Strictly bowhunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strictly bowhunter

I was curious to see how many of us up here in Alaska are strictly bowhunters when it comes to big game? I know I am! Born and raised that way, I'm not necessarily against rifle hunting I just don't care for it my self too much. Any others like me around?

I was until my kids got into hunting. Rifle hunting is really the only way to get them started if they want to start young like my kids did. I will probably be back to strictly bowhunting after they leave the house.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Comment

My wife and I are. Haven't shot a gun at an animal for 10 years now. My harvest rates has fallen since I moved to Alaska but I keep at it and I will figure it all out some day. The reward is so much sweeter.

Comment

Count me in on bow only, unless we are hunting ducks.......

Comment

I am in that group. I learned awhile back that you have to leave the gun at home--too tempting to carry both on a hunt and in the heat of the moment grab that rifle for the big brown that is just outta bow range. Still keeping my varmint rifles for when I can find time for some wolf/coyote hunts--few and far between since moving back to Anchorage though.

Comment

I do both, but I prefer bowhunting any day of the week.

Comment

Nothing like drawing back on a beautiful animal that is standing only 30 yards away. Can't beat it

Comment

I have done both in the past but will likely be toteing a rifle for sheep this August. That being said, so far all of the animals I have taken in alaska have been with a bow (Grizz and moose). Sure would like to add a sheep to that, but for the money and time I am putting into this hunt I think I am going to increase my odds just a touch with the rifle. Maybe my second sheep hunt will be with a bow.roud:
                US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Comment

Absolutely love bowhunting, I'd much rather hunt with a bow than rifle, anyday. With that said, I like to have a freezer full of meat so if it comes down to it, bow or rifle its going down.

Comment

I get the same enjoyment out of both. Well, maybe 55/45 with a pinch gaining on the archery side... I feel deep down inside that with archery tackle, the reward is a little sweeter and a bit more satisfying. But all in all, I really really enjoy both styles. I plan on trying to fill my caribou permit in August with my bow even though it's not required.. I just think it would be fun. If it doesn't pan out, I'll go up again later in the season and take both weapons. Depends on how much time I have off for the second hunt, kinda like a suicide Red run but for caribou. A meat haul. But anyways, I don't care which method of taking, like I said. I really enjoy both. Maybe down the road I'll lean a little harder towards archery only, who knows..

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
                      Maybe my second sheep hunt will be with a bow.roud:
                      That's what I love about the archery-only sheep tags - it forces me to leave the rifle at home. As it is, three of my four sheep have been taken inside of 35 yards...and no bow in hand! :eek:

Comment

I certainly enjoy bow hunting as much as the next guy, but I couldn't commit myself to be strictly a bowhunter. I spent waaaay to much $$ on all my rifles to use them for nothing more than punch holes in paper. I don't find that gratifying at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
                          That's what I love about the archery-only sheep tags - it forces me to leave the rifle at home. As it is, three of my four sheep have been taken inside of 35 yards...and no bow in hand! :eek:
                          One of these days I will draw one of those! Would be awesome to go up behind the house and sheep hunt!
                          US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
                            One of these days I will draw one of those! Would be awesome to go up behind the house and sheep hunt!
                            Yep I apply every year as well...though I am FAR from a strictly bow hunter I enjoy some of the longer seasons and what not they allow for me to be atleast still "sem-hunting" while I still have my bow in my pack as opposed to just hiking.

Comment

Bow only for almost 20 years. 3 years in AK. I do carry a 10mm here just to give the bear something crunchy to chew on.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X