Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tent recommendations for Kodiak Brownie hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent recommendations for Kodiak Brownie hunt?

My buddy and I have both drawn spring bear hunts down in Kodiak for 2015. Anybody have a recommendation as to what type tent we should use? We are being flown out on a Dehavilland so we should have the room for a decent tent. My buddy's brother is tagging along for the hunt as well so we need a good tent that sleeps 3. Was thinking bringing an Arctic Oven from Alaska Tent & Tarp but wasnt too keen on dropping over 1200-1500 on a tent. Anyone rent these tents on the forum in the Fairbanks area? Would it be a better idea to stick with our own backpacking tents and just go with a bear fence? Thoughts? PM's welcomed.

Shawn
    sigpic

You didn't mention if you are going to have to pack in at all or will be setting up camp at your drop off point. With three of you going,you'll need a six man tent which will give you just enough room for three guys and some of your gear inside. You'll want a good quality rain fly that goes all the way to the ground around the tent, not one of those hundreds on the market that look like a yamaka. Bomb Shelters are my go to tent in the bush but they are a four man tent. I've also used the Cabelas Guide series Dome tent in a 6 man version. They are lightweight for their size,good rain fly and they can withstand the winds. You can also get the vestibule witch gives you some more space inside to help keep items dry.

Comment

yeah we will be setting up camp on the drop-off and hunting out of there. i will check out those tents you mentioned.

shawn
      sigpic

Comment

Arctic oven AND a bear fence.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear74 View Post
          Arctic oven AND a bear fence.

+1,, My AO 10 and nuway stove is like being at home,, nothing like having a STAND up tent that is warm and dry. I have a Alaska Tent and Tarp

Pipeline, the larger one that I would rent. It is big enough for 3 and can be heated with a small cat stove. I used it for my Kodiak bear hunt, but you would be happier in the AO10. I have both in North Pole if you would like to see what they look like.
          "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

Hard to argue with or beat the comfort of an AO tent and stove, especially given the weather that Kodiak can throw at you.

Comment

Sapper, call my buddy Josh Horst in Fairbanks. He rents Arctic Ovens and stoves, and may have bear fences, too.

Here's his contact info. Solid guy and has lots of experience and great quality gear:

Joshua Horst, President
              Horst Expediting & Remote Operations
              ☎ (907) 378-7086 | FAX (409) 241-0922
              josh@horstexpediting.com | www.horstexpediting.com
              https://pristineventures.com

Comment

I have a 10X10 Bomb Shelter, have used it on many brown bear hunts. The Arctic Oven tents are awesome because you can use a stove in them! but I don't like to have smoke/fire when brown bear hunting!

We just got back from Cold Bay bear hunting in my buddies super cub, we saw 10-12 hunting camps along the way, most were guide camps, every camp looked like they had 1-4 bomb shelter tents in each camp.....their tried and proven to be the best tent for that kind of hunting, if there was better they would be using them....just sayin!
                "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Comment

BTW, don't be tempted to go with your dome tent and a bear fence. If you catch a chitty weather window, wind and heavy rain will flat instill misery. The AO tents are freakin awesome and well worth the effort and expense. Standing up, wood heat, weather proof, and bad arse all around.

Good luck
                  https://pristineventures.com

Comment

It blows on Kodiak???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUcs9kS4DRY

Ramhunter is spot on with keeping scent down until the bear hunting is over.

Comment

Ask Joe Want if he has a fire when bear hunting!!!!...

Comment

[QUOTE=stid2677;1400014]It blows on Kodiak???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUcs9kS4DRY

Ramhunter is spot on with keeping a scent down until the bear hunting is over.[/QUOTE

Yup, I agree...get that fire roaring after the bear/s are on the ground!

Comment

An AO 10' will be too small for three guys, however it would work if you take along one or two smaller tents to store gear in. Having a couple extra emergency tents around isn't a bad idea anyway.

Comment

We have had 3 in my AO 10 with vestibule, used bunks for one side and even had a propane stove.

I 100% agree on a back up tent, we always have an extra shelter.

Comment

So go with the bear fence regardless. Tents suggested are top.notch so go,with what you can afford. I sure like the idea of renting a artic oven plus stove which,is basically top of the line. Bring a chain saw to,feed the stove. Bring tons of grub and you will love the ao.
                              I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X