Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Bear Hunting Within 60 Miles Of Anchorage

Hi all,

Mister clueless Californian is going to Anchorage, and I was wondering if someone can give me an idea of where I can go with a 4 wheel drive SUV within a 60-80 mile radius of Anchorage for a do it yourself black bear hunt. I'm willing to hike a lot, glass areas, and do spot and stalk, but I don't want to bait. I basically need to try and fill my tag within 2-3 days. I wish I could go toward Prince William Sound, but it seems way too far with car. I would really appreciate any recommendations and help. Also, is wolf open season as is black bear?

Also, I would be going within June 10 - June 17

Comment

No wolf, it closed Apr 30th, As for black bear, one day you might try hiking the river banks. I'm not much of a bear hunter, but by then the bears aughta be along the rivers, so its worth a shot. Maybe you could go sit out at somebodys bait one night?

Any where in Unit 14 A or B would be good prolly.
      Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Comment

Do you have high quality binoculars........??? Are you an extremely "Lucky" person........??? With out good quality Binoculars, and truly very good luck, my guess is that you are wasting money on License & Tag.
        "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

I have a pretty good pair of Swarovski 10x42. I also have great eyes. I am definitely not a lucky person however. I guess that if I need to I will extend my boundary to 100-120 miles of Anchorage.

Comment

Has to be a Joke..... right?

Comment

Is what a joke? I'm serious about this.

Comment

The fact that you have a 60-80 mile radius that you're willing to DRIVE... NOW, You might have to increase it to 100... (Another 20-30 minutes of driving) It's laughable that 2 hours (total) of driving is your main concern....

Comment

What's your idea of a good black bear hunt without having to fly out from Anchorage within a reasonable distance... I've hunted bears around Seldovia, but I don't have the time to go on that type of hunt this round. My aim is not to drive over 3 hours... and I really don't want to go in the general direction of Homer because I've been going the past 14 years and in September I'm going to be there again. Alaska has a l lot to see, I want to go in other directions rather than Southern Alaska. Also, my family is planning to go King Salmon fishing around Wasilla, so I have to be mindful of them.

Comment

Hunt the same stream that your Family is fishing.....

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
                      I have a pretty good pair of Swarovski 10x42. I also have great eyes. I am definitely not a lucky person however. I guess that if I need to I will extend my boundary to 100-120 miles of Anchorage.
                      Those are good Bino's. But without luck what you need is more time to hunt. It sounds like what you really want is to see the country north of Anchorage.
                      "Life Is Either a Daring Adventure or Nothing" - Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by AGL4now View Post
                        Those are good Bino's. But without luck what you need is more time to hunt. It sounds like what you really want is to see the country north of Anchorage.
                        Ya pretty much, but I don't know exactly where I should try for the hunt. I looked at Willow on the map and I think Highway A3 takes you there. It seems like there are bears there, but I still don't know.

Comment

take the old glenn 35 m iles from anchorage seen a black bear there the other day eating a garbage bag by the side of the road
                          Semper Fi!

Comment

Well I wish I had a gps for you but I would say that there shouldn't be a problem if your willing to look within 3 hour drive as you said, or 30-40 miles from Anchorage. Seems I drive a little more miles then you do in that time frame, but everyones diffrent. If your fishing in Willow then your pretty good on 30-40 miles from there. I agree to hunt the stream that your fishing, you'd be surprised. I haven't lived here long, but I would love to fill my tag in 2 or 3 days of hunting, and I hope you do. I would say a pocket full of bacon and a walk through the willows should give you a good time. Not trying to be a jerk, but I would love for a few more Californiacators to meet some of our bears.

Comment

Originally posted by Don_h View Post
                              Well I wish I had a gps for you but I would say that there shouldn't be a problem if your willing to look within 3 hour drive as you said, or 30-40 miles from Anchorage. Seems I drive a little more miles then you do in that time frame, but everyones diffrent. If your fishing in Willow then your pretty good on 30-40 miles from there. I agree to hunt the stream that your fishing, you'd be surprised. I haven't lived here long, but I would love to fill my tag in 2 or 3 days of hunting, and I hope you do. I would say a pocket full of bacon and a walk through the willows should give you a good time. Not trying to be a jerk, but I would love for a few more Californiacators to meet some of our bears.
                              ha...ha Don_h ... since I'm not so familiar with the highways other than the Old Seward Highway, I'm guessing 3 hours driving in Ak would take me 150-200 miles and that's fine... still open to suggestions

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X