No announcement yet.

Haul road conditions and drive time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just talked to a guy who drove up here from Wasilla. My neighbor actually. I recognized his truck in Deadhorse. Anyways I stopped to chat with him and he said that he took a rock under his pickup. It hit hard!! He said that he stopped to look underneath and saw gear oil leaking. It hit the differential breather tower and snapped it off. So he whittled a stick he found to temporarily plug it and made it to Deadhorse for gear oil (in which he didn't bring) and a new tower. So if you drive and take a rock, and ya think it hits the undercarriage or wherever pretty hard, STOP. Check it out.
    If it's been raining, expect washboard. LOTS OF IT....
    Be courteous to the truckers. ALL of them... You'll most likely regret it if you don't... Just sayin"....

Comment

Originally posted by bigskyguy View Post
      Better yet, armor the oil pan with sheet metal before you get going. Old road signs make good skid-plates.
      Solid advice, actually. Skid plates are worth every penny if you're going to drive the Dalton, Steese, Elliot or Denali with any regularity.
      If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Comment

In good driving conditions you can get up there to Slope Mountain or Happy Valley area in about 14-15 hours. Lots of variables are going to play into this, such as getting behind slow vehicles, road constructions, bad driving conditions etc. I've made 5 trips up and only had one flat.

The first trip I had up there was a rough one, at least the drive home. I came around a corner going up hill and had an oncoming big rig that was flying down the hill. I didn't have much time as I couldn't see him coming around the corner. So we met each other going pretty fast. I swung as wide as I could and he threw rocks all over me, cracking my windshield. A short ways down the road, I noticed my temperature getting hot. I pulled over and got out to check under the hood and there was antifreeze pouring out. One of those rocks snuck it's way right through my grill and just caught my radiator.

Thanks to some hwy workers with a sat phone, they called me a tow truck the next morning. It was a mess and very costly. Simply putting a mesh cover over your grill will solve this problem. I got one and put it on and don't worry about that happening again. Other things could happen but that's an easy preventative measure.

Comment

I have made the trip (successfully) three times. 50 may be the speed limit but the road can be great for hundreds of miles and higher speeds are doable, as long as you can outrun the south bound truckers. Spare tires are cheap in Fairbanks, worth gold on the road. Chains are a must have. Atigun pass can be impassable in August. A CB radio is a great way to know what the truckers are doing or better yet what they want you to do. This one is cheap and easy to install and use, its the one I have.

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-75-822...rds=midland+cb

Fuel management is another factor to consider. Coldfoot can seem a long way away if fuel is running low, I don't carry more than I need so sharing is a bit iffy.
          My Facebook My YouTube

Comment

Call your insurance company and get towing insurance. I think it costs around a buck a month, but it is well worth it. I had an older truck that broke down 30 miles south of the Yukon, and the tow bill back to Fairbanks was almost $800, but insurance covered it.

Comment

Originally posted by stid2677 View Post
              That road is like a river and changes from day to day depending on rain and traffic.
              This statement couldn't be truer. I've driven the Haul Road about a half a dozen times and each time is different. It depends on the weather, road construction, frost heaves, potholes and various other factors. Some stretches will be smooth sailing for 50 miles or more and other sections you may be creeping along at a snail's pace. When the road graters are fixing the road the gravel can be real loose and hard to drive straight. When it's raining or snowing hard some of the hill's can be super slick. In particular through Atigun Pass. Slow down, keep your lights on, and give the right of way to all the truckers and you'll be fine. Bring two full size spare tires if you can. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod View Post
                Call your insurance company and get towing insurance. I think it costs around a buck a month, but it is well worth it. I had an older truck that broke down 30 miles south of the Yukon, and the tow bill back to Fairbanks was almost $800, but insurance covered it.
                Most insurance company's now only cover a 15-30 mile radius and a reimbursement of $150. I know my vehicle broke down in willow had to have it towed to Anchorage to the dealer $750. and I had the towing insurance
                PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Comment

nice photo, thanks. spent a lot of time there during construction (pump 1-6)
                  some of the most beautiful country I've seen.

Comment

Good point on insurance. I just called my carrier, GEICO, and verified that they will tow me to the nearest authorized dealer, which will be in Fairbanks. Definitely check to make sure.

Comment

I added towing to my ole '92 dodge that I am taking up. They said nearest dealer, but that if I call, they will "probably" tow it to anchorage.

Anyone else leaving from anchorage next Wednesday afternoon? I hope to be pulling out of work at 3:30pm heading North.

Comment

Anyone know if the herd has started heading south yet? I am planning a trip for Sept 1 weekend and hoping they are close to galbirth lake. Anyone driven the road lately?
                        I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

Comment

Anyone done the drive lately for an update?
                          I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

Comment

Originally posted by Bullelkklr View Post
                            I added towing to my ole '92 dodge that I am taking up. They said nearest dealer, but that if I call, they will "probably" tow it to anchorage.

Anyone else leaving from anchorage next Wednesday afternoon? I hope to be pulling out of work at 3:30pm heading North.
                            We're leaving a week from Monday

Comment

Anyone have any updates?

Comment

No but I'm chomping at the bit. Nine days until launch. Got the trucks freshened up, oil, air, tires, shocks, etc. Groceries are bought and packed, ammo loaded and rifles sighted. I'll give a report as soon as I return of course but would appreciate any up to date info.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X