anyone returning from the haul road?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone returning from the haul road?

I am heading up on the 4th and would appreciate any info. Thanks in advance.
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

Yep

Well good news, bad news as usual. A guy I know just returned from a weekend up north. He didnít see much on the way up at all but ran into a good group while returning south around Slope Mt. I guess when they were out putting the moves on them a tractor trailer with pilot trucks came by and the pilot truck stopped at his. Through his binoís he watched the pilot driver smash his windshield and driver side window out with a hammer and he was parked well off the road. Must have been one hell of a cold ride home.

Comment

Geeezz...

That's one horrible story! My buddy just got back..winhshield still intact..and they saw several thousand bou, just all gathered up on the ridges and diffucult to get to. He said a rifle hunt would have been easy, just too far off the road for the bow. Most bou were in the Galbrith Lake area.

Comment

bou success

Hey Archerbob,
        My buddy and I just got back. We got three caribou. I got two real nice bulls and an arctic fox. Caribou everywhere. I'll post pictures and the whole story later. Got within 40 yards of my first bull and 20 on the second. It's all about the stalk. Thousands of caribou by Toolik Lake and pushing towards Galbreth Lake.

Justin

Comment

Thanks for all the usefull information. unfortunately my trip is going to get postponed for a week or so.
          Bob

Comment

Silly

Do you need a permit or anything to hunt these caribou? I have a week before I am leaving to whitetail hunt. I am in Kenai and might be able to get up north for a hunt, maybe, if I can completely lie to the wife, I am not above lying to the wife to hunt.

Could someone give me a few options that I could mull over.
            Marc Theiler

Comment

Marc

Marc: You need to have a caribou tag, hunting license and an archery certification card. (Can be IBEP or equalivant.)

A few chemical heaters for your hands and feet will help too.

Patriot Life Member NRA
              Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
              Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by chuikenya View Post
                Hey Archerbob,
                My buddy and I just got back. We got three caribou. I got two real nice bulls and an arctic fox. Caribou everywhere. I'll post pictures and the whole story later. Got within 40 yards of my first bull and 20 on the second. It's all about the stalk. Thousands of caribou by Toolik Lake and pushing towards Galbreth Lake.

Justin
                Got pics? I am very interested in possibly doing this as well. I thought I wasnt going to get to hunt till next year, but found out for military residents not yet meeting the year requirement that we just pay half the tag fee's. This is not bad at all for a hunt in my opinion! Just have to convice the wife that!
                US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Comment

hunt n' photos

check out this link. I posted it on the hunting forum. If you have any additional questions, let me know. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=5728

Comment

Hunt n'

Also,
                    Are you going to be bow hunting? If so, you'll need your IBEP certification. If not, your looking at a very long hike. 5 miles is no joke out there. If you go in the next couple weeks your looking at -20 to -30, if not colder temps. It's managable, but I would plan on hiking out, shooting one, camping the night out there and then packing it out. My buddy just did the 5 mile hike and it took him two days (12 hours of draggin time) to get two caribou out on three kid's sleds. Your also looking at less daylight. Probably 6 hours of hunting time. Just a thought. Let me know...

Comment

Originally posted by kenyachui View Post
                      Also,
                      Are you going to be bow hunting? If so, you'll need your IBEP certification. If not, your looking at a very long hike. 5 miles is no joke out there. If you go in the next couple weeks your looking at -20 to -30, if not colder temps. It's managable, but I would plan on hiking out, shooting one, camping the night out there and then packing it out. My buddy just did the 5 mile hike and it took him two days (12 hours of draggin time) to get two caribou out on three kid's sleds. Your also looking at less daylight. Probably 6 hours of hunting time. Just a thought. Let me know...
                      Yes, it will be a bowhunt and I have the equivilent of the IBEP. I dont mind the hike, but not with the kind of weather we will be facing at that time of year. Right now a friend and I plan to either do a haul rd caribou hunt or Ft Wainwright moose hunt towards the end of this month. Not sure which way he is leaning right now. Either way I will be happy to get out! Thanks a ton for the info!

Comment

Heard

I have hear of people camping in the winter on this side of the pass and hunting on the north side. Haven't done it but you certainly have the travel time with the limited daylight.

Patriot Life Member NRA
                        Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                        Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

I wanna go

**** I would be heading up there right now if I wasn't going to hunt whitetails in the midwest for the next two weeks. How long can you hunt the haul road caribou?
                          Marc Theiler

Comment

The way it reads is; Resident = 2 caribou total - any caribou by bow and arrow only.........Oct. 1-Apr. 30 (unit 26b). Hope that answers your question.
                            Bob

Comment

Originally posted by ArcherBob View Post
                              The way it reads is; Resident = 2 caribou total - any caribou by bow and arrow only.........Oct. 1-Apr. 30 (unit 26b). Hope that answers your question.
                              So is this hunt not open to non residents at all? or just not for those dates?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X