Rifle scope question, need advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Kid View Post
    Get on EBay and buy yourself a used fixed 4x Leupold, $150.
    Order and install Talley lightweights, $42.

Sight in and kill stuff, it's all real easy if we let it be.
    +1, if your hunting in an alter restriction area, you'll be getting close enough to use a 4x fixed and old school Leupolds are great, reliable and fairly easy to come by. Leupolds service is not what it once was, but it's still great.

If you're looking for bargain, I have a new Weaver classic 4x fixed and am very happy with it on my 308. I can't comment on warranty/service quality or durability on a big magnum. It does have a larger objective lens than the old leupold 4x and is a little quicker/easier for target acquisition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alaskan expat, civil engineer, FAA consultant.

Comment

Rifle scope question, need advice?

Originally posted by fishing nut View Post
      Yes, sir. Mainly moose. Next year will be caribou also, maybe. Forgot to mention that, sorry.
      I took last years caribou at 170 yards with my Leupold 1.5-5 on 5 power. 1 shot, one kill and I hadn't spent a whole lot of time shooting for practice that summer. A 4x really is enough for 95% of hunting shots. Even then, it just demands a little more practice and marksmanship. My cousin nailed a groundhog at 360 yards with a fixed 4 power on his M4. Granted it took him 3 shots, buts it's rare that you would actually 'need' more than 4 or 6 power if you put in the time with your rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Alaskan expat, civil engineer, FAA consultant.

Comment

I'm all for fixed power scopes too, but, that being said, I have NEVER had a lick of a problem with my old, OLD Leupold 3x9. Personally I wouldn't downsize to a lower caliber optic than Leupold. I don't really care what the warranty is........a lot of good it will do ya when you're out in the woods and it won't aim right.
        Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

I started off with 3-9 variables, eventually going to 1-6 on .375 H&H,2-7 on .308,2.5-8 another .308. Regarding shots at realistic hunting ranges, those are all the scope I'll ever need.

Comment

I've got a 1-6x Nikon monarch I would take any amount of money for, it's held up to anything I've thrown at it so far. The Redfield revolution line are awesome for the money that's the set that are made in the US right next to the Leupold, the revenge series are made in who knows where. I'm looking really hard at the vortex he-lr for a longer range rig it's first focal plane for under $1000 no one else is doing that.
            Just remember good work don't come cheap and cheap work doesn't come good. Leupold fx line of fixed powers are great for the money and its a leupold your grandkids grandkids will still be using that scope.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
            Working...
            X