Low recoil moose hunting round for injured hunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low recoil moose hunting round for injured hunter

I went and screwed up my moose season this year by having coronary bypass surgery last week. My chest is supposed to heal by September and then I might begin shooting again. There is a snow balls chance in Hades that I might find myself in moose territory for a few days in late Setember. So, what guns would be a good choice for low recoil with an ethical kill on a legal size moose?
    The smallest gun in the safe is my wifes .308, and it is pretty short for me.

How are the lever guns on recoil? Anybody shoot a big pistol after heart surgery?

Low recoil moose hunting round for injured hunter

My first thought would be a high quality crossbow. Otherwise, 6.5 Mauser or 7mm-08 would definitely kill a moose without messing your recovery up too bad. The ruger scout rifle with its flash suppressor and short barrel has pretty tame recoil. I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alaskan expat, civil engineer, FAA consultant.

Comment

RCM

Ruger Compact Mag might be the way to go. Different calibers available, I shoot their .338 and it is a very light recoil.

Yes its discontinued production for RCM now, but its still quite a doable solution to get into for the long term.

Comment

As mentioned- 7-08, .308 I've had personal experience with and in the same vein- 7x57, 6.5x55, .257Rob, .270Win, .260 Rem,....even the .243 and 30-30 if you get close enough.

Moose don't require a cannon to take down- light cartridges have been putting them in the dirt for ages if you can shoot straight and pick your shot.. A close friend has shot a train load of them with the 7x57.
        "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Comment

I have a Savage Striker in 308 win that does real good on caribou and sheep. No reason that it would not also do the job, with a properly placed bullet. The Striker is a bolt action 'pistol' with a 15" barrel and mine has a 4x scope. It might be something to look at.

Comment

Originally posted by hodgeman View Post
            Moose don't require a cannon to take down- light cartridges have been putting them in the dirt for ages if you can shoot straight and pick your shot.. A close friend has shot a train load of them with the 7x57.
            Yup. Still the most common round used to kill moose on the planet is the 6.5 Mauser. Sweden manages their moose so well that they take I think 5 times more each year than Alaska and 90% are downed with those trusty old surplus Swedish mausers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Alaskan expat, civil engineer, FAA consultant.

Comment

I've hunted (and killed) moose with both a 270 Win. and a 30-30. Either one is sufficient for moose and is about as low recoil as you're going to get on a big game rifle. My personal preference would probably be the 270 simply because it is more versatile. The 30-30 does a fine job killing moose, but doesn't have the range that the 270 does.
              We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
              James Madison

Comment

I'd imagine a light load in 308 would be a good option.

PM sent
                My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Comment

perhaps a semi auto 308 so the gas takes up some of the recoil and change d the pad to a trap dude style.

Comment

+1 for the 6.5 mauser or 7mm mauser. The 260,7-08 and 308 should also have significantly reduced recoil over the 30-06 or larger cased rounds. A good LIMBSAVER recoil pad and a PAST shooting pad or jacket would also be a good investment.

Comment

I am thinking of a 264 win. A lot like a 270, especially if I load it down a bit.

Comment

Why not .308? Plenty for moose

Comment

The 308 is plenty for moose, if the stock is too short put a extender pad on it for you.
                          sigpic
                          Sweepint
                          Wasilla,
                          '' Livn' The Dream ''
                          26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Comment

Don't know much about hunting moose but it seems a solid handgun (44 mag/45 Colt) would beat up on your upper body less than a rifle. Most everything is soaked up in the arms. Best of luck on a speedy recovery.

Comment

260 Remington w/Nosler Trophy Grade 140 partitions or 6.5x55 (Good luck finding one)

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X