1st brown bear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st brown bear

On May 3rd I made the long journey from Florida to Kodiak. I was hunting with Sam Rohrer. Our first day hunting we spotted a monster bear a couple miles down the bay but by the time we got down the mountain and boated down there he was gone. However we saw another nice boar on a different mountain with a sow and made a stalk on him. He eluded us. The next day we spotted him again around 2pm we thought he laid down in some alders and decided to slip up there and try to get a shot. He disappeared on us again never to be seen again.
    On day 3 the weather turned bad and we got clouded in on our mountain you couldn't see 50ft. We dropped about 500 ft and it cleared up. Saw some bears but nothing big.
    Day 4 we were back on the top of the mountain and spotted a nice boar and sow across the bay mid afternoon. While watching them they came down their mountain to probably 500'-600' above the bay and bedded in a little creek drainage. We took off down our mountain and crossed the bay in the boat. Sam decided not to get the boat to close so we hiked down the beach about a 1/2 mile and then started climbing. We got about where we thought they might be just as the sow was getting up to feed. It seemed like forever but was probably only 10 min before the boar got up and joined her. He eased up the mountain where I could get a clean shot (80 yards). On the first shot (375 h&h) he went rolling down the mountain and after a few more insurance shots he was done. Those jokers are tough. He wound up being 9' 7" and his skull was 26.5. Hope y'all enjoy the pics.
    Attached Files

congrats-good sized bear.

Comment

Nice! Beautiful coloring. Congratulations!
      English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Comment

Congrats on a nice bear. I'm always amazed at how large their paws actually are!! Are you you planning to make a rug, shoulder or full mount?

Comment

Congrat's On the nice bear, The first pic looks like your holding up the arm of a Skunk Ape........... Nice Long hair.
          Congrat's
          sigpic

Comment

Wow , incredible animal . This was on Kodiak island ? just noticed another Florida boy to =)
            Alaska bound !

Comment

Great bear congrats.
              You had one of the best in the biz guiding you.
              Dan

Comment

very nice, congrats.

Comment

Shut the front door! That's one heckuva nice bear there. Be very proud.

Comment

Congrats flhunter! Very nice bear and the second picture really gives one a sense of how thick and dangerous it can be at times!
                    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Comment

Well done! Congrats on a very nice bear! A trip to remember no doubt.

RC

Comment

Fishslayer, I am going with the full mount.
                        Dan, You are right, I have hunted with the Rohrer's twice (Dick and Sam). They run a first class operation and are great people.
                        Smokey, Those alders don't look anything like that from the air. But once you get in them on the ground they are a JUNGLE!

Comment

Nice bear and good job. How old was ADF&G's biologists guess? How is the hide might be a few rubs? Was the scar on your brow from this hunt or another? What unit were you hunting? Roher's do a bang up job like always! Congrats

Comment

Congrats on a great hunt; beautiful bear. Gotta love the alders. I remind myself as I make my way through them each time that if they weren't here there'd be a lot more hunters and a lot fewer bears--I love the alders.
                            Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Comment

Nice bear and grats on your success !

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X