Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between color phase black bears and brown bears?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Difference between color phase black bears and brown bears?

    How do you tell the difference between a cinnamon color black bear and a small brown/grizz?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

  • #2
    If there was any question I would not shoot, but the cinnamon's I have seen were pretty easy to tell. Lack of hump, face shape, claws, etc.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

    To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

    Comment


    • #3
      A cinnamon with have the physical characteristics of a common Black Bear.
      A small grizzly will have the physical characteristics of a Common Brown Bear...Usually have a light colored ring of hair around their necks as well.
      "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
      ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by FurFishGame View Post
        How do you tell the difference between a cinnamon color black bear and a small brown/grizz?
        This online test from MT FWP should help you...

        http://fwp.mt.gov/education/hunter/bearID/default.html

        Comment


        • #5
          It sometimes can be very difficult and there have been several Cinnamons taken in the Misty's mistaken as Brown Bear and one Brown Bear taken (that I know of) on Rivilla Island as a Black Bear.

          Take a guess !!!!!

          johnnie laird

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Jeff Shannon View Post
            This online test from MT FWP should help you...

            http://fwp.mt.gov/education/hunter/bearID/default.html
            You gotta watch that test...they switch around the yes/no answer positions, lol...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by muskeg View Post
              It sometimes can be very difficult and there have been several Cinnamons taken in the Misty's mistaken as Brown Bear and one Brown Bear taken (that I know of) on Rivilla Island as a Black Bear.

              Take a guess !!!!!

              GUESSING - brown bear, but I wouldn't take a shot if this was the only glimpse I had of it. I "think" i can see the hump (not 100% sure).

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Gary View Post
                GUESSING - brown bear, but I wouldn't take a shot if this was the only glimpse I had of it. I "think" i can see the hump (not 100% sure).
                Face might not be quite right though... I agree this is a no-shoot until you can see more clearly!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by muskeg View Post
                  It sometimes can be very difficult and there have been several Cinnamons taken in the Misty's mistaken as Brown Bear and one Brown Bear taken (that I know of) on Rivilla Island as a Black Bear.

                  Take a guess !!!!!

                  I wouldn't soot it as a blackie, It looks to have a hump, its nose isn't "straight" from what I see, The ears look small and short. It looks really "big" to be a black, too, not so much its over all size, but it looks to have alotta belly and to big of shoulders for a black. I am by no means an expert, but it seems like the blacks I have seen, they have smaller shoulders.
                  Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    That looks like a TOAD of a Cinnamon Black Bear to me. I would like a better look before a shot was made, I don't really see a hump, the nose looks straight, the ears seem large and high on the head and I can see the tan muzzle of a Black Bear.

                    So I would call that a Cinnamon Black Bear.

                    Steve
                    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by stid2677 View Post
                      That looks like a TOAD of a Cinnamon Black Bear to me. I would like a better look before a shot was made, I don't really see a hump, the nose looks straight, the ears seem large and high on the head and I can see the tan muzzle of a Black Bear.

                      So I would call that a Cinnamon Black Bear.

                      Steve
                      Agree on all aspects.
                      "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
                      ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It's a Cinnamon but many people think it's a Brown Bear ...

                        I have seen several over the years that I could not ID as a Hog Cinnamon or a small Brown Bear.
                        johnnie laird

                        Comment

                        Footer Adsense

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X