Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which motorized boats are required to be registered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which motorized boats are required to be registered?

Attached Files

Are you really asking a question, or intending to be making a point about the photo, or...?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Boat Registration, Division of Motor Vehicles, Department of Administration, State of Alaska

If it has a motor it better be registered with a few exemptions; life rafts on ships, sea planes. inspected passenger vessel. Changes took affect Jan. 2019. Put an electric motor a canoe it is a motor boat. Same with dinghies. Seafoils, electric surf boards....

I have no idea how old that photo is but it "appears" registered as it should be.

Patriot Life Member NRA
      Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
      Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

I have a friend that owns a 15' Smokercraft drift boat. He uses a motor on it. He insists registering it isn't required. I disagree.
        Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Comment

Originally posted by SmokeRoss View Post
          I have a friend that owns a 15' Smokercraft drift boat. He uses a motor on it. He insists registering it isn't required. I disagree.
          He may have been correct a few years ago, but not anymore. The short answer is that everything with a motor on it has to be registered now. It's easy to look up the requirements, so no need for debate or speculation.
          ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence

Comment

Well, I was under the impression that it was required of all motorized boats. Recently came into possession of a raft that would go to the end of Paxson easier with a motor, but otherwise would have no reason to be registered. Looks like the one in the pic.

However, I disagree that it appears to be registered as it should be. It doesn't appear to have any such numbers or letters.

Comment

Originally posted by FairbanksFlies View Post
              ...However, I disagree that it appears to be registered as it should be. It doesn't appear to have any such numbers or letters.
              Could be the registration info is on the placard visible on the hull within the circle you drew (though it's true the placard depicted wouldn't meet the current legal requirement for size).

Comment

Some people take the boat numbers and attach them to a board or piece of thin metal with a couple of holes and just tie them on with the sticker. I've never registered a raft so I have never tried to attach them directly to the raft. Even if you painted the numbers the sticker would probably need to be attached in the same manner or on the transom. Hard to tell from the picture what was going on and I have no idea whose picture it is.

Patriot Life Member NRA
                Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Temporary lettering makes sense. Would be tough to get plastic letters to stick to the PVC or whatever that material is.

Comment

Alaska Statute 05.25.055 covers the exemptions:

Click image for larger version

Name:	AS 05.25.055 exempt.png
Views:	100
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	2776843

There doesn't appear to be a definition for mechanical propulsion leaving it open to interpretation. The state's guidelines indicate mechanical power is gas, diesel, electric, and steam which implies mechanical engines. I suppose an administration interpretation could change to include gears and peddles (mechanical = machine or tool), but there isn't a precedent for it. Fundamentally, a paddle is mechanical flipper or a tool used to propel boats through water.

AAC 70.030 provides options to attach a number plate to an inflatable, so there's certainly intention for motorized rafts.

Anyways, not a lawyer, but it's interesting to go to the statute or AAC and see what the law says exactly. So yeah, the world's smallest gas or electric engine on a canoe still requires registration.

Comment

Originally posted by JEH97LX View Post
                      Alaska Statute 05.25.055 covers the exemptions:

Click image for larger version  Name:	AS 05.25.055 exempt.png Views:	18 Size:	50.2 KB ID:	2776843

There doesn't appear to be a definition for mechanical propulsion leaving it open to interpretation. The state's guidelines indicate mechanical power is gas, diesel, electric, and steam which implies mechanical engines. I suppose an administration interpretation could change to include gears and peddles (mechanical = machine or tool), but there isn't a precedent for it. Fundamentally, a paddle is mechanical flipper or a tool used to propel boats through water.

AAC 70.030 provides options to attach a number plate to an inflatable, so there's certainly intention for motorized rafts.

Anyways, not a lawyer, but it's interesting to go to the statute or AAC and see what the law says exactly. So yeah, the world's smallest gas or electric engine on a canoe still requires registration.
                      To me propulsion is the action/means to propel which on a canoe or kayak being paddled or peddled is human energy as the devices require such to be used that way (other than drifting, etc). I am not a lawyer either, and I am sure some wise ass will suggest that it takes human energy to control a throttle, therefore making my point moot.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X