No announcement yet.

How much ammo is enough ammo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

20 is probably sufficient is most cases. Like others, I like to have enough to sight in a rifle if it gets dropped, hit, bumped, whatever. The total number of extra rounds also depends on the size of the group I am hunting with. If everyone, or at least more than one person, has the same caliber and shooting the same rounds, then you don't both need a bunch of extra. If you have another person with you who shoots a different caiber/bullet, then I want enough of each in case one rifle becomes unusable for whatever reason and you have to utilize the working rifle to fill all of the tags for that trip. I may only be planning to take a caribou in a trip, but if my dad has moose and caribou tags and his rifle isn't usable for whatever reason, I want to have enough ammo for my gun that he can use it to fill his tags.

Comment

Always bring too much.

Twenty should be fine. But I can't see taking less than that. Also, a short barreled 870 20ga pump with a box of 6's or 7 1/2's and 5 slugs would make a fine companion if you can stand the weight along with a light spinning or fly rod. Caribou country is also usually ptarmigan country and a grayling or Dolly varden/arctic char over a campfire or in a skillet beats MH all to pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Redlander View Post
        Twenty should be fine. But I can't see taking less than that. Also, a short barreled 870 20ga pump with a box of 6's or 7 1/2's and 5 slugs would make a fine companion if you can stand the weight along with a light spinning or fly rod. Caribou country is also usually ptarmigan country and a grayling or Dolly varden/arctic char over a campfire or in a skillet beats MH all to pieces.
        Nothing like fresh bird or fish. This year I brought up my youth model 22 single shot for my bird gun. While floating and before we actually head out we spend a little but if time shooting
        spruce chickens. Great trapping bait and excellent food.

Comment

Back in the 1990s when I was scuba diving the SE corner of the lower 48 .44magnum for bangsticks for sharks would get a coat of clear nail polish on the primer/brass seam and a another stripe on the bullet/ brass seem. Had a few of those 100 feet under water for a couple hours at a time with no misfires - but as has been alluded already, ammo that has been to the field should no longer be treated liek factory new ammo.

I too fire off everything that got wet and sandy and so on to put the brass back in circulation. However, the ammunition that went out into the field with me sealed up in a foodsaver bag that comes home still sealed in a foodsaver bag having only been cold without getting wet or sandy, that stuff I treat like new ammunition, unlimited shelf life.

FWIW if I take a gun into the field I have at least 12 and sometimes as many as 20 rounds for it scattered around in my gear.

Comment

For a total count, I bring 40 to camp. I keep 3 in the gun, 4 in my sling and usually an extra 10 in my daypack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Alaskan expat, civil engineer, FAA consultant.

Comment

So...as anchskier was saying, I like/prefer to go in a pair or group-for just about any outdoor activity; it really does reduce what you have to carry. For example, My sleeping pad came with a repair kit. My girlfriend's and my son's did not. Only need one. Same thing with cook stove, utensils, camp kitchen in general. But in my case, hunting is going to be solo.

Redlander, I have a 20 ga, full size side by side. Probably won't take it except for dedicated bird hunt trips. (Which, my bird hunt trips have been sooo unsuccessful that I'm not even going this year.) But you'r right-some 6's and 7-1/s make for a very versatile tool. My 32 revolver is my 22. Yeah, I could carry hundreds of 22s to my 12 or 20 32's, and I have a Nylon 66 that wouldn't weigh much, but carrying the revolver will be way easier overall.

And yes, I'm carrying fishing gear, just haven't decided to go with a 2 piece rod or one of those collapsible/telescoping rods. (My how things have changed for me. When I first came to AK from FL 9 yrs ago, I balked at all the 2 pc rods in the stores. I whined and complained/pee'ed and moaned about how I couldn't find any 1 pc rods anywhere. Wouldn't be caught dead with a 2 pc rod. Now, I'm leaving the one pc rods at home and taking the 2 pc rods, and I'm seriously thinking about buying a telescoping rod.)

Comment

Originally posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
                And yes, I'm carrying fishing gear, just haven't decided to go with a 2 piece rod or one of those collapsible/telescoping rods. (My how things have changed for me. When I first came to AK from FL 9 yrs ago, I balked at all the 2 pc rods in the stores. I whined and complained/pee'ed and moaned about how I couldn't find any 1 pc rods anywhere. Wouldn't be caught dead with a 2 pc rod. Now, I'm leaving the one pc rods at home and taking the 2 pc rods, and I'm seriously thinking about buying a telescoping rod.)
                I do all of my trout/grayling fishing with a 5-piece (I think it is five, by may be just 4) rod. Worst part is I tend to lose it in the camping gear because it breaks down to the same size as a telescoping rod. It doesn't have the inherent issues of having the telescoping malfunction. In my experience, it is easier to fix a multi-piece rod than a telescoping rod in the field.

Comment

I only bring one bullet. Exception being combo hunts of course.
                  www.provingtrailadventures.com

Comment

I take 20. If that's not enough I NEED to not be out there. Having said that I watched someone miscalculate the distance on a caribou up on the north slope and need 26 shots.

Comment

I generally bring 30-40 rounds.
                      www.freightercanoes.com

Comment

Originally posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
                        I generally bring 30-40 rounds.
                        Why so much?

Comment

I am going to take 17 on my sheep hunt this year. I'll have some in the truck also - but of a different untested load that I want to try out on the way up or back.

Comment

20 rounds in a slip-top plastic case. Fits just about anywhere.
                            Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Comment

I typically have five hunting arrows with broadheads and two or three flu flus when we get to camp. I have four broadheads and a flu flu on me at all times while away from camp hunting. Like many others above have said, you never know when you might meet an aggressive bird. The last, and most important, thing I do is tell my buddy I need his rifle for a hot second because I just blew another stalk and it's the last day. I'll ask him how many rounds he carries and get back to you.

Comment

I usually only take as much as my gun will carry.......
                                Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X