Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sheep "kit" AK range

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sheep "kit" AK range

    Okay so it was raining this morning so I thought I would do a "dry" run of all my gear for an AK range walk in this year. This is not all-inclusive (no food... or whiskey), but pretty close. I'm happy with the 36# weight of everything I have on this list - I figured I would throw it out there to you guys (and gals) to give some feedback. Please don't be rude or brutal; this is my 4th sheep hunt (2 in AK range and 2 in Chugach) and I've lived in AK for 35 years... I get it. I'm trying to be minimal and smart and most of my gear has been tried and tested before. I'm just pumped to get into the mountains again!!

    KUIU Ultra 6000. KUIU Yukon pants, jacket, gaiters, and gloves. KUIU Merino 145, 185, 230 tops. KUIU merino cap and neck gaiter. KUIU guide beanie.
    Icebreaker 230 merino pants
    Salewa Raven mountaineering boots.
    Sea to Summit mug (vinyl). Sea to Summit (e)vent dry sack(s) M,L.
    SteriPen Adventurer UV light
    Nalgene 1L bottle
    Thermarest trail scout (S) pad
    ZenRay 82mm Spotter
    Steiner Safari binos 10x26 (I know they're not the best)
    SLIK mini II tripod
    Jetboil Zip and fuel
    50' Parachute cord
    Sierra Designs Orion AST 2m/3s tent w/ titanium MSR stakes
    Smartwool hiking socks
    Arcteryx fleece floves (I have Reynauds... so I need warm hands)
    Black Diamond headlamp
    CRKT knife (might switch to Havalon Piranta)
    Mtn. Hardwear Ultralamina 0 degree sleeping bag
    Misc: TP, emergency blanket, spork, Purell, tent repair kit, ammo.
    Remington model 700 30.06
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Are the Yukon pants going to be your everyday pant? I'm thinking those are going to be really hot!

    Comment


    • #3
      I would ditch the purell - can't see a need for it in the mountains. Also, do you have anything for first aid and fire starting? Your miscellaneous section seems a bit brief. Camera??

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Brian M View Post
        I would ditch the purell - can't see a need for it in the mountains. Also, do you have anything for first aid and fire starting? Your miscellaneous section seems a bit brief. Camera??
        I have a solid first aid in there, just didn't detail it. ALso have fire in the form of matches, vaseline cotton balls, lighter. Like I said, not all inclusive - meaning I did not bore people with the knick knacks... which happen to be the things that save lives, but I was happy to be under #40.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mossyhorn View Post
          Are the Yukon pants going to be your everyday pant? I'm thinking those are going to be really hot!
          I do late sheep season, so yes... they're my everyday pant.

          Comment


          • #6
            I would ditch a lot more than the purell if doing a walk-in hunt. First switch to the havalon, and take 6-8 blades with you, Ditch the Nalgene bottle and use a used gatorade 32 oz bottle with paracord tied to it, ditch the steripen, if anything take the two part water treatment otherwise drink straight out of the mountain, ditch the Jet boil, get the Snowpeak lite max titanium, it weighs 2.9 ounces, and you'll only need your 2 small gas canisters, finally ....0 degree bag? ...do you get cold easy? drop to a 15 degree and you 'll shave some weight there too.....good luck

            Comment


            • #7
              Unless you wear contacts like I do...then the Purell is indispensable.

