Scoping a .375H&H for a Kodiak brown bear hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoping a .375H&H for a Kodiak brown bear hunt

Is a Swaro 2.5-10x42 too much scope for this rifle and hunt?
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Nope. IMO thats just about right.

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
      Is a Swaro 2.5-10x42 too much scope for this rifle and hunt?
      Hey Romo,,,, here is what I've been using, since I've been toting a .375 Wby/H&H for Quite" sometime now, Ball's in your court.-:topjob:

[ USMC 1st Marine Div. 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi ] :topjob:

Comment

Your good with that scope Romo. FYI I'm Scottf270 on the other forums. I hunted on Kodiak this spring with a Leupy 1.75-6 with heavy reticle.

Comment

I've got a Leupold 2x7x33 on mine, plenty of eye relief so I don't scope myself, and plenty of zoom for any shot I'm planning on taking with a 375.
          Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
          "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
          I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Comment

I also have a Leupold 1.75-6 on mine

Comment

Scoping a .375H&H for a Kodiak brown bear hunt

The old leupold 1.5-5x is excellent for my 416 but the 375 probably has a little more usable range. I've had a 416 with a leupold 2-7 and that was a perfect setup. Good eye relief, good clarity and a close enough view for 250-400 yd shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Alaskan expat, civil engineer, FAA consultant.

Comment

Ditto for the 1.75x6 Leupold; but they are hard to find. However, if I was going to go out of my way for Kodiak hunt, I might go with the 1.5-5 Illuminated Leupold. I doubt any guide would let someone shoot a bear at a distance the 5X would be just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by redneck hunter View Post
                  Your good with that scope Romo. FYI I'm Scottf270 on the other forums. I hunted on Kodiak this spring with a Leupy 1.75-6 with heavy reticle.
                  Please tell us about your hunt. Did you get a Bear ? How many did you see ?

Comment

Just about any waterproof scope will work. I never seen a scope that you could see thru that wouldn't work just fine. Don't overthink this one.
                    Www.blackriverhunting.com
                    Master guide 212

Comment

I imagine that all of the recommendations above would work well. Just in case you want one more, I really like the Bushnell Elite 6500 1.25-8x 32mm on my .375 Wby. It basically goes from no magnification up to 8x, and is very clear. It has a full six inches of eye relief too: http://www.bushnell.com/all-products...-32mm,-multi-x

Comment

Perhaps I should clarify a bit.
                        Any adjustable zoom scope will work fine and if your looking at a dream bear thru it, well it just became the best scope ever!
                        Big objective lenses are nice but I prefer smaller scopes due to the nature of brush and having to carry a bigger object on my gun. Bigger they are more to go wrong sorta thing. Try to limit possible damage on a trip, exspecially to your scope!! I used a 1.5-5 leuy forever. Small, lower profile less to hit on stuff and the straight tube is sturdier. I once dropped my rifle and bent the eye piece on my scope to where it touched my thumb when I shouldered the rifle. I was still on a paper plate at 180 yards, even having to look up into my scope. Course, leuy sent me a brand new one the next week.
                        Www.blackriverhunting.com
                        Master guide 212

Comment

Originally posted by duckslayer56 View Post
                          I've got a Leupold 2x7x33 on mine, plenty of eye relief so I don't scope myself, and plenty of zoom for any shot I'm planning on taking with a 375.
                          Ditto, same setup on mine.

Ron
                          "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Comment

I put a 2.5-10 on my Kimber 375 H&H. Seems like a great power range for what I want to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
                              Seems like a great power range for what I want to do with it.
                              Personally, I think that's just it........what a person wants to do with it. If he wants to use heavy loads for a short range bear (only) gun then the smaller scopes should do him fine. If he wants to lighten the loads and reach out a bit for other animals as well, then the larger scopes should do the trick. Whatever he chooses get quality....that thing is a hammer and he needs something that will stand up to it.
                              Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X