Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks

Originally posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    You'll be rewarded soon with picts and story.
    Looking forward to it! :topjob:

Comment

Rob: I kept looking for you on the river but your jet must have had problems.
      I think this qualifies as jet trouble!
      http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Comment

Biggest trouble I saw was a stabbing. :eek: I am still grossed out and a tad shocked. He still should have went to urgent care. You can tell him that, too.
        Now hurry up and post that trip report.
        Lurker.

Comment

Originally posted by COtoAK View Post
          Biggest trouble I saw was a stabbing. :eek: I am still grossed out and a tad shocked. He still should have went to urgent care. You can tell him that, too.
          Now hurry up and post that trip report.
          I have something to say about the B&B; knifing incident, unconsciousness and homeowners insurance.
          Vegetables arenít food, vegetables are what food eats.

Comment

I have something to say about the B&B; knifing incident, unconsciousness and homeowners insurance.
            There is nothing to say about the B&B.
            About the knifing incident.. I wasn't even there. I just caught the after affect. I would have FORCED him to go to Urgent Care!
            About unconsciousness, I am thankful the husband knows CPR and I still offered a ton of pretty nurses I know. It's okay that he declined
            Home owners insurance. Blah. It falls under commercial insurance.
            Lurker.

Comment

Well you kicked this off a month ago and we got nothing! So, next post without a trip report gets a temporary ban there king!

Go ahead, say something......

Comment

Originally posted by LuJon View Post
                Well you kicked this off a month ago and we got nothing! So, next post without a trip report gets a temporary ban there king!

Go ahead, say something......
                I'm saying something..........Finished the butchering last night, worked on the pics a little today.

Comment

A year sure goes by fast. As I sit here surrounded by too much stuff, sorting out, bringing it back, throwing it out again then deciding I have to have it before we get on the ferry tonight I reflect back to last September when I asked my two sons if they wanted go on a 2 week float hunt with the head of the clan. Of course they told me YES! Then they asked who was the head of the clan? After I told them Dad, they still wanted to sign on.roud:

Our first order of business was to pick a 4th partner to make rowing 2 boats a little easier and to help spread out the expenses. Both sons said no problem on finding a fourth. After a couple of weeks of "I really want to go, but..............." they exhausted their friend so I find a 4th after a couple days of trying.

Our next item on our list to take care of was to find a remote river and to decide if we wanted help in all this planning .................................................. ..................
                  .................................................. .................................................. ................

... continued upon our return. :flybye:
                  I have returned! Finished cleanup and processing and picts I want to add> WARNING THIS IS GOING TO BE LONG & LOT'S OF PICTS!

We started on trying to pick the right river we wanted to float that could produce moose &/or caribou and also needed to be remote as possible. One other criteria was none of us had ever floated before so the river had to be not too technical.

We decided to keep it in the class 1 and class 2 category.

After some research and getting advise from this forum we got tube-locked and couldn't make an educated decision so I bought Mr. Strahan's excellent float hunting book, "Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers." (No, I don't get any $ for that shameless promotion.)

The book gave us a lot of location ideas and answered tons of floating questions for us, but decided to ask Michael for planning help. Of course he said yes and that started our planning in earnest.

After numerous, long phone conversations between hunters and planner we picked a river north of Fairbanks and a flight operator to get us there.

Our next step was to discuss the river access with the flight operators to find if this was a viable trip with them, sadly they told us they were taking too many parties already into that river and would not take any more so we needed to pick another one to float. After discussions with Michael and the FO we settled on a river that just fit the bill. (Sorry, under strict orders from our crew the name will not be shared) Just know it was above the Arctic Circle and remote. Those of you who know where we went please respect our decision.

The next step was for us to find our raft supplier. Michael was originally going to help us in that matter, but because of where we were flying out of we opted to work with BlueMoose out of Fairbanks.

Comment

Richard, many thanks to you and your professionalism. He runs a great operation and was extremely helpful.

We settled on the rafts we would use, it didn't mean a whole lot to us yet because we had never floated before, but the choices he picked were just perfect for our needs. We ended up with a 18' cataraft and a 14' self-bailer. After continued discussions with Richard we also decided on getting his camping gear package so all we had to bring was our sleeping bags and personal gear.

