Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salmon Bowhunting

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Salmon Bowhunting

    JW: Is it legal to bowhunt salmon in AK?
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

  • #2
    I can't speak to salmon specifically, but bow "fishing" is legal in some locations for some species of fish. An example of a legal option would be for pike in western cook inlet waters. One way to check would be to look at the online regulations and do a word search for "arrow". According to the statewide regs, it is illegal unless specifically allowed in the area specific regulations.

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't think that it is legal to bow fish salmon anywhere in the state.

      Comment


      • #4
        No, not legal. Not for a sport hunting / sport fishing standpoint. Not sure about subsistence.

        Comment


        • #5
          Would be a great idea to propose in the next round of reg changes. I am sure there are a couple streams they could open up to bow fishing.
          Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

          Comment


          • #6
            Call FISH and Game. If you can snag in salt water, you could shoot them with a bow and arrow (Bowfishing). I cannot see a reason why not. Try it in fresh water and you will be in the hotel gray bar.

            Matt

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Matt M View Post
              Call FISH and Game. If you can snag in salt water, you could shoot them with a bow and arrow (Bowfishing). I cannot see a reason why not. Try it in fresh water and you will be in the hotel gray bar.

              Matt
              The only reason you couldn't would be because the regs say you can't. The statewide regs say it is illegal unless specifically allowed for a certain location.

              Comment


              • #8
                Be great if we could in some areas. I myself don't care for fishing with a rod, boring....now with a bow that is MORE like it!

                Comment


                • #9
                  i submitted a proposal to allow archery salmon in any area open to by regulation to snagging. very nearly got it passed (according to bio friends that were at the deliberation) but the BOF had no idea what archery fishing tackle was, and despite the fact that archery is legal for pike, they balked because there was no definition of "bowfishg tackle".
                  i think this could pass, and i very much want to put it in again. Of course, nobody but me showed up to testify for the proposal, i am sure a show of support would have gotten it passed.
                  next time, i guess.
                  Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
                  http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    you can use a spear-gun as long as you are fully submerged....that may only be in salt water though
                    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by homerdave View Post
                      i submitted a proposal to allow archery salmon in any area open to by regulation to snagging. very nearly got it passed (according to bio friends that were at the deliberation) but the BOF had no idea what archery fishing tackle was, and despite the fact that archery is legal for pike, they balked because there was no definition of "bowfishg tackle".
                      i think this could pass, and i very much want to put it in again. Of course, nobody but me showed up to testify for the proposal, i am sure a show of support would have gotten it passed.
                      next time, i guess.

                      If you're serious, I will support it too. We could start a forum post here and really sell it. I will start fliers and post them at Kincaid, Full Curl and Back country. How did you go about submittin a proposal to F&G?
                      Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by blasterak View Post
                        Be great if we could in some areas. I myself don't care for fishing with a rod, boring....now with a bow that is MORE like it!
                        haha either beer and fishing or just straight bow fishing. both are a great plan!
                        Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by HuntAK59 View Post
                          If you're serious, I will support it too. We could start a forum post here and really sell it. I will start fliers and post them at Kincaid, Full Curl and Back country. How did you go about submittin a proposal to F&G?
                          the deadline for statewide proposals for the 2011-2012 board cycle has passed.
                          Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
                          http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I would be on board for this next year. I loved bowfishing for carp/gar when I was a kid, tons of fun to be had!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by homerdave View Post
                              the deadline for statewide proposals for the 2011-2012 board cycle has passed.
                              Got ya. I would be excited to start working on it for next year. I can try to solicite it to the Ancoragites.
                              Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X