Need Some Pointers on Black Bear Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some Pointers on Black Bear Hunting

I start by first saying, no I'm not asking for your secret spot. I am looking for my own, but problem is, I don't know what I'm looking for. I've been hitting up a few different places over the past three weeks without much success. I like being outdoors and relaxing so it hasn't been time wasted, but I would like to eventually see and possibly harvest a bear.

I've gone south of Girdwood, Summit Lake area, and most recently Hatcher's Pass and everytime it looks like a great spot because I can glass entire mountainsides, like seriously covering some major ground and still I see nothing. I've been hiking in 2-5 miles each time.

My questions are, but not limited to if you have any helpful advice. What are the bears doing, are they in the lowlands or up in the mountains? What constitutes a good "spot"? What am I looking for in an area to be successful? Should I hit one spot over and over again, or somewhere new each time?

I'll freely admit I am new, but I'm trying to soak up as much knowledge as possible. I'm trying to at least get pointed in the right direction though.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Might try late at nite and very early, avoid the mid day.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Comment

what are some of your guy's thoughts on bear lures (such as baitem 907 or predator calls)

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelRyanSD View Post
        I start by first saying, no I'm not asking for your secret spot. I am looking for my own, but problem is, I don't know what I'm looking for..
        If you are hunting the mountains where there still might be snow, it would be nice to spot a black spot on a white background, and that's a possibility. But rather concentrate on really glassing hard at avalanche chutes and south facing hillsides where the snow has already melted. They may not be as easy to spot, but this is where the first greens will appear for bears to eat. As far as anywhere else....you really could run into one just about any place. Lowlands, foothills, you name it. I've seen blackies so many times when I wasn't looking for them, anywhere from crossing the highway in front of me, to walking along a glacier lake, to poking out on a river where I'm fishing. Soon the foliage will be so thick that it will pretty hard to actually go after one in the woods. That's why a lot of people bait them and make the bears come to them.
        Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

It's already getting hard to spot bears in the Alpine areas, as everything is so green now. They don't have much need to hang out in openings, but can find all their feed in denser forests. Moose calves are starting to drop, so find calving areas and try calling. Otherwise, find a baiting spot and start the feed trough.

Comment

Yeah I already took the test for the bear baiting license, but feel like its too late in the season to go set one up, was thinking about setting one up in GMU 16 when it opens up July 1st. What do you guys think about the bait em 907 products for a bear bait station?

Comment

Originally posted by willphish4food View Post
              It's already getting hard to spot bears in the Alpine areas, as everything is so green now. They don't have much need to hang out in openings, but can find all their feed in denser forests. Moose calves are starting to drop, so find calving areas and try calling. Otherwise, find a baiting spot and start the feed trough.
              AS far as calling goes, what sort of call would I make? I know I'm new, but I've never heard nor seen a "moose calving" sound. Or do you mean just use any sort of moose call?

Comment

This time of year is tough. I head out now and then in May as an excuse to get in the mountains (I'll be going on Monday), but I don't expect much in the way of success. If you really want to get a black bear, do what you're doing now - look high and cover ground - but do it in September. Your odds will go up appreciably.

Comment

AS far as calling goes, what sort of call would I make? I know I'm new, but I've never heard nor seen a "moose calving" sound. Or do you mean just use any sort of moose call?
                  Google black bear eating moose calf. There's a you tube video of it happening, with a very clear distress call. Mimic that and good luck! (just remember when calling: any bear coming your way is coming because he really really wants to eat you.)

Any animal distress call can work. Jackrabbit is a good one, and pup squalls can also work.

Comment

Yeah I already took the test for the bear baiting license, but feel like its too late in the season to go set one up, was thinking about setting one up in GMU 16 when it opens up July 1st. What do you guys think about the bait em 907 products for a bear bait station?
                    I just set my bait up and in 4 days it is getting hammered. Its never to late to set a bait.. I usually don't set a bait until may 15th-20th before then I personally believe it is a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by alaska2go View Post
                      I just set my bait up and in 4 days it is getting hammered. Its never to late to set a bait.. I usually don't set a bait until may 15th-20th before then I personally believe it is a waste of time.
                      Yep, What he said.

Comment

If I set up a bear bait site, what am I looking for to set up a "good" bear bait site in a "good" location, something near water? In the valleys. I would think I would want it in a mouth of a valley where all the draws sort of merge, preferably near water.

Comment

By the way, I've been pouring over this site for all the info I can soak in, bought a few books to read, anything I can get my hands on. I think I'm hooked....

Comment

If I set up a bear bait site, what am I looking for to set up a "good" bear bait site in a "good" location, something near water? In the valleys. I would think I would want it in a mouth of a valley where all the draws sort of merge, preferably near water.
                            basically a funnel w/ water close by

Comment

As far as bait. Any place that is legal. If u bait it they will come.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X