Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear chewed on rafts

If this happened to you guys, here's a 20-min video showing how to make two types of repairs: one conventional and one with flex tape as a "get ya home" remedy.

https://pristineventures.com

In all of my 18 years of bear baiting on PWS, last year was my first bear attack on my raft. Going to shore, only to carry food in I did the foolish thing of taking only taking the food to shore. Pulled the raft up a bit and went in and filled the barrel. I came back out and could tell immediately I had a raft issue. It wasn't bad, only one canine tooth. But the damage was done. All I had was a empty dog food bag. Yep, no cell phone, nothing. So I paddled back out to the boat on the one side, canoeish style. I had a repair kit on the boat but never though of carrying it. And even then I'd need a pump too. Patching a curved surface with no way to apply any sort of clamp proved interesting and several attempts were needed.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

DANG! That's messed up, Dave

Comment

I always wondered about putting that tape on the inside, now I know, thanks

Comment

Perfect timing. Here's mine that was shredded during a moose hunt.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Twice bears got my zodiac! Both times they just bit the tail end like a nipple. Luckily both times I wasn't someplace I had to "get home" from necessarily.

Comment

Thats going to take a LOT of tape!

Comment

Originally posted by Ridgerat View Post
                Thats going to take a LOT of tape!
                But he should be able to apply some from the inside I think.

Patriot Life Member NRA
                Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Well Clark that's a super easy fix....just roll it up, toss in the trash, and come by to get a new one!!

**** that bear went to town and came back to root around. Surprised there wasn't a bunch of scat in that bad boy.

lb

Comment

Originally posted by clarktar View Post
                    Perfect timing. Here's mine that was shredded during a moose hunt.

Out of curiosity was there blood and guts on the raft or did he just have an urge to tear something up?

Comment

When bears will bite into gas cans, that pretty much tells you they don't need a reason.
                      Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chez View Post

Out of curiosity was there blood and guts on the raft or did he just have an urge to tear something up?
                        The raft had no blood, guys, or other tasty residues. In fact, it was still rolled up in that nice black bag Pristine Ventures ships the raft in!!

There were triplets (1 year+ age class) running around with mama in this area. I saw them every other day. I'm guessing some curious cubs batted it around in the rolled up bag and subsequently the raft eventually fell out of said bag.

LB, see ya tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
                          When bears will bite into gas cans, that pretty much tells you they don't need a reason.
                          Interestingly, this had no signs of bite marks. Just looked like claws ripping through.

Actually there was one bite mark on the orange repair kit canister.

Comment

Bears have such an intense sense of smell it doesn't take much of any lingering scent to get them interested. A person could have....say, eaten a burger hours before and then handled whatever, and a bear could smell it and be attracted to it. When a bear can pickup scents from miles away you realize It doesn't necessarily take actual drops of anything on an item for them to be drawn to it. Think about what precautions a professional trapper takes to keep all scents off his traps and where he puts them. A person can only do so much to try and keep something "clean," after that it's up to the bear and what it's nose tells it it likes or doesn't like.
                            Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
                              Bears have such an intense sense of smell it doesn't take much of any lingering scent to get them interested. A person could have....say, eaten a burger hours before and then handled whatever, and a bear could smell it and be attracted to it. When a bear can pickup scents from miles away you realize It doesn't necessarily take actual drops of anything on an item for them to be drawn to it. Think about what precautions a professional trapper takes to keep all scents off his traps and where he puts them. A person can only do so much to try and keep something "clean," after that it's up to the bear and what it's nose tells it it likes or doesn't like.
                              Well I did pack a deer out with it a few years ago. Been wrapped up in it's bag under my deck for about a year. I still think they were just curious.

Comment

Footer Ad Module 300 x 300

Collapse

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X