Brown bears so farů

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I know for a fact the one my buddy shot was spot and stalk, and amazingly he killed it with a 30-06 with 180 grain core-lokts. At first I didn't believe him because he didn't kill it with a 500 Nitro Express, but he was able to supply proof that he killed it with a 30-06. I guess the 30-06 will kill brown bears afterall!
    I shot a big boar today with a 30.06...

Comment

Originally posted by joshlaska View Post
      I shot a big boar today with a 30.06...
      as "they" say......pics or it didn't happen.
      Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
        as "they" say......pics or it didn't happen.
        My first brown bear!

That's my Ruger 30.06 in my hand. 100 yards and one shot. (Have witnesses with signed and notarized affidavits )

Comment

I suppose I'm not great at figuring out how to add a photo...

Comment

Nice bear!!! Congrats
            Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
            "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Comment

Congratulations Josh.
              ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, it is a delightful place to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Comment

Good job Josh! Story time now. What unit? Over bait? Etc etc.
                Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine! :whistle:
                WWG1WGA! QANON

Comment

Congrats on the bear, & nice shot. I heard from someone here on the forum...if ya can't kill it with a 30.06 ya better run! (Nothing against the rest of those bigger calibers out there.)

Comment

Am I the only one shooting 220 grain bullets out of my 06 ?
                    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                      Absolutely not!!!!

Comment

I run 220 Core-Lokts in my '06

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                        ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, it is a delightful place to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Comment

Originally posted by cod View Post
                          Good job Josh! Story time now. What unit? Over bait? Etc etc.
                          Shot him in Unit 7 over bait.

Had a sensei last year who was kind enough to show us how to bait black bears (be kind to new hunters who are eager to learn and do the work to figure it out - it is so nice when someone is). I killed a black bear in the Sound last year, but never over bait. We loved the meat.

This year, me and the dude in the photo with me decided to go it alone on baiting. We did a bunch of snowshoeing looking for a tough to get to, but good spot. Found one. Waited for the snow to melt and confirmed.

Started getting a nice black bear visiting a few times a day starting last week. Started sitting the bait more regularly. Tree stand exactly 105 yards from bait.

I bought the locking tag as a "just in case." Didn't have a ton of interest in hauling out a bunch of brown bear meat.

Last night, saw black bear behind bait, but he circled and just never came up. Waited and waited. And then the brownie walked out. Explained the black bear's hesitation. Big bear. I had watched the hour long video on the ADFG website on identifying males vs females and determined I was almost certain it was a male.

So I shot him. He fell on his side. Jumped around a bit and walked off slowly. My inexperience showed in that I didn't dial my scope back out - I could have gotten him a second time if I had done this.

We had a blast doing the blood track. Less of a blast cutting him up and hauling nearly every bit of the thing back to the truck. But we succeeded.

8ft tall. 27 3/10 inch skull. Super excited for the rug.

I should mention, Cod, your story about your bear made me want a brown bear much more. A part of me wishes that my first brown bear wasn't over bait, but it was as such.

On a final note, this forum is great. I glean so much good information from many of you. AGL4Now, I read nearly every comment you post. I probably owe you a beer or a 30 pack or something.

Comment

Thank You for harvesting a huge Brown Bear in unit# 7.

Comment

Thats a monster, Josh! Twenty seven and three tenths skull? Wow! Congratulations again.
                              I agree that the forum is a great motivator and learning tool. There's been plenty of great stories on here over the yrs and I certainly owe credit for many on here for motivational stories (such as stid's) that have inspired me. So I know what u speak of. I hope that regular joe hunters like me being successful can spark other 'regular joe hunters' to success also. Put in a little time like u did and .... Viola! Good job!
                              Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine! :whistle:
                              WWG1WGA! QANON

Comment

Got word of another 8' taken in unit 7 & with a bow. Can't wait to see the pictures. There have been a few nice ones pulled out this spring for sure.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X