Who's Preparing Their Sites?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's Preparing Their Sites?

Anyone been out too start prepping their bear bait sites yet? Like barrels and stand placement? I am gonna be heading out tomorrow morning if not next weekend snowshoes in hand . Have a few spots want to check out for maybe a new stand.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 04-05-2009, 14:17.

To early. I won't be put mine out tell early may. The bears where I bait won't hit it until last week of May
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Comment

Setting Up Sites

In my it's never to early to scout out good placement for a site. We will be out scouting ours within the next week. Looking forward to opening day! We set the bait and within hours here they come.
      A few people I have met in the past couple weeks are set just waiting to bait.
      Good Luck
      Jess
      Bait Em 907
      Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
      www.baitem907.com
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Comment

I went out yesterday and got all my stuff out in the woods and I'm ready to rock. The bears are going to hit early this year, at least in my area. I just need to wait until opening now to get some bait out there!

Comment

my sites are up as of now.. i just need to wait and see what the melt will do.. we are prone to having all of our snow leave at once.... 24-35 hours and the resulting run off can be extrodenary...
          "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

Type/Size bait barrel

I am new to this stuff. What size barrel is commonly used and etc. An good places to beg/borrow or steal from? What size cable will be adequate to secure the barrel?

Thanks.

Comment

I use the 55 gallon steel drum. Had a metal shop cut a 8 inch or 12inch whole in the lid. Check Craigslist for barrels.
              Never chained it too a tree. Imagine any big chain would work. A friend or mine just ratcheted strapped his to a the tree. I Just put a bunch of logs on the top of mine. Barrel didn't get moved much, till I think a grizz came in a day or two after my buddy shot one and rolled the barrel half way too the creek. Good thing was though it was the last day of the season and i was there cleaning up. the barrel was picked/licked clean.

Comment

chain/ cable should go through the barrel rather then around it. they WILL steal it and you may not find your 55 gallon drum... depends on the bear. took an old pick/ax and punched two holes in the back of all mine and put a small chain through them.

i used to use the ratchet strap. sharp claws fix them to fast...
                "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

Size & Type of Barrel

As for us we use a metal 55 gl drums w/ a hole midway. Log chained to a tree, tie downs are too easy for bears to rip. We used a thin cable one year and it looked as if it was cut like butter. I have scented coated barrels for people and everyone is different. Hole placement and metal verses plastic, it all works. If you are looking for a plastic barrel, try a carwash and if you are looking for a metal barrel try Craigslist.
                  Good Luck
                  Jess
                  Bait Em 907
                  Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
                  www.baitem907.com
                  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Comment

Nope

With 3 feet of snow on the ground yet it is only a dream to start set-up.

I use heavy plastic buckets (7 gallon), 30 gallon plastic drums and 40 something plastic drums. No browns where I bait so no need for steel. I chain them about 18" off of the ground with one, 1-2" diameter hole in the bottom. That way the bear has to lay down to eat and has to play with the barrel to get food out. Everything stays dry, lots of moisture on PWS to start mold.

This has worked for five years now and has worked well. Chain is the only way to go with as big as bolt that will fit through the chain, some washers and a wing-nut to tighten. Smelly stuff is placed on top of the barrel for elevation and never into the food. (Starts molding the food.)

Patriot Life Member NRA
                    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

legal question regarding gear

I was in registering my station this week and was told I could not take anything including the tree stand into the field before the 15th. I said "but the regs say no bait till the 15th." The lady said and a customer there at the same time said he knew folks who got tickets last year for setting things up early even though they did not bait. Any gear in the field prior to the 15th is a ticketable offense.

Any thoughts on this??

Comment

I've never used a metal drum. Really no reason to. I prefer the 55-gallon poly (the blue ones) drums myself. I also run a chain to secure it to the tree.

Comment

Regs

The way I understood the regs, you could do everything you needed to, prior to opening. You could not put bait out until opening day.

Comment

Big Daddy,

I have a 55 gallon steel drum that is set up for baiting that I would give you. If you can come today you can have it now. If not I will drop you a line next week when I get back from a wedding I have to attend. PM me for details if you want it.

Steve
                            "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Comment

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=49490

BigDaddy...if you are new to baiting, this seminar will be right up your alley...free...and good info for beginners for sure. I assure you will take something away from it.

Sportsmans on the 11th at 1pm my friend.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X