No announcement yet.

No season, no limit, SCI helicopter hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Until it's more than just a rumor, I wouldn't get bent out of shape about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Alaskan expat, civil engineer, FAA consultant.

Comment

Originally posted by homerdave View Post
      So rumor has it that at a recent SCI event some "hunts" of feral reindeer were auctioned off out of Nome. I guess this guy( Johnny Walker?) has a license for a reindeer farm, but has never really developed it. Now he has a Robinson chopper and is selling hunts at $7k a pop.
      Sure irks me that this type of "hunt" is going to get auctioned off along with the governors tags that just got pimped through HB 161.
      not even comparable, unless of course you are SCI I guess.
      I'm going to be taking this one with the world's largest grain of salt until someone points me towards some facts rather than guess what I heard. As for the helicopter sheep hunts.......keep wearing the tin foil hat man.

Brett

Comment

Every time I've been on Nunivak, the only remnants of reindeer we saw was a cloud of dust. They are not the easiest animal to hunt by any means. I think the logic behind this is that SCI has a reindeer category and there are very few places in the world where you can hunt them free range.

Comment

Free range domesticated reindeer from a helo....that's funny! More a function of a dentist from Texas who wants to brag to his buddies about his " Great Alaskan Adventure".

Comment

Originally posted by AK Ray View Post
            Several years ago a SCI head dude was pushing me to take an opportunity to head to Australia to shoot camels and donkies with a full auto weapon from a helicopter as part of a culling operation. Did not sound like fun.
            WHAT?! Sounds like a truck load of fun!!!
            Totally depends on who's riding the camels I guess.

Comment

I have guided a lot of SCI hunters and its all about getting their name in the book. Big turn off to me. But different strokes for different folks.

Comment

I have no idea if the story in the op is true or not but over the years I have definitely noticed a whole lot of negative attitudes toward SCI on this forum. I must be missing something cause for all the years I have been a member of SCI I have seen them support several wildlife related projects, I have seen them fight to preserve hunters rights around the world, keep hunting opportunities open for all, donating to the food pantry, and a whole lot of other beneficial projects and endeavors. What am I missing? Why do so many people have a negative attitude about SCI?

Comment

Originally posted by safari View Post
                  What am I missing? Why do so many people have a negative attitude about SCI?
                  I think it's high fence "hunting" and other similar things that many folks have a negative attitude about, not necessary SCI. Since SCI recognizes such "trophies", they're understandably lumped in with some practices that many of us feel reflect poorly on hunting. Personally, I recognize that SCI has done a lot of good thing and supports a number of worthy causes. I have recently gotten a sour taste in my mouth due to their support of increased auction permits, though. That said, it wasn't just SCI that was pushing for this change - though they did lobby very forcefully for it.

Comment

Originally posted by safari View Post
                    I have no idea if the story in the op is true or not but over the years I have definitely noticed a whole lot of negative attitudes toward SCI on this forum. I must be missing something cause for all the years I have been a member of SCI I have seen them support several wildlife related projects, I have seen them fight to preserve hunters rights around the world, keep hunting opportunities open for all, donating to the food pantry, and a whole lot of other beneficial projects and endeavors. What am I missing? Why do so many people have a negative attitude about SCI?
                    SCI has a bad image problem. Lot's of people see the record book and silly self promoting awards and think that is SCI. As you stated above SCI is a lot more and does a lot more. SCI is the NRA of hunting and conservation. You may not agree with them ever time, but you can be sure your butt would be in a sling if they weren't around.

Brett

Comment

Originally posted by SkwentnaMan View Post
                      I have guided a lot of SCI hunters and its all about getting their name in the book. Big turn off to me. But different strokes for different folks.
                      There's nothing worse (in my opinion) than asking someone about how their hunt went and the first thing out of their mouth was all my animals made gold medal SCI. Really? Did you have a good time? Was the hunt a challenge? Did you enjoy the country you hunted in? Was the outfitter fun to share camp with? Obviously there's a lot of this in SCI, but there's also people like me who've never had an animal measured by SCI, B&C, P&Y, or anyone else for that matter and I'm and SCI life member.

