Leave a comment:

• sh
    replied
    great story, thanks for posting. excellent

Leave a comment:

• AZinAK
    replied
    Originally posted by ckreitel View Post
    Well, I never said the meat was GOOD. Just that it's not bad and was better than expected... Not exactly the same thing! Haha.

I didn't think to ask Fish and Game on the age and they didn't tell me. But they did pull a tooth...
    You should be able to call Fish and Game in a year from now and get the age on him. They do them in batches. It was a year for my black bear (6 year old), and a year for my Arctic Grizz (19 year old). It will be neat for you to revive this thread in a year with the age! Congrats and nice bear!

AZinAK

Leave a comment:

• AK flyster
    replied
    Nice work Cody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• 4merguide
    replied
    Originally posted by ckreitel View Post
    Well, I never said the meat was GOOD. Just that it's not bad and was better than expected...
    My sentiments exactly...lol

Originally posted by Sollybug View Post
    Thanks for clarifying. I can assure you black bear can taste like veal and berry bears are prime. I've never tasted a brownie and sounds like that's not a bad thing.....
    Hard to beat a berry bear for sure. I had to try brownie and tried a young sow brownie. Edible, but....(see above). I would imagine a "special" marinade to help cut the grease might help.

Leave a comment:

• Sollybug
    replied
    Thanks for clarifying. I can assure you black bear can taste like veal and berry bears are prime. I've never tasted a brownie and sounds like that's not a bad thing.....

Leave a comment:

• Hunt'N'Photos
    replied
    What an opportunity! Congrats on the beautiful bruin! I am just trying everything I can to get them to find my bait site. Same basic place I have baited 5 years in the past, although I have moved it slightly because of increased pressure. Never had it go this long without getting hit....

Leave a comment:

• paulfair
    replied
    We were using a Small Sony AVCHD Camera. Just records onto a memory stick. Nice little inexpensive HD camera.

Leave a comment:

• timberman56
    replied
    Awsome ! congrats on a monster-and with a bow at that...great video; what kind of camera did you use ?

Leave a comment:

• paulfair
    replied
    Cody,

Here are some pictures for you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	2491877Click image for larger version

Name:	photo4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	2491878

Leave a comment:

• ckreitel
    replied
    Well, I never said the meat was GOOD. Just that it's not bad and was better than expected... Not exactly the same thing! Haha.

I didn't think to ask Fish and Game on the age and they didn't tell me. But they did pull a tooth...

Leave a comment:

• AKHUNTINFOOL
    replied
    Awesome video and congratulations on a beautiful trophy with a bow!

Leave a comment:

• 4merguide
    replied
    Originally posted by Sollybug View Post
    Believe it or not, taking huge boars like that actually boosts the population as they kill cubs.
    Yes, boars kill cubs, but cubs aren't the normal diet like moose, and moose calves are. I would think a boar can kill far more moose than bear cubs in it's lifetime. At least it takes awhile for bear cubs to grow enough to be able to kill a moose. And hopefully enough moose calves will grow to maturity by then as well.

I told this story awhile back and even though at least one person didn't believe it I'll tell it again. Years ago a guide friend of mine was flying in to find his hunter a big brownie. It was early spring and they were to hunt on snowshoes. On the flight in they found where a large boar had killed 9 moose. The moose just couldn't escape in the deep snow. The bear would just eat a little and go kill another one. They are like a cat with a mouse....just can't help themselves. They hunted that boar but never got it. As they were closing the distance the hunter finally gave out.

Thanks ckreitel for killing another big Kenai moose muncher....!!! :topjob:

Leave a comment:

• paulfair
    replied
    I'm still skeptical about the meat tasting good? However, when we cleaned it, it really didn't smell. In fact, I have smelled worse black bears. I'm thinking maybe his diet of bread and doughnuts absorbed everything?

Talk about fat too.....

Leave a comment:

• Sollybug
    replied
    Wow. Way to put in the time and get it done. Man, some hogs taken on the kenai this year! Believe it or not, taking huge boars like that actually boosts the population as they kill cubs. Perfect shot. You must have practiced a bit. Brown bear meat tastes good? Now everyone will want one!

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X