Innoko River float hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Innoko River float hunt

Looking for suggestions on someone to fly our gear and us in and out of area 21A on the Innoko River. Which would be better to fly out of Fairbanks or Galena? Who would you recommend in each location. We are planning to float the Innoko in search for moose and bear Sept.2021? Thanks for your help and suggestions.

not fairbanks, it's located in basically southwest AK. here's an article for tidbits:

http://www.newsminer.com/features/su...e300a1712.html

I'd say McGrath or Aniak would be a closer bet for air support. service through Anchorage if coming from the Lower 48
    https://pristineventures.com

Comment

When I was guiding over we flew out of McGrath.

Comment

Maybe Magnasun Air out of Mcgrath. Never been there but just a thought

Comment

I will be flying out of Va but my friend that I will be hunting with lives in Fairbanks. The plan is for me to fly to Fairbanks and meet up with him there with all our gear(tent, cataran, camp supplies, etc) and either fly out of Fairbanks to the Innoko or fly to Galena and then to the Innoko. Is this a bad plan?

Comment

Be aware there's a lot of traffic on that river--way too many transporters. It sounds like O'Hare with all the Beavers, Cubs and other float planes flying in and out all the time, and seems like there's a camp on every corner! I go in by boat from Fairbanks when I hunt the Innoko (800 river miles one-way)--got checked by a Cub-flying Wildlife Trooper a few years ago up near the Dishna, who stated Willow Air is flying in bunches of non-residents. You might want to check with them. I believe they forward-stage out of McGrath.

It's about 300 air miles one-way to the upper Innoko from Fairbanks, and few aircraft have the range to do a round-trip without refueling--particularly with the load you mentioned. Galena seems like a more realistic option (75-100 miles one-way). I remember someone mentioning a guy flying out of Galena down that way, so it might be worthwhile researching that.

Comment

Originally posted by akgriz View Post
              Be aware there's a lot of traffic on that river--way too many transporters. It sounds like O'Hare with all the Beavers, Cubs and other float planes flying in and out all the time, and seems like there's a camp on every corner! I go in by boat from Fairbanks when I hunt the Innoko (800 river miles one-way)--got checked by a Cub-flying Wildlife Trooper a few years ago up near the Dishna, who stated Willow Air is flying in bunches of non-residents. You might want to check with them. I believe they forward-stage out of McGrath.

It's about 300 air miles one-way to the upper Innoko from Fairbanks, and few aircraft have the range to do a round-trip without refueling--particularly with the load you mentioned. Galena seems like a more realistic option (75-100 miles one-way). I remember someone mentioning a guy flying out of Galena down that way, so it might be worthwhile researching that.
              Interesting that you state you boat from Fairbanks to upper Innoko. We tried that in 2017 putting in at the Yukon bridge but the water was low on the Yukon and was expected to drop even more by the time we had planned to return which would have prevented us from returning across the slough that connects the Innoko to the Yukon. It is quite a haul for sure. We ended up going up the Koyukok instead. Since that is a draw area I could only hunt black bear and needless to say I saw none. My friend being a resident was able to harvest a moose. 800 miles one way how many days did it take to get there?

Comment

Originally posted by t.mooreofva View Post

Interesting that you state you boat from Fairbanks to upper Innoko. We tried that in 2017 putting in at the Yukon bridge but the water was low on the Yukon and was expected to drop even more by the time we had planned to return which would have prevented us from returning across the slough that connects the Innoko to the Yukon. It is quite a haul for sure. We ended up going up the Koyukok instead. Since that is a draw area I could only hunt black bear and needless to say I saw none. My friend being a resident was able to harvest a moose. 800 miles one way how many days did it take to get there?
                We usually take 3 days, as we have some friends near Ruby and hang out with them the late afternoon of day 1. Day 2 (running hard daylight to dark) gets us either into the slough or barely on the Innoko. Day 3 usually gets us to our designated hunting area in time to get comfortable before dark. Then it's the reverse on the way back--day 1 to the slough, day 2 to Ruby area at dark, and day 3 back to the bridge and home.

Comment

akgriz, once you get to the upper part of the Innoko do you guys establish a base camp and hunt from there by boat each day or do you float the entire river from upper to lower while hunting?

Comment

We set up a camp, float downstream in the mornings and run upstream and float back to camp in the afternoon/evening. It's getting difficult to do that without stepping on other hunters, as noted above--transporters have gone crazy.

Comment

Wow, thanks for the info akgriz. Hope we can meet up one day and share some stories around a campfire.

Comment

After using my Solar inflatable jet boat I wont be doing a float hunt again. To much work to set up camp every day, can run the same waters and go back to camp at night.
                        Then return to starting point.

Today were going to do a local river with the family one vehicle go up river have lunch and drift back down to launch.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X