Brett

Comment

Originally posted by BrettAKSCI View Post
                        but you can be sure your butt would be in a sling if they weren't around.
                        "MY...???" butt would be in a sling? Sorry but you'll have to explain that one to me Brett....if you would. And maybe for the benefit of others here as well....
                        Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BrettAKSCI View Post
                          SCI has a bad image problem. Lot's of people see the record book and silly self promoting awards and think that is SCI. As you stated above SCI is a lot more and does a lot more. SCI is the NRA of hunting and conservation. You may not agree with them ever time, but you can be sure your butt would be in a sling if they weren't around.

Brett
                          +1... not a member of SCI but I can totally get the correlation between them and the NRA.

There are a lot of factors in running a large activist organization and it takes mega $$$ to do it. Unfortunately, only the worst parts of such orgs get the press and publicity...and it draws a lot of friendly fire. I gotta admit, with SCI at any rate, for me their excellent conservation work (including a couple of programs I support personally) is frequently overshadowed by the kowtowing to globe trotting trophy hunters looking for an entry in the book.
                          "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Comment

I have a similar mindset as Brett on record books, not sure I'll ever enter an animal into a record book even if I happen to shoot one big enough. I honestly don't like how organizations and record books refer to animals as trophies. I think an animal deserves a lot more respect than merely referring to them as trophies. After the "spider bull" I've lost all respect for Boone & Crockett. I guess anyone can shoot a record book animal if they buy a coveted auction tag then hire a team of guides to track it all summer and hold you by the hand to shoot it.

I still support SCI and plan on becoming a member here soon, because minus the record books and some catering to rich hunters, the overall work they do is good. I dream of hunting Africa someday and the only way that will happen is supporting groups like SCI, because Africa would not have a hunting industry if it wasn't for hunter advocacy organizations. Even with good money that hunters bring in, it is still hard to maintain hunting opportunities in these countries, look no further than Botswana.

As far as hunting a private reindeer herd with a helicopter, I don't think it's a big deal. I've never rode in a helicopter before but I imagine it is probably pretty fun. If someone wants to stay at a nice hotel or lodge, get a little helo ride, shoot a privately owned reindeer, and then head home, it doesn't bother me. In New Zealand I've watched some of the Tar hunts on outdoor channel and if a hunter isn't in good shape, they'll fly them up in a helicopter and land right next to the tar, then start shooting. Now if these were special hunt conditions for publicly managed animals, that's a different story.

Does anyone who follows the legislature better than me know if the most recent version that was posted on legislative website in regards to HB161 was the version that was passed? Because if it was, it looks like the biggest pieces of contention: the 100% sheep tag was moved to the 70/30 grouping, and the hunt conditions set by the commissioner clause was changed back to applicable law.

Comment

i agree with most comments made in about the last 8 posts. if the SCI would just do away with the "high fence" ...i guess they call it hunting then id prob be more supportive of them. the fact they dont seem to deter this kind of "hunting" puts me off to them completely. as far as 33outdoorsman stated after the spider bull the boone and crock of sh*t club is in the same boat. how does having a crew of a couple dozen people scouring and keeping tabs on a particular animal for one high paying hunter equate to fair chase is beyond me. with the inequality of hunting in the lower 48 by the means of huge private leases its hard to even appreciate many "book" animals because they are becoming reserved for the highest dollar not about hard work and effort. its all pretty sad really. many if not most of the older trophys were "equal opportunity" bucks and bulls that anyone had a chance at now if you pay enough you to can get your name in the B&C book. i laugh when i read the B & C statistics of where in some states the trophys are coming from because many people in the last 20years have had the good sense not to enter animals that would score very highly. it would make sense to me if you harvest "trophy" animals to keep it quiet or your just bringing more attention to your areas. oh well i guess some feel the need to pound their chest once and a while.

Comment

Originally posted by 33outdoorsman
                                Does anyone who follows the legislature better than me know if the most recent version that was posted on legislative website in regards to HB161 was the version that was passed? Because if it was, it looks like the biggest pieces of contention: the 100% sheep tag was moved to the 70/30 grouping, and the hunt conditions set by the commissioner clause was changed back to applicable law.

Yes, that final version is what passed and awaits governor's signature. Alaska Backcountry Hunters and others specifically asked for those changes and we're glad SCI went along with them. That took some of the sting out of it, but we're still not at all pleased with allocating more governor tags to the wealthy, even if it funds more non-profit educational activities.

Mark Richards
                                www.residenthuntersofalaska.org

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X