So I walked out onto the porch...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I walked out onto the porch...

and I see a brownish looking bear within 30 feet of me. I walk a little farther around the porch and see more. So I grabbed the 12 gauge and looked out the back window. I almost walked into this. A sow with 4 cubs. They are 3 years old now, she and the family were around Valdez for the past 2 summers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140507_124948[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	2513216

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Pretty cool. Do you have the brown fuzzies visiting your bait stands, too?
    sigpicSpending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Comment

I remember seeing them when I was down there working on the highway back in 2012. Pretty awesome to see they're still around!

Comment

With cubs that size if mom thinks your a problem its five bears on the attack. Stay alert brother.
        Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Comment

What is the proper terminology for that? Herd? Pack? Flock? Bunch? Bleepload?

Comment

A sloth or sleuth unless you are within 30 feet of them. Then there are a whole bunch of terms that fit.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

just how many shells that 12 guage hold?

Comment

If they are 3 years old, aren't they legal to shoot (if the area and season is open)?

Comment

The 12 only holds 4 - 3" mags. Who would of thought I'd need an extender for the house gun.

Legal Bears - The whole group is. BUT - they are also a major entertainment group here in Valdez. As much as I would love to take one with the bow, nada. Sometimes watching nature means more than making a rug.

Patriot Life Member NRA

Comment

Thats great, I seen them twice last year. I bet they are some of the most photographed wild bears in AK

Comment

We got some great photos and video of them last year in Valdez down by the hatchery chowing down on salmon. Pretty cool... but they're not in MY backyard!
                      "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Comment

cool! Impressive that she had 4 babies & they all survived this long!

Comment

I wonder what kind of a den they had this past winter? That's a neat picture and thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by jubilation View Post
                            cool! Impressive that she had 4 babies & they all survived this long!
                            I saw a video of a sow with 6 cubs once. If I remember correctly they said she didn't birth all of them, but adopted a couple, as they will do that....
                            Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X