Good gps for ak rivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good gps for ak rivers

Worked great, much easier to see than my handheld Vista. The big drawback is there is no way to edit or upload tracks. It does mark where you have been though.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Comment

help with maps

Originally posted by Grayling Slayer View Post

Worked great, much easier to see than my handheld Vista. The big drawback is there is no way to edit or upload tracks. It does mark where you have been though.
      hi
      , I have one of these can you please tell me how you down loaded the ak maps so I can do this thanks!

Comment

I used the MapSource software. You download the same way as any other Garmin GPS. There are tutorials with step by step instructions if you Google it.
        "I'd rather be fishing!"

Comment

OK, so I've been using Garmin GPS since the signal was first turned on. I use them all over the place, but the primary point where the GPS becomes important is on snowmachine when you can't tell the difference between one valley and the next or on ATV for pretty much the same reason. They help lead you to specific topographic features, trails, or geocaches. No matter what you do, get a Garmin. Second to that, avoid the touchscreen models (Oregon and such). Get one of the real GPS units... If you're walking and rarely use it, go eTrex. If you're over land, go with the 62 series. If you're over water, it is the 78 series.

That said, I don't think I've ever looked at my GPS screen while running a river. What would be the point in this, unless you are looking to arrive at a specific waypoint or you're looking for a land-based terrain feature? If you're running a river (or driving a car, for that matter), get your eyes on the water, not a tiny computer screen. And it doesn't matter how quick the screen updates are, it will always lag behind "reality", so you should be looking forward if you want to avoid hitting the bank or another boat.

Now open water is a whole different story and navigating complex channels in a delta would benefit, but you'd be doing so very slowly and it would depend on you having placed an actual track to follow. Thus basemaps would be irrelevant.
          Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Comment

I use mine mainly as a speedometer/odometer and occasionally to see which side of a gravel bar I went on last time. Nuvi works great for this with its large easy to read screen. Bluecharts also work on an sd card which would be great for Valdez.
            "I'd rather be fishing!"

Comment

First of all, I will recommend Garmin, whether it is map marking or waterproof performance is impeccable. Secondly, spytec is also very good, is a small personal GPS for hunting, its main role is to allow others to track your location to ensure your safety. It also has SOS function, so that you can call for help in an emergency.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X