Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Watched a Big Bear....Green Sedges are growing an 1" a day, Bear food.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Just Watched a Big Bear....Green Sedges are growing an 1" a day, Bear food.

    I was just watching a large bear feeding on the hillside. Where the snow slides removed the snow, and the sun (76 degrees here) has been hitting the brown for a few weeks, the sedges are 3" high.

    You Spot & Stalk bears hunters need to get on'it, the leaves generally unfurl around May 14-15'ish. My guess is you got this and next weekend, then when the leaves unfurl the bears in the willows and alders are obscured.


    You will be hard pressed to have a cheaper Brown Bear hunt than this spring on the Kenai Peninsula.


    Someone needs to be posting how many Brown Bear Sows are harvested this spring on the Kenai Peninsula. Do I understand the season will close when "X" amount of Sows are harvested......????
    "Essential......to Prepping for Survival, is to be able to segregate, what you think will happen, from what you hope will happen, from what you fear will happen, from what is happening".

  • #2
    I will be in hope this weekend with my son ...trying to get him his first bear we will be there sat and Sunday coming back Monday morning. Thanks for the update good to know they are moving around
    "Horns make pi$* poor soup"

    Comment


    • #3
      Oh, I love hearing about bears coming out...... Maybe I can get away next week!
      Taxidermy IS art!
      www.alaskawildliferugs.com
      Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

      Comment


      • #4
        Stopped by F&G in Anchorage and was asking about Kenai Brown Bear hunting rules, F&G said that since the Fed ruling about Kenai Brown bears has not been final you could still hunt them on Fed. Land. Any one know what the Feds say? F&G also said closure when 13 sows are down.

        Comment


        • #5
          Stopped by fur and feathers today and they told me 17 sows and it's game over, I will definitely be targeting boars to give others a good shot.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by doogiehauz View Post
            Stopped by fur and feathers today and they told me 17 sows and it's game over, I will definitely be targeting boars to give others a good shot.


            Hopefully that will be the prevailing attitude amongst the bear hunters...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by .338WM View Post
              [/B]Hopefully that will be the prevailing attitude amongst the bear hunters...
              It NEEDS to be if we still want to be killing bears........
              Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by AGL4now
                I was just watching a large bear feeding on the hillside. Where the snow slides removed the snow, and the sun (76 degrees here) has been hitting the brown for a few weeks, the sedges are 3" high.


                We eat sedge ("sedges have edges") in summer, the root part under the mud/water ... but never found them on hillsides. Different country there I guess.
                Mark Richards
                www.residenthuntersofalaska.org

                Comment


                • #9
                  Ankle biters definition: "Annoying small things (Like sand fleas) that feel compelled to attempt to discredit other forum members. Generally in attempt to appear superior in knowledge"

                  I guess I should have said, "Green Vegetation".

                  Note: I was trying to help & motivate hunters. I like to think they appreciate that. Clearly it offends this forums "BIG'Dog".

                  SEDEGES: Any of numerous grasslike plants of the family Cyperaceae, having solid stems, leaves in three vertical rows, and spikelets of inconspicuous flowers, with each flower subtended by a scalelike bract.




                  Originally posted by bushrat View Post
                  We eat sedge ("sedges have edges") in summer, the root part under the mud/water ... but never found them on hillsides. Different country there I guess.
                  [/COLOR]
                  "Essential......to Prepping for Survival, is to be able to segregate, what you think will happen, from what you hope will happen, from what you fear will happen, from what is happening".

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    One of the best posts I have read in a while :O)


                    Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                    Ankle biters definition: "Annoying small things (Like sand fleas) that feel compelled to attempt to discredit other forum members. Generally in attempt to appear superior in knowledge"

                    I guess I should have said, "Green Vegetation".

                    Note: I was trying to help & motivate hunters. I like to think they appreciate that. Clearly it offends this forums "BIG'Dog".

                    SEDEGES: Any of numerous grasslike plants of the family Cyperaceae, having solid stems, leaves in three vertical rows, and spikelets of inconspicuous flowers, with each flower subtended by a scalelike bract.
                    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yesterday morning I headed out early to the Kenai Mountains looking for bears. The leaves on the trees were still tucked away in their buds. By late afternoon yesterday most of the leaf buds had broken and the leaves were starting to expand. Today many of the leaves were free of buds and starting to expand. Like AGL says, two weekends at best. I glassed a large hillside for several hours mid day and didn't see any activity. It was probably too hot and the bears were resting in the shade.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I took family visiting from FL out to Beluga Point Friday and we spotted 2 nice brown bears while we were glassing the mountain side. I am ready for them to leave and close on the house we are buying so I can get out and hunt bear!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                          Ankle biters definition: "Annoying small things (Like sand fleas) that feel compelled to attempt to discredit other forum members. Generally in attempt to appear superior in knowledge"

                          I guess I should have said, "Green Vegetation".

                          Note: I was trying to help & motivate hunters. I like to think they appreciate that. Clearly it offends this forums "BIG'Dog".

                          SEDEGES: Any of numerous grasslike plants of the family Cyperaceae, having solid stems, leaves in three vertical rows, and spikelets of inconspicuous flowers, with each flower subtended by a scalelike bract.
                          Guide to sedges: http://aknhp.uaa.alaska.edu/wp-conte...Sedges-all.pdf

                          Guide to Ankle Biters: http://www.somethingawful.com/movie-...nkle-biters/1/
                          ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                          The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

                          Comment

                          Footer Adsense

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X