Is this hideous little bug a tick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this hideous little bug a tick?

I don't play with bugs as much now that I'm a grown man, but I saw this guy on the piping on my jobsite today and it really got my curiosity going. Is this a tick or other parasitic bug? I've never seen a bug like this since I've been in Anchorage (1990). Have they made it up here already? Does anyone have info on the parasitic bugs in Alaska?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alaskan expat, civil engineer, FAA consultant.

Nope, not a tick...they are from the evil weevil family of bugs and a strawberry pest though, and will eat into the fruit. I crush every one of those that I find.
    http://www.chris-schuster.com/Curculionidae

Comment

Looks like a Coleopteran (beetle) at a quick glance. Definitely NOT a tick.
      Go Big Red!

Comment

Originally posted by Tearbear View Post
        Nope, not a tick...they are a strawberry pest though, and will eat into the fruit. I crush every one of those that I find.

Beat me to it.

Not a tick.
        “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
        "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Comment

Looks like a strawberry root weevil.
          ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
          The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Originally posted by iofthetaiga View Post
            Looks like a strawberry root weevil.
            Bummer...didn't know they liked the roots as well On a side note, this thread should probably be in the gardening section...unless someone is planning on hunting them.

Comment

Looks like my Ex-wife.........please crush with extreme prejudice.
              ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, it is a delightful place to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Comment

That's good to know. What's the farthest north they've found ticks on moose or caribou?

Alaskan expat, civil engineer, FAA consultant.

Comment

Originally posted by highestview View Post
                  That's good to know. What's the farthest north they've found ticks on moose or caribou?

There are ticks here, and more coming north all the time. Likely only a matter of time before it's as bad as down south. Plug this into your search engine (without the quotes): "ticks site:http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com"
                  ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                  I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                  The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

These also eat notches in the edge of Rhododendron leaves-very crunchy little hard bodies

Comment

Future reference: at 1.2 million to 1, it is safe to say " if I don't like the looks of this I will kill it".

Lawyers disclaimer: this logic can not be used on people [emoji13]

Ron
                      "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Comment

Originally posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
                        Future reference: at 1.2 million to 1, it is safe to say "if I don't like the looks of this I will kill it"...
                        For me, it really doesn't have much to do with the way the bug looks, it's the damage they do in my strawberry patch...they are not allowed to chew on my berries, and will be crushed accordingly.

Comment

Those eat my 12" royal hibiscus plants. I kill them wholesale along with the green Chinese beetles.

Ron
                          "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Comment

I saw a tick that was brought into the Soldotna Emergency Room a couple weeks ago. It was passed on to Fish and Game I think. It was found on someone here visiting from Michigan that "swore" they didn't bring it with them. Ron, can you tell your friends to keep the riff raff home? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by smarion View Post
                              I saw a tick that was brought into the Soldotna Emergency Room a couple weeks ago. It was passed on to Fish and Game I think. It was found on someone here visiting from Michigan that "swore" they didn't bring it with them. Ron, can you tell your friends to keep the riff raff home? :-)
                              Oh isn't that nice...!!! Unfortunately, though I can't be sure, I may have found one attached to the side of my lab's mouth a couple days ago. The dog may have already scratched away the body and only head may have been attached. I noticed some blood there and just plucked away whatever it was. It bled off and on for awhile after that.......
                              Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X