sheep pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tony,
    I assume your talking about my ram since I stated there was an issue with it. I was pretty surprised that he said it wasn't full-curl and got a heck of a lump in my throat. Then he started counting rings and said it was 9.5 so it was legal (my taxidermist says its 10.5). Once I knew it was legal I calmed down a little and tried to explain to him the fault in his way of judging full-curl. If you look at the first picture you can see how the left horn is a bit lower than the right horn (the ram's right, left side of the picture). Well he was using a "shelf bracket" as a straight line, but it was only about 18" long, the tip to tip spread on that ram is a little over 27"s. So he'd put it level across the bases, which again the left one was a bit lower than the right one also, and check the left horn. You could see the bracket was not level as far as the eye sockets go but he'd slide it out to the tip and it wouldn't touch, about a half inch shy. Then he'd go to the right side and the bracket would be pointed up at a higher angle and miss by about a half inch. I told him he needed a yard stick because you could see that the straight line, if extended, would make him legal by probably an inch. He disagreed stating this is how they were instructed to do it, but I told him in effect he was making "V" with the bracket so it wasn't a "straight" line. About that time the bio came out of his office and was looking at the right horn from a few feet away and it was obviously full-curl. So he had the other guy come and view it from that angle. They talked about it for a bit and decided that if it looks full curl from the side then it should be full-curl, since that is what the hunter would see in the field. It was an interesting discussion and since the ram already had a green tag attached it wasn't like I was going to lose the horns either way. I hope it did help in future decisions they made and maybe someone was able to get a borderline legal ram registered that would have otherwise not have been. From reading these boards I later came to the conclusion that this particular registration station was probably one of the hardest to get a green tag at.
    I assume in a couple years they will have a decent system in place to determine full-curl, but as with most things there is always a period of time where things are a little gray for all involved.
    Best of luck to all those lucky enough to hunt them this fall.

Comment

The Nightmare Continues

Thanks for digging out the photos and sharing! I like the recap of the discussions you heard during the sealing process. It goes to show once again that there is NO standard of measure. I find it sad that biologists can't agree with the horns sitting in front of them on a table. Your suppose to do the same thing at a distance.
      I wonder if anyone from Fish & Game monitors this Forum and reads what is being said. Maybe they could take a few pointers back to the office and get their act together.
      Like I say, the nightmare continues. But thanks again for the great photos.

Comment

Originally posted by bizymocha
        Thanks for digging out the photos and sharing! I like the recap of the discussions you heard during the sealing process. It goes to show once again that there is NO standard of measure. I find it sad that biologists can't agree with the horns sitting in front of them on a table. Your suppose to do the same thing at a distance.
        I wonder if anyone from Fish & Game monitors this Forum and reads what is being said. Maybe they could take a few pointers back to the office and get their act together.
        Like I say, the nightmare continues. But thanks again for the great photos.
        They shouldn't have to require sheep to be sealed until they learn how to properly seal a sheep in the first place. It's funny how there can be two biologists in the same office and each one telling you different on whether your sheep is legal or not.

Comment

Thanks

Hey everyone thanks for the pics. They are great. I am hoping to have one with my wife as well as she will be my hunting partner on my upcoming hunt.

CapT thanks for the info. When I get back to the states I will definetly go by there office and have a look.

Thanks again and keep em coming!!

Comment

This is my first dall sheep taken last labor day weekend. He aint the biggest..well actually all these other rams could probably eat it him for dinner but its pretty much as close as you can get to a full curl...ADF&G aged him at 6yrs both curls were only 30in. The one side does not look full because of the angle but the other is just barely touching
            Attached Files
            sigpic
            "I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
            The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Comment

My 3 sheep heads

Here are my three three sheep. No monsters but all full curl 36-37.5".

Comment

3 of a kind!

Bones,
                Wow! Way to go! I have seen guys with three muleys or whitetails but 3 sheep! Quite impressive for a lowly non-resident.

Comment

non-resident?

Mocha, What are you talking about? Been a resident for 25 years. All three sheep are from self guided trips. Like I said, no monsters but all solid full curl rams.

Comment

A legal ram that fails the stick test

Here are some pics I just took of a ram I killed in 2004. In the first pic you can see that he fails the infamous "stick test" that ADF&G and the troopers seem to love so much. The regs say NOTHING about sticks or horn tips meeting bases. What the regs do say is the horn must make 360 degrees as viewed from the side. In the second pic you can see that this ram easily meets this criteria. If you can see a perfect circle, you've got a legal ram. The third pic is from the other side. It does not meet the 360 criteria. I would call it 7/8 on that side (I didn't know it was broomed on that side until after I shot him). This ram was 8 1/2 YOA. Longest horn is 35 inches. It got green tagged at F&G without even a hint of hesitation. Though I was ready to fight if questioned.
                    Attached Files
                    www.provingtrailadventures.com

Comment

Another pic

Here's the third pic I mentioned.
                      Attached Files
                      www.provingtrailadventures.com

Comment

Great sheep pics guys...heres a few more.

Great Sheep Stephen, lots of character. Yours too Brian, gotta love that wild horn and head shape of that guy you and your wife took, very cool.
                        Heres a couple of ours, we have four hangin, no real monsters by any means but all are 'close to the heart' hunts. This shoulder mounted ram was shot by my son, he passed on a small corkscrew full curl and got this one later. I was proud of his patience. This ram is 8 1/2 yo and broomed good on his right side. 33" on his left.
                        The other is a no-doubter, hes plenty passed the "stick-line" at only 7 1/2 yo.

Frank
                        Proud to be an American!

Comment

sheep pics cont.......

Heres another sheep..For novices planning a hunt, one can see the importance and effect of rubbed lamb tips in this photo.
                          The one side (sheeps left) is at full-albeit with a slightly rubbed tip, the other slightly less due to the more rubbed tip. A rubbed lamb tip is not legally broomed, hence the importance of having at least one tip extending to a full 360* for a 7 1/2 yo ram--as this is.
                          An 8+ year old ram would be legal regardless of lamb tips or 360*--counting rings can be a challenge as we all know.

Frank
                          Proud to be an American!

Comment

Nice Rams

Nice sheep guys! As fullkurl says "all are close to the heart". Any full curl ram is a nice trophy and none seem to come easy.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X