No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larry Bartlett
    replied
    nothing works to deter ALL bears, so nothing really works 100%. Mothballs have mostly convinced me, but I've admittingly NOT used them very often and also have not had bears eat my stuff ever.

If a guy like Clark who has an offensive mullet has a raft a bear can chew verses one from a guy like me...well, he'll be replacing that raft more times than me i reckon...LOL

Leave a comment:

• Yukoner
    replied
    Anybody ever actually try the old sprinkle the boat with cayenne trick? Have a friend who habitually left his Zodiac for days while Sheep hunting using this method and never had an issue. Maybe just dumb luck.

Leave a comment:

• 4merguide
    replied
    Because bears are creatures of opportunity their very nature is to be curious. For all they know, everything out of the ordinary is potential food.

Leave a comment:

• clarktar
    replied
    Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
    Bears have such an intense sense of smell it doesn't take much of any lingering scent to get them interested. A person could have....say, eaten a burger hours before and then handled whatever, and a bear could smell it and be attracted to it. When a bear can pickup scents from miles away you realize It doesn't necessarily take actual drops of anything on an item for them to be drawn to it. Think about what precautions a professional trapper takes to keep all scents off his traps and where he puts them. A person can only do so much to try and keep something "clean," after that it's up to the bear and what it's nose tells it it likes or doesn't like.
    Well I did pack a deer out with it a few years ago. Been wrapped up in it's bag under my deck for about a year. I still think they were just curious.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• 4merguide
    replied
    Bears have such an intense sense of smell it doesn't take much of any lingering scent to get them interested. A person could have....say, eaten a burger hours before and then handled whatever, and a bear could smell it and be attracted to it. When a bear can pickup scents from miles away you realize It doesn't necessarily take actual drops of anything on an item for them to be drawn to it. Think about what precautions a professional trapper takes to keep all scents off his traps and where he puts them. A person can only do so much to try and keep something "clean," after that it's up to the bear and what it's nose tells it it likes or doesn't like.

Leave a comment:

• clarktar
    replied
    Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
    When bears will bite into gas cans, that pretty much tells you they don't need a reason.
    Interestingly, this had no signs of bite marks. Just looked like claws ripping through.

Actually there was one bite mark on the orange repair kit canister.

Leave a comment:

• clarktar
    replied
    Originally posted by Chez View Post

Out of curiosity was there blood and guts on the raft or did he just have an urge to tear something up?
    The raft had no blood, guys, or other tasty residues. In fact, it was still rolled up in that nice black bag Pristine Ventures ships the raft in!!

There were triplets (1 year+ age class) running around with mama in this area. I saw them every other day. I'm guessing some curious cubs batted it around in the rolled up bag and subsequently the raft eventually fell out of said bag.

LB, see ya tonight!

Leave a comment:

• 4merguide
    replied
    When bears will bite into gas cans, that pretty much tells you they don't need a reason.

Leave a comment:

• Chez
    replied
    Originally posted by clarktar View Post
    Perfect timing. Here's mine that was shredded during a moose hunt.

Out of curiosity was there blood and guts on the raft or did he just have an urge to tear something up?

Leave a comment:

• Larry Bartlett
    replied
    Well Clark that's a super easy fix....just roll it up, toss in the trash, and come by to get a new one!!

**** that bear went to town and came back to root around. Surprised there wasn't a bunch of scat in that bad boy.

lb

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    Originally posted by Ridgerat View Post
    Thats going to take a LOT of tape!
    But he should be able to apply some from the inside I think.

Leave a comment:

• Ridgerat
    replied
    Thats going to take a LOT of tape!

Leave a comment:

• sea2summit
    replied
    Twice bears got my zodiac! Both times they just bit the tail end like a nipple. Luckily both times I wasn't someplace I had to "get home" from necessarily.

Leave a comment:

• clarktar
    replied
    Perfect timing. Here's mine that was shredded during a moose hunt.

Leave a comment:

• Chez
    replied
    I always wondered about putting that tape on the inside, now I know, thanks

Leave a comment:

Footer Ad Module 300 x 300

Collapse

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X