              Comment


              • #8
                Once I added a light hiking pole to my list I wondered why I hadn't done it 25 tears earlier...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by kahahawai View Post
                  I would ditch a lot more than the purell if doing a walk-in hunt. First switch to the havalon, and take 6-8 blades with you, Ditch the Nalgene bottle and use a used gatorade 32 oz bottle with paracord tied to it, ditch the steripen, if anything take the two part water treatment otherwise drink straight out of the mountain, ditch the Jet boil, get the Snowpeak lite max titanium, it weighs 2.9 ounces, and you'll only need your 2 small gas canisters, finally ....0 degree bag? ...do you get cold easy? drop to a 15 degree and you 'll shave some weight there too.....good luck
                  Good info...this is the feedback I'm looking for; nothing belittling, just insight. I don't think I'll switch bags since I have Reynauds and I get VERY cold VERY easily. I have to use hand warmers if it gets below 50. It's a tough thing to beat trying to be a sheep hunter, but something I try to overcome w/ better gear (which tends to weigh more). I was on the fence about the Havalon, so I thanks for the info. I got Giardia in 2012 when in the AK range, so I'm a bit cautious about no filtration of my water. I'll look into the two part treatment.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    xcrnr, I use the Aqua Mira two part water treatment, its small and it works, Many use this instead of a filter, I'm very cautious when it comes to water, and the only mountain water I drink is flowing water coming out of a mountain spring, with snow melt I still treat the water to be safe. Hope this helps. Looks like you should be pretty light going in.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Good looking list. I am working on the same thing for my upcoming sheep hunt. What are your guys' thoughts on carrying a 50' section of actual climbing rope with you on hunts? I have 50' of paracord in my pack and am going back and forth on the heavier rope as well, it weighs about 14 oz, I've carried in on two goat hunts now and never got it out of the pack. Didn't see game bags on your list?, I'll be using TAG bags this year for the first time. Also do you carry any type of down jacket or vest? I have a KUIU superdown jacket and its the first thing that goes on when I stop to glass.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Keep the paracord, drop the climbing rope for sure.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Good list, a lot of the same stuff I carry. Suggestions would include: definitely the Aqua Mira - I have had "Beaver Fever" x3 and do not want to make it 4!, platypus water bottle weigh 1/2 or less than a Nalgene (used them for years), you didn't comment on rounds of ammo but 10 rounds should be plenty, lastly, on sheep hunts I do not carry stakes as there are always plenty of rocks to use to secure the tent tie downs. I would anticipate at least 10 lbs for food. All in all, you look pretty set. Good luck.
                          "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            re: the Yukon pants: they are not only supposed to be very tough but also very breathable. I will be hunting Snow Sheep this year and plan to use them as my everyday all day pants with long johns underneath as needed.
                            "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by xcrnr View Post
                              Okay so it was raining this morning so I thought I would do a "dry" run of all my gear for an AK range walk in this year. This is not all-inclusive (no food... or whiskey), but pretty close. I'm happy with the 36# weight of everything I have on this list - I figured I would throw it out there to you guys (and gals) to give some feedback. Please don't be rude or brutal; this is my 4th sheep hunt (2 in AK range and 2 in Chugach) and I've lived in AK for 35 years... I get it. I'm trying to be minimal and smart and most of my gear has been tried and tested before. I'm just pumped to get into the mountains again!!

                              KUIU Ultra 6000. KUIU Yukon pants, jacket, gaiters, and gloves. KUIU Merino 145, 185, 230 tops. KUIU merino cap and neck gaiter. KUIU guide beanie.
                              Icebreaker 230 merino pants
                              Salewa Raven mountaineering boots.
                              Sea to Summit mug (vinyl). Sea to Summit (e)vent dry sack(s) M,L.
                              SteriPen Adventurer UV light
                              Nalgene 1L bottle
                              Thermarest trail scout (S) pad
                              ZenRay 82mm Spotter
                              Steiner Safari binos 10x26 (I know they're not the best)
                              SLIK mini II tripod
                              Jetboil Zip and fuel
                              50' Parachute cord
                              Sierra Designs Orion AST 2m/3s tent w/ titanium MSR stakes
                              Smartwool hiking socks
                              Arcteryx fleece floves (I have Reynauds... so I need warm hands)
                              Black Diamond headlamp
                              CRKT knife (might switch to Havalon Piranta)
                              Mtn. Hardwear Ultralamina 0 degree sleeping bag
                              Misc: TP, emergency blanket, spork, Purell, tent repair kit, ammo.
                              Remington model 700 30.06
                              I know it's been recommended to ditch the jet boil but I love mine. I eat nothing but dehydrated/freeze dried foods and the jet boil is perfect for what I need. Very efficient. It's not the lightest but I've carried one canister of fuel for a weeklong trip and cooked three meals a day using it for four people. Of course that was simply boiling water for our meals but you can't go wrong with it.

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X