Posing for pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posing for pictures

Hey All, I was hopin to start a thread on how to pose for pictures for various animals.

I know that with my first moose, the picture was really crappy, and I hate it. Mostly because it was a "snap shot" cause we ust wanted to get it done and get out.

So, I, for one, was wondering if there is a difference between posing for moose and bear? I, for one, also don't want to sit at the back end of a bear to make it look huge.

So, if some of you experts could post pictures of how you do it and make it look good, that would be great!

Here is my moose pic that is so bad. that thats really doctored up!

Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I say take 20 or so because you may dislike 75percent of them. Also there are just some situations that lend themselves to good photography in the field. If I've rolled something and bloodied it all up I won't take many photos. Don't feel bad about being in a hurry to process game, it happens and is important.
    Bears should be photographed to display their best characteristics. Some have it all, some don't. Capture the area too. Bears as a trophy animal are highly reflective of the wilderness experience. Capture the habitat too. I like bear photographs of the successful hunter with a nice hide draped over a shoulder. The classic bear in the bow shot is classy too, it really signifies success.

Comment

Nothing wrong with that photo at all!! Congrats on your first Bull!

Sometimes the best photo doesn't even have anyone in it....

Comment

It makes the antlers look small, my hat is crooked, hood is up, You should never "straddle" a animal. not to mention, the moose neck is on a bit of a hump, so it makes me look really big, compared to the moose.

Had I thought through it, I would have kneeled at teh base of the neck, and held the antlers in front of me with one hand, and my gun in the other, with my body off to the left of the left antler.
        Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Comment

It is what it is... I think it's a cool photo. A kid with his first Bull is what I see.

Sounds like you have a good idea of how to take field photos. Just take lots of them! I don't have any photos of my first Bull.

Comment

I think thats a killer photo and I couldn't think of one way to make it better, Nice one FFG.
            "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Comment

Originally posted by SuperCub View Post
              It is what it is... I think it's a cool photo. A kid with his first Bull is what I see.
              Agreed. :topjob: :ditto:

You should see the photo's of my first moose. Your's put it to shame.

I would post it for you. but that was long before the digital era, and even before 4"x6" prints.

All I have is a 3"x5" of a little chubby kid in the rain holding the tip of an antler with his thumb in the air. The memories are as clear today as if it happened yesterday.

Most of the animals I took from the mid 80's to early 90's I dont even have photo's of. Cameras were not on the packing list for my hunting party back then.

Be glad you have what ya got.

I like it, congrats on your first.

Comment

Originally posted by northriver21 View Post
                Most of the animals I took from the mid 80's to early 90's I dont even have any photo's of. Be glad you have what ya got.
                :ditto:

I didn't start taking photos until I could afford my own $6.00 disposable plastic camera... ha ha

No joke!

Comment

How do you pose for a good "Bear Shot"?

Thanks Guys!

Comment

Any picture of any kid with his first bull moose is a very great picture.
                    While I do not take pictures of my client hunters sitting on their harvested game, a smiling kid can sit anywhere he wants and it is a great picture. I consider that picture to be a picture of a proud young hunter!
                    dennis
                    Imagine (It's easy if you try)
                    …miles and miles of mountains…wide expanses of tundra...remote wild waters…
                    (Whisper words of wisdom) Let It Be

Comment

Originally posted by FurFishGame View Post
                      How do you pose for a good "Bear Shot"?

Thanks Guys!
                      Since no one else is sharing (help a kid out!).... Here's how I do it. Seems to work.

Comment

here is a couple but I'm no expert. I would agree that you should take the time to shoot a bunch of different ones. I have heard that one main ideas is to get low behind that animal.

Semper Fi and God Bless

Comment

I recommend the same "pose" and camera settings as you use while harvesting the garden or shopping at the grocery store.
                          Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Comment

i'll jump in here with some of my pet peeves for photo taking that i try avoid.....i see where your doing with this. first off, never dis a photo of your first moose, just make a point to make the next one different...but treasure the ones you have!!

things i can't stand...

straddling an animal

pilling stuff under their head, like backpacks, rocks, logs, split firewood ect

holding deer by BOTH antlers...ohhh that one kills me.

guns on animals

"chokin'" stuff, holding it by the neck or ears, sometimes it works ok when terrian dictates that you have to to see the animal, but some guys just grab it by the throat or ears and drag it up into the air

not filling the frame, don't center you in the photo, center the animal and fill the frame as best you can.

flatter the animal...clean it up, brush it off, roll it over, do whatever you need to to put it in its best light...

few ideas, i'm sure i'll tick someone off here, but just remember your photos are your own, they mean something to you and how others feel about them should not matter....!!
                            i'll try to post a couple that i like and see if i have some here that i don't like to show you what i mean.

heres a shot holding up the head to see it...can't see the hand very well and it don't distract from the bear at all...

deer photo, can't see the hands and can't tell how the deers being held up, hands aren't covering part of the antlers at all and a good side view to see how pretty these deer really are!

try different stuff on occasion and see how it comes out...never seen a pic like this one before so i gave it a whirl....
                            Www.blackriverhunting.com
                            Master guide 212

Comment

heres a few more....
                              classic bear pic, but we aren't standing why behind it, see his hand on the hind quarter, step towards the back to bring the focus on the bear rather than our ugly mugs...makes the bear jump from the picture...and if your saw don't break get all the big alders outa the picture!! lol

heres one of those "huggin" pics i don't like...can't see the bear and takes away from the reason for the photo...

contrasts in a photo and setting sometimes make the whole deal, let the animal make the photo and the scenery if the chance presents itself...

if you have snow or a skyline, get the antlers up into it, draws the eye to the trophy!

supercubs black bear looks like a big one, if i made any suggestion it would be to make more of angle to see more of the bear, big animals are much easier to photgraph, smaller ones present challenges!
                              Www.blackriverhunting.com
                              Master guide 212

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X