Cabela's Alaskan Hunters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabela's Alaskan Hunters

I know you're not supposed to base things on price, but I got a deal on a pair of Cabela's Alaskan Hunters, by Meindl - $158+tax that a buddy of mine found in the Bargain Cave at a nearby store. They don't seem to have been worn. I was planning on buying a pair of Lowa Hunter GTXs prior to a trip to the Kenai this fall for a bit of hiking, camping, and prowling for a black bear (going up to Crescent Lake), but I decided to save a couple C-notes. We'll see how that turns out. I hope alright.

Anyway, does anyone have experience with these boots? Any suggestions on the best care and feeding of these boots? I'm also debaiting whether to change the insoles?

Best regards.

I've had a set for three years. They fit me great and have been fantastic boots. I didn't change the insoles, but I know plenty of folks that do. Spend some time wearing them to break them in a bit, but they don't really need much break-in.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Comment

love them...mine fit great right outa the box, never needed a break in period. very stiff which i love, great for sidehilling and you can use instep crampons with them great as well. sweet score if you ask me.
      Www.blackriverhunting.com
      Master guide 212

Comment

I am breaking mine in now. I had to change the insoles they killed the balls of my feet. I have a bony prominence on the outside of my little toes and they hurt there as well but that has been a prob with all my boots. After some oil and many more miles they should be good to go.

Comment

the gray black felt insoles are a great addition to the miendel boots that have that rock hard insole in them...
          Master guide 212

Comment

Originally posted by BRWNBR View Post
            the gray black felt insoles are a great addition to the miendel boots that have that rock hard insole in them...
            Where do you find these? The ones I bought still aren't that great.

Comment

sportsmans i think had them, mt view usually does, any outdoor shoe store seems to. can't remember where i get mine...i know macks on kodiak does...lol not that that does you any good. i'd try that new outdoor clothing store across from spenards here in wasilla..they might. AIH might too, never looked there.
              Master guide 212

Comment

Thanks I will check it out. I have never had to replace foot beds before.

Comment

i have wide feet and i just order the wider sizes it takes the pressure off my inside of my arch and outside of my ball...maybe wider sizes would help your toes?
                  Master guide 212

Comment

I tried the wides and my heel would come up. I think I have goofy feet. I just buy regulars and account for a longer break in period.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayduke View Post
                      I tried the wides and my heel would come up. I think I have goofy feet. I just buy regulars and account for a longer break in period.
                      I was always lead to believe that if a shoe is too big the foot will lift at the heel. The Bargin Cave does have some great buys.

Comment

The Alaska Hunters are great boots--tough as nails. I replaced the insoles with custom-moldable ones from Sole. They fit great and are super comfortable. Enjoy.

Comment

I bought a pair myself last December, used but for a great price. I suspect they were Cabela's returns. I think you will be very pleased. Opinions vary on what is the best tough weather hunting boots, but I was quite impressed with the comments from Eastman's and Cabela's. I have not been out enough in them to say they are perfect, but they fit me fine and I expect they will be exactly what I need.

Comment

Try the Synergy Footbed insole from Lathrop and Sons. If you mention the ad from Eastman's Hunting Journal ad from June/Jul '11 you get $25 off your purchase. These things are awesome and DRASTICALLY reduce any potential for blisters/hotspots. I've had them for a few mt wilderness hunts with lots of climbing and my buddies had to wrap their feet/toes in duct tape while I felt sorry for them.

Comment

I think these are what were formerly the "mountain hunter" boot (?). I had a pair several years ago and they were by far the most comfortable boot I have ever worn, so much so I think I could have slept in them. My feet never felt tired or cramped. With Cabela's return policy you really cannot afford not to try them.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X