PWS Blackies - again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PWS Blackies - again

Son and I finally decided to head out to PWS for a few days as we never have fished or hunted out of there before. Cruised out of Whittier and headed to parts unknown and ended up in a bay that was pretty loaded with bears. We counted 8 different bears in 24 hours and passed on a smaller one that was on the beach before hiking up to take this one. Son had a shot at him the day before and unfortunately we left the range finder and camp and I called it at about 225 yards. Son hit low, bear ran away, and later we ranged it at 425 yards. Lesson learned, carry the right gear.
    It was our first attempt at shrimping and the best pot yielded 21, worse was 3. So the shrimping was a disappointment but they sure tasted good. Will never go back without a pot puller although the Zodiac worked pretty good for pulling them up.
    Beautiful weather, sunny skies, just a hint of wind and temperatures approaching 70. Couldnt of asked for a nicer 3 days.
    Bear has a smallish head but he measured 86 across and 76 from nose to base squaring out at 6 foot nine. But even more import is his coat is perfect, not one rub mark. Hair is long, thick, and silky. Will get this one tanned.
    PWS has to be about the best chance to bag a nice size blackie for the least amount of cash in todays market.
    No trick photography and no hiding behind the bear to make him look bigger.
    Attached Files

Nice bear. Glad you were able to get out and connect.

Comment

Congrats to both Father and Son!!!!

Steve
      "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

Sounds like a great time, congratulations to you both !

Comment

Did you use your 338 RCM?

Comment

Nice Bear. I also took my 10 y/o son out to PWS for his first black bear last week. here is a picture. squared about 6.6 feet & very heavy. thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by kk alaska View Post
              Did you use your 338 RCM?
              Havent had a chance to glass it yet so did not take it. Used my 35 Whelen (MRC action, Lilja barrel, McMillan stock). Managed to get within 150 yards of the bear and not afraid to admit that old boy took 4 shots to anchor him. All hit in the boiler room and he spun around each time he was hit. Flopped around and knew he would die soon but my theory is as long as they are standing I keep shooting no matter what.

Comment

Congratulations, Snowwolfe. What a way to start off Summer!

This was in your new boat?
                No habitat, no hunter.

Comment

I bought a Ruger LH 338 RCM also, bedded it before I shot it and put a new Redfield 2 X 7 on it. Let me know on your load depelopment on yours.

Comment

Originally posted by 6XLeech View Post
                    Congratulations, Snowwolfe. What a way to start off Summer!

This was in your new boat?
                    No, we took our Sea Sport. It has a nice vee berth and the dinette coverts to a second place to sleep. But after making the trip am pretty well convinced a large inboard jet boat could very well be the perfect compromise boat for PWS hunting.

Comment

Hey, Randy! Is that you? Great job!

dave

Comment

Nice job - we must have been out there about the same time.

Comment

Looks like you and your son had one great weekend away from the house Randy congrats!!
                          http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Comment

Congratulations on a successful hunt.

Comment

Congrats...Great story and pics!! Thanks for sharing. I am heading to PWS in the morning....can't wait!!

AkBillyBow
                              2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X