Got above treeline and drew blood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got above treeline and drew blood

Went for a haymaker of a trip with my two boys and my dad and brother. What looked to be a simple exploratory trip turned out to be a full on climb up into the mtns. After one chewed up prop and alot of sweat and bug swatting we set up camp. Two little boys eyes wide open all night wanting stories kept me from sleeping! next day we finished off our hike to the top and cleared treeline about the same time the sun cleared the clouds. My youngest decided to garuntee us that we had a 99.9% chance at seeing a bear if we stayed there all day. well, 10am, magic hour, a long sow black bear stepped out right beside us and directly down wind. she didn't stay long and began to disapear into the brush, with no time for my boy to get set up for a shot he told me to shoot. Our little 243 at 150 yards dropped the bear after a 50 yard run into the brush. she squared right at 6'6" and skull was sealed at 16 5/8ths. Hide was in amazing shape. We seen four black bears, four caribou and a moose with fresh twin calves that afternoon.
    We headed back to work our way down the mtn to the boat just as the next two days of pouring rain set it. another soaked buggy walk to the boat, a night on the sandbar and the prop made it all the way home!!
    Attached Files
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Very nice. Great job. They'll remember that one forever.

Comment

That's fantastic! Kids will remember that the rest of their lives. Single or twins on your motor? Reminds me I need to spares as well. Great story...
      When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
      Blood Sport
      32' Custom Wooldridge
      MMSI #: 338181573

Comment

Looks like fun! Love the pic of the kids!!! I am impressed with the hair coat on her.

I know everyone has their own way of measuring a bear, and it is hard to judge by a photo... but if I had to guess from looking at her I'd quess she is somewhere in the 5'8" squared measurement
        Taxidermy IS art!
        www.alaskawildliferugs.com
        Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Comment

i measured it with my old guide tape measure!! it said 7'2" but i knocked it back to 6'6" just to be modest. but your right, everyone on here could measure it and get something different. which is why i posted the skull measurement (which seemed larger for a sow as well). its also getting late enough in the spring where the hides are loose and come off bigger than they look. but i thought 6'6" seemed big too...but that wasnt' really the point of the post. lets split the difference and say 6' even...how's that sound to everyone?!
          Master guide 212

Comment

Well done, Jake? How is your .416 dealing with your cheating on her?
            sigpicSpending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Comment

i had to sell the 416....great now i'm not gonna be able to sleep tonight....thanks for reminding me!! ahhhhggg
              Master guide 212

Comment

Well the 243 doesn't make his butt look big

Ron
                "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Comment

Originally posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
                  Well the 243 doesn't make his butt look big

Ron
                  Have you been checking? :nyanya:
                  Vegetables arenít food, vegetables are what food eats.

Comment

it is slimming....
                    Master guide 212

Comment

Originally posted by BRWNBR View Post
                      i had to sell the 416....great now i'm not gonna be able to sleep tonight....thanks for reminding me!! ahhhhggg

Sorry for your loss. I know that she will be missed, but you will always have the memories.:flowers:
                      sigpicSpending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Comment

Nice glossy coat. to have the boys with you is priceless. Congratulations.

Comment

Congrats brother. Awesome you shared it with so much family!

AZinAK

Comment

Looks to me in a few more years they will be hauling packs like dad and talking you back into the job you love. Congrats.
                            Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

Awesome! Good stuff. Glad you guys were successful. Making some great memories.
                              ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' sigpic Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X