

Dan Williams of "Wildlife Artistry" in Palmer (907) 746-3922 does phenomenal sheep/goat mounts, and has won numerous awards here at Alaska SCI, he is currently doing a habitat lifesize ram for my wife.

He is @ the Matsu Sportsmans show every year.

Comment

Rich Hamilton @ Browtine Taxidermy in North Pole. He has sheep down to a science. Won't use anyone else. I'm sure there are several well accomplished artists in the state though. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	2492368
      sigpic

Comment

I strongly recommend that you stop and see Foster's taxidermy near Wasilla. I believe that you will be pleased there.

Comment

I'm sure Stid2677 will chime in, but from what I've seen, Dave Winney of Frontier Taxidermy does phenomenal work with sheep. I'm sure you could get detailed pics from Stid2677 if you PM him.

AZinAK

Comment

Larry McMurphy, at Woodland Taxidermy in the Valley.

Comment

If you take your sheep to Larry McMurphy at Woodland Taxidermy in Wasilla it will get mounted by Robert Holshouser. Robert is the only person to win a world championship with a dall sheep. If you want to see the sheep ,an example of Robert's work, it is in the Millennium Hotel at Lake hood. It is lifesize in a glass case. Besides having Robert mount your sheep, it will likely come back in 6 months or less because my understanding is that all Robert does these days is sheep. I took Larry a sheep a few years back in September and had it in hand by January. Some years, they are done before Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Bambistew View Post
                Larry McMurphy, at Woodland Taxidermy in the Valley.
                I have a Larry McMurphy sheep and bear. The sheep turned out really well. However, I thought he retired recently?

Comment

Originally posted by Yellowknife View Post
                  I have a Larry McMurphy sheep and bear. The sheep turned out really well. However, I thought he retired recently?
                  Just talked to him a week ago or so, not retired, just doing a bit less.

Comment

Joe Romero. Aurora Wildlife Arts.

Comment

Dan, Foster's, and Larry all do great work. Call them up or go visit their shops to pick your favorite.

sent from my igloo

Comment

Originally posted by ak_cowboy View Post
                        Dan, Foster's, and Larry all do great work. Call them up or go visit their shops to pick your favorite.

sent from my igloo
                        Fosters does great sheep and I would highly recommend him.. I may be biased, because I learned what I know from him ....

The big thing about choosing a taxidermist is to actually see their work in person... and take some printed photos of LIVE animals...close ups of the faces at various angles... compare the photos to the mounts.

Going by what 'lay people' say just doesn't work...80% of non taxidermists can't tell the difference between good and excellent taxidermy (or even 'fair' and 'excellent' taxidermy... I am not saying that is wrong, it just is...that is because the 'artistic' side of putting a mount together is learned over a long period of time and with experience and desire to do better with every mount...it is detail that makes a mount stand apart from others...... Anyone can put a skin and eyes and some clay on a form and sew it up...That is 'labor'...making it come to life...well...that is art, in the truest sense.
                        Taxidermy IS art!
                        www.alaskawildliferugs.com
                        Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0101.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	2492393

While not a dalls sheep. This short haired sheep shows off the anatomy and detail.
                          Hugh
                          In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
                          Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by AZinAK View Post
                            I'm sure Stid2677 will chime in, but from what I've seen, Dave Winney of Frontier Taxidermy does phenomenal work with sheep. I'm sure you could get detailed pics from Stid2677 if you PM him.

AZinAK
                            +1 on Dave. I've seen 25 + sheep he's done and in my mind they are by far the best most lifelike mounts. he's a great guy to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by Hughiam View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]79986[/ATTACH]

While not a dalls sheep. This short haired sheep shows off the anatomy and detail.
                              Hugh
                              Trans Caspian Urial, Found from Iran to Kazakhstan
                              In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
                              Palmer

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X