We now have our planner on board, FO operator on board with down payment sent to confirm and hold our reservation and the same with our rafts and gear.

All of the above work took us into spring of 2010. The rest of the time till we headed out involved picking our personal gear and deciding what our transportation requirements would look like getting to Fairbanks and back to Ketchikan, hopefully with a lot of memories and meat.

Comment

You know the phrase, "Best plans of mice & men?" Early summer is here, all the planning and preparations are getting settled. Son, Josh and I decided to ferry his truck to Prince Rupert and drive up the Cassiar highway to the Alcan into Fairbanks. Bill & other son were going to fly in and meet us there. I decided to replace my old freezer and buy one in Fairbanks to haul our meat home in....I tried to be optimistic. Now the bad news for us, my #1 son tells us he can't make the trip because of finances and schooling he has to attend to.

What now? We didn't want to try to handle 2 rafts with three people so we started looking for another partner with not too much time left to do it.

Comment

We went over our slim list of previous partner possibilities and added a few new ones, they all declined..........Josh and I were sitting on my couch discussing what our options were and he said he might give his friend Ricky, in Wasilla a call to see if he would be interested. But Josh said he lost his phone number when his phone took a dive into a mud puddle.

Not 5 minutes later, out of the blue, Ricky called Josh to talk to him and Josh hits him with the idea of going on a float hunt with us in September. Rick got really excited and said he would let us know the next day.

Ricky is on board and the fit with the rest of us seem perfect. We have a team!

The only changes now is that Ricky will drive up to Fairbanks from Wasilla so he will be able to deal with his own meat how he sees fit.

Surprised, we got an offer to stay with friends in North Pole. That really helped us with logistics. I'll share their name later on if it is OK with them.

Time seemed to fly bye for us as the departure day drew nearer. Josh and I decided to catch the ferry on the night of Sept 4th which would give us a couple of long driving days into Fairbanks and have a day or so there to deal with the Sat phone and the rafts and buy any other needed supplies and deal with the new freezer.
                        Last edited by kingfisherktn; 11-08-2014, 05:43.

Comment

This brings me back to the start of the thread as I was preparing to get on the ferry that night. Everything I could think of was ready as we boarded the ferry to Prince Rupert, getting in at 5:30 AM and going through customs and dealing with our rifles. We slept well for about 5 hours, sailed through the border and hit the road by 6:00 with the roads pretty empty but the rain was still dumping on us like Ketchikan.

The trip up the Cassiar was beautiful and uneventful and after a long haul we pulled into Whitehorse about 8:00 PM, got a place to stay, had a bite to eat went to sleep by 10 and hit the road at 6:00 in the morning. Just out of Whitehorse we ran into these guys. Tried as we might we couldn't make it look like a moose.

Our plan was to drive to Delta Junction and stay with friends for the night then drive into Fairbanks the next morning.

Comment

We rolled into DJ about 2 in the afternoon and had a relaxing visit catching up with old friends. We rose early and got into Fairbanks around 10:00 AM on the 6th. After stopping at Home Depot to pick up the freezer (it still wasn't there as promised) and arrange for the delivery to our hosts' house. We also picked up the Sat phone, got some goodies at Sportsman and did some personal grocery shopping and went and talked with BlueMoose. Bill & Ricky show up on the 7th and we would finish any remaining shopping then and meet with Richard (BlueMoose) again and pick up our rafts and gear.

Comment

We then headed over to meet with our host family, get unloaded and situated and had a very pleasant evening with them. BTW, don't ever wash their dishes for them.

We picked up Bill from the airport about 8:30 that next morning and a few hours later Ricky came driving in. We brought up most of Bill's gear in the truck but we dumped his and Ricky's stuff off and headed into Fairbanks for the final items to buy, find the flight operators place of business and meet with Richard, go through raft setup and load it all up in Josh's and Ricky's trucks.

Comment

After dumping all the gear and supplies onto the floor we looked at each other and said, "We're taking all that stuff?" We were trusting Richard knew what he was doing for we sure didn't.

We put everything in order, made sure we knew what we had and where it was and loaded both trucks that night. After a great evening and meal with the hosts we all hit the racks for the last time in a real bed for a couple of weeks.

We had to be at the air charter at 7:30 in the morning and after a fond farewell we were off.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X