No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland on the River
    replied
    Sounds like quite a few HUGE Bears taken this spring.

Leave a comment:

• cod
    replied
    I just heard of another fella I know down my way that I hear got a " ten foot bear". As quoted from the taxi. All I know at this pt is the info as I just stated. Hope to pass along more info if I get it.

Leave a comment:

• limon32
    replied
    Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
    I think I heard about that one, unless there's been two now killed by long bow....???
    The one I saw was Sunday, I assumed he shot it Sunday morning but I didn't ask. For that matter it was my assumption he shot it in 15a because it was still strapped to a wheeler, but perhaps that's incorrect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• 4merguide
    replied
    Originally posted by limon32 View Post
    took it with a long bow out of a stand, which I thought was cool!
    I think I heard about that one, unless there's been two now killed by long bow....???

Leave a comment:

• limon32
    replied
    I saw the neighbors unloading one that I THINK came from 15A, I don't know the guys well but they let me look at it, took it with a long bow out of a stand, which I thought was cool!

Leave a comment:

• AKMarmot
    replied
    Got word of another 8' taken in unit 7 & with a bow. Can't wait to see the pictures. There have been a few nice ones pulled out this spring for sure.

Leave a comment:

• cod
    replied
    Thats a monster, Josh! Twenty seven and three tenths skull? Wow! Congratulations again.
    I agree that the forum is a great motivator and learning tool. There's been plenty of great stories on here over the yrs and I certainly owe credit for many on here for motivational stories (such as stid's) that have inspired me. So I know what u speak of. I hope that regular joe hunters like me being successful can spark other 'regular joe hunters' to success also. Put in a little time like u did and .... Viola! Good job!

Leave a comment:

• AGL4now
    replied
    Thank You for harvesting a huge Brown Bear in unit# 7.

Leave a comment:

• joshlaska
    replied
    Originally posted by cod View Post
    Good job Josh! Story time now. What unit? Over bait? Etc etc.
    Shot him in Unit 7 over bait.

Had a sensei last year who was kind enough to show us how to bait black bears (be kind to new hunters who are eager to learn and do the work to figure it out - it is so nice when someone is). I killed a black bear in the Sound last year, but never over bait. We loved the meat.

This year, me and the dude in the photo with me decided to go it alone on baiting. We did a bunch of snowshoeing looking for a tough to get to, but good spot. Found one. Waited for the snow to melt and confirmed.

Started getting a nice black bear visiting a few times a day starting last week. Started sitting the bait more regularly. Tree stand exactly 105 yards from bait.

I bought the locking tag as a "just in case." Didn't have a ton of interest in hauling out a bunch of brown bear meat.

Last night, saw black bear behind bait, but he circled and just never came up. Waited and waited. And then the brownie walked out. Explained the black bear's hesitation. Big bear. I had watched the hour long video on the ADFG website on identifying males vs females and determined I was almost certain it was a male.

So I shot him. He fell on his side. Jumped around a bit and walked off slowly. My inexperience showed in that I didn't dial my scope back out - I could have gotten him a second time if I had done this.

We had a blast doing the blood track. Less of a blast cutting him up and hauling nearly every bit of the thing back to the truck. But we succeeded.

8ft tall. 27 3/10 inch skull. Super excited for the rug.

I should mention, Cod, your story about your bear made me want a brown bear much more. A part of me wishes that my first brown bear wasn't over bait, but it was as such.

On a final note, this forum is great. I glean so much good information from many of you. AGL4Now, I read nearly every comment you post. I probably owe you a beer or a 30 pack or something.

Leave a comment:

• AGL4now
    replied
    I run 220 Core-Lokts in my '06

Originally posted by Roger View Post
    Am I the only one shooting 220 grain bullets out of my 06 ?

Leave a comment:

• Frostbitten
    replied
    Originally posted by Roger View Post
    Absolutely not!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Roger
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Tearbear
    replied
    Congrats on the bear, & nice shot. I heard from someone here on the forum...if ya can't kill it with a 30.06 ya better run! (Nothing against the rest of those bigger calibers out there.)

Leave a comment:

• cod
    replied
    Good job Josh! Story time now. What unit? Over bait? Etc etc.

Leave a comment:

• AGL4now
    replied
    Congratulations Josh.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X