Caribou on North Slope Location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caribou on North Slope Location?

So I am planning a trip for the first up past adigan pass and hope to get a caribou. Has anyone driven up their lately that can give me a hint of where they are right now. Thanks!
    I'm prolly out using my bow or 30-30

I haven't been north but would expect they'll either be up on the coast or high in the hills running from the mosquito's....

Comment

Saw two bulls and a cow in deadhorse on Saturday, happened to be the same day the Mosquitos came out to play

Comment

I have been meaning to take the drive for a good while, just haven't yet. Has anyone seen any up the hills at Madigan pass?

Comment

Ive never seen any that far south this time of year. Assuming adigan and madigan are really spelled Atigun Pass that is. Hanging out on the coast is where I'd look.

Comment

They tend to stay near the coast this time of year,, they will start moving as the weather cools and the bugs start to thin a bit. Always a few to be found around the rivers and mountains.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

Sorry for the misspelling. I am typing on my phone and it loves to autocorrect. Any ideas how to get a caribou to stay cool from their back to Fairbanks? I planned on bringing a few coolers/ice, but not sure if there are places to grab more ice up by deadhorse. Any other ideas please fill me in.

Comment

Get Dry ice at Fred Meyers for your coolers, just remember to keep the drain plug out or loose for gas to escape.

Comment

You might have a few more days of catching them down in the bowhunting area, but they will move up to the coast by around the 3-4th of July. There is usually a big herd movement during the first 2-3 days of May just south of Deadhorse, but they move through very quickly. Remember, bulls only north of pump 2. I wouldn't bother going up until after the end of July if you can't get up there before the 4th.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBoy View Post
                    Sorry for the misspelling. I am typing on my phone and it loves to autocorrect. Any ideas how to get a caribou to stay cool from their back to Fairbanks? I planned on bringing a few coolers/ice, but not sure if there are places to grab more ice up by deadhorse. Any other ideas please fill me in.
                    I didn't see ice at Yukon camp or coldfoot when I was up there a month or so ago, the first ice re-stock would have basically been Fairbanks.

Comment

Meant to say there is a big herd movement the first 2-3 days of July, not May. Usually we would catch them late at night within 20 miles of Deadhorse.

Comment

I am bringing rifle and bow, from how I read the regs, starting July 1, both bulls and cows are open all in 26b

Comment

30 miles south of Deadhorse is the place to be if you want a bou right now.

Comment

Originally posted by whodat78 View Post
                            30 miles south of Deadhorse is the place to be if you want a bou right now.
                            Sounds good, tomorrow night ill be their waiting for the clock to strike 1201

Comment

They are definitely showing up more and more on lease, counted about twenty between the little and big put

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X