The cost of hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The cost of hunting

So I hunt. But I've never spent a lot of money on hunting. I use a nice rifle, and a nice knife. I did buy a canoe this year to help me get to my hunting spots. No high speed low drag camouflage for me. No spotting scopes. No guides. None of that (Not b/c I don't want to, but I don't feel the need...yet)

So do we as hunters spend to much money on hunting? Is all that gear necessary? Am I spoiled b/c I live in a good area?

Necessary, clearly not, helpful, sure.

I have been carrying a used interarms rifle about 6 years now. I paid $450 for it, it shoots great. It's ugly, scratched and it has a few rust spots.

I suspect most guys could make a similar analysis of much if their gear.

I did leave a caribou hunt early last year because my partner brought a CRAPPY tent. There are some things that paying for quality probably makes or breaks a hunt, like said tent...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The cost of hunting....should never be contemplated.
      Nick Clegg
      Husband, Father, Hunter,
      Usually in that order
      http://nixoutdoorpursuits.blogspot.com/

Comment

Cost of hunting:
        As a means of feeding the family, the cost of hunting in terms of weapons, gear, vehicles, fuel, time off from work etc. far exceeds the monetary costs of the food it puts on the table. My harvest rate is so low that strictly in terms of numbers (dollars), I should quit hunting altogether and just buy meat.

Cost of not hunting:
        Devestating and unimaginable.

Comment

Alaska is an expensive place to hunt overall regarding access for most and buying a wheeler, jet boat, plane, or paying for drop off flights is pricey. Some people live close to where they hunt and are able to save loads on fuel/transportation. Crappy basic equipment here can cost a life.

I truly think that the experiences and memories had by folks hunting or in the great outdoors cannot have a price point, and people should do what they can afford and just enjoy the time they have on this earth. Memories are priceless!

Comment

Frostbitten pinned it.
            The cost of hunting (and fishing) usually far exceeds the cost of going to the store and buying the same poundage of meat or fish, depending on the species.

Anything put on the table as a result of hunting or fishing, the way I look at it, is pure profit, because I was going to spend the money to go, regardless of whether I was successful or not.

Taxidermy IS art!
            www.alaskawildliferugs.com
            Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Comment

Originally posted by Frostbitten View Post
              Cost of hunting:
              As a means of feeding the family, the cost of hunting in terms of weapons, gear, vehicles, fuel, time off from work etc. far exceeds the monetary costs of the food it puts on the table. My harvest rate is so low that strictly in terms of numbers (dollars), I should quit hunting altogether and just buy meat.

Cost of not hunting:
              Devestating and unimaginable.
              Yah, but cool experiences in the wild that you can't get in a store: priceless....

Comment

Originally posted by swampdonkey View Post
                Yah, but cool experiences in the wild that you can't get in a store: priceless....
                Exactly!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

For a lot of us that were in the construction trade there was a two week window in September. It was the only holliday we could get off.( boss's wer'nt happy at the time but were they going to fire us, lol) sometimes our jobs were suspended due to the weather in the winter so we took time off to fill the frezzer in the fall to last out the winter.

Alot of you don't have this problem as you have year time jobs so don't judge.

Comment

Originally posted by limon32 View Post
                    Necessary, clearly not, helpful, sure.

I have been carrying a used interarms rifle about 6 years now. I paid $450 for it, it shoots great. It's ugly, scratched and it has a few rust spots.

I suspect most guys could make a similar analysis of much if their gear.

I did leave a caribou hunt early last year because my partner brought a CRAPPY tent. There are some things that paying for quality probably makes or breaks a hunt, like said tent...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Good point about the tent. I have a decent tent that I bought for my backpacking trips. I am looking for a hunting tent (an added cost).

Comment

Originally posted by AKBEE View Post
                      Alaska is an expensive place to hunt overall regarding access for most and buying a wheeler, jet boat, plane, or paying for drop off flights is pricey. Some people live close to where they hunt and are able to save loads on fuel/transportation. Crappy basic equipment here can cost a life.

I truly think that the experiences and memories had by folks hunting or in the great outdoors cannot have a price point, and people should do what they can afford and just enjoy the time they have on this earth. Memories are priceless!
                      I like this. I am lucky. I just have to get in a boat and ride a little upriver and I am in prime moose country. Last weekend while goose hunting I saw 9 moose trying to cross the river.

I just have a hard time dropping a lot of coin on non essentials, however, if I was hunting in another area, I suppose I would drop the coin if I needed to.

Comment

Originally posted by JuliW View Post
                        Frostbitten pinned it.
                        The cost of hunting (and fishing) usually far exceeds the cost of going to the store and buying the same poundage of meat or fish, depending on the species.

Anything put on the table as a result of hunting or fishing, the way I look at it, is pure profit, because I was going to spend the money to go, regardless of whether I was successful or not.

Well said...I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rock_skipper View Post
                          For a lot of us that were in the construction trade there was a two week window in September. It was the only holliday we could get off.( boss's wer'nt happy at the time but were they going to fire us, lol) sometimes our jobs were suspended due to the weather in the winter so we took time off to fill the frezzer in the fall to last out the winter.

Alot of you don't have this problem as you have year time jobs so don't judge.
                          Yeah...the job that I can't take off of to go hunting sucks. i can pretty much only hunt on weekends or after school. Which kind of sucks b/c I depend on the meat to make it through the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
                            Yeah...the job that I can't take off of to go hunting sucks. i can pretty much only hunt on weekends or after school. Which kind of sucks b/c I depend on the meat to make it through the winter.
                            Your a school teacher. Hard to believe you depend on hunted meat. You must mean you depend on it by choice.
                            Yes, your spoiled because you live and work in a good area. You can access the country around you quite a bit cheaper than hunters in other areas.
                            I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
                            I have less friends now!!

Comment

My last moose cost me a tank of gas and one sg slug.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X