• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow.. Really nice

Very nice....
    what more can you say?
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Comment

sweet bows

Those are some very nice looking bows yer turning out. When I first started building bows I think I broke at least a dozen or so before I got the hand of it :mad:. So congrats on your first attempts. I would stay with the hickory its tuff as nails, I found red oak to be tuff but a bit on the brittle side and tiller has to be right on or it will break at the higher poundages. just my .02 worth.
      At any rate great job. This stuff gets in your blood and its hard to quit.

William

Comment

im 13 years old, what density should my bow have, and what poundage would be appropriate for me?

Comment

I'll try to get picture of mine.

Red oak is really good for bows, except, when it tillered for 26 inches it doesn't hold up to long to my 31 inch draw it drew back like honey and it was SO accurate, I had a spcial bond with that bow....
          Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Comment

Originally posted by EnriqueN View Post
            im 13 years old, what density should my bow have, and what poundage would be appropriate for me?
            Have you shot many bows recently? You don't want a bow that you have to struggle to pull back, I currently have a 71 LBer that I shoot quite a bit. but seems when I was 13 I was pulling around 40. remember, when you do the poundage, for every inch of draw longer than 28 inches (assuming the bow is tillered for 28) add 2 pounds I believe its the same for every inch shorter than 28. ie: I have a bow, tillered to 65 Lbs at 28, but I have a 31 inch draw length, to my bow is 71 Lbs,
            Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Comment

Wow, I haven't looked at this thread in a long time! Kind of scary looking back at those first few bows... At this point I've had about 12-14 bows turn out as decent shooters and probably 15-20 that are in the kindling pile! Hopefully a person or two has found this as inspiration to try a build. It's becoming an addiction of mine. :topjob:
              AKmud
              sigpic

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Comment

Originally posted by AKmud View Post
                Wow, I haven't looked at this thread in a long time! Kind of scary looking back at those first few bows... At this point I've had about 12-14 bows turn out as decent shooters and probably 15-20 that are in the kindling pile! Hopefully a person or two has found this as inspiration to try a build. It's becoming an addiction of mine. :topjob:
                Photo bucket has been giving me fits for a while, i can't get my pix on here, sorry, I'll try tomorrow.

Comment

Here are a couple of my more recent ones...they have improved a bit from those first few!

A red oak self bow with paduak accents for my daughter, we boiled the tips and bent them on a caul -

This one was the 70# hickory backed jatoba for a bow swap. I sent it off to Pennsylvania -

AKmud
                  sigpic

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Comment

Looking good

Comment

Beautiful work, i might of missed it but do you have any experience with birch wood?

Comment

Originally posted by goldminerlodgealaska View Post
                        Beautiful work, i might of missed it but do you have any experience with birch wood?
                        I've tried a couple of kild dried birch from Popperts mill... They exploded dramatically and without warning! I've broken several bows and they usually give a hint they are going to break by lifting a splinter, creaking, or cracking slightly. The birch I tried looked (and sounded) fine right up till they let go. I was not backing them so I imagine they would make a decent bow with a hickory backing but I am leery of investing the time with birch again.
                        AKmud
                        sigpic

Comment

Im having troublewith my tiller. Im not sure on how to brace and what length of srting to use? Right now im at 40# 21". Does this mean i have a bunch of shaving to do still.

Comment

and my cord has slack

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X