DIY Dalton HWY Caribou Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Dalton HWY Caribou Hunt

My buddy Dave and I are looking into a DIY bow hunt along the Dalton HWY. I'm relying on advice from Cameron Hanes and his book, but would like some from others who have done this hunt or live in AK. Thank you in advance for your help and effort!

Two suggestions: First of all, use the search function here and do a search for "Haul Road" and "Dalton Highway". If you used the advanced search option (which works better), you will have literally days worth of reading material. There have been thousands of posts made here concerning hunting the Haul Road. There's lots of wisdom in those years of experience, so make use of it.

Secondly, take a look at our wiki entry on Haul Road Hunting. That'll give you a lot of basics to get you started. Once you figure out the framework, you can come back with specific questions and will likely get better responses.

Comment

Thanks Brian!

Comment

One thing I will say is it is allot easier with 2 or more people. Big reason if you see a caribou heading towards the road, you can get dropped off and ambush the bou. DIY. Caribou will most of the time maintain a path that you can determine. But if there is a truck near where they are headed they will change direction.
        Living the Alaskan Dream
        Gary Keller
        Anchorage, AK

Comment

Thanks Gary

My thoughts EXACTLY would like to have 4 guys. I've read some VERY discouraging stuff on here about this trip.

Comment

Easier

It is just easier on the pocket with more people. I did it myself the first year and hunted 12 hours. Next year 6 hours but had a partner along. He watched. The next year I had a a partner but we only saw 2 caribou in a week between Purdhoe and Atigun Pass. The herd was 60 miles east. It is an easy hunt to do really if you are a good bow hunter.

Patriot Life Member NRA
            Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
            Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

diy bou

Don't pass up this hunt.gather good info,good gear,extend your range as far as you are comfortable with your bow set up.The scenery and wildlife on the slope are worth the trip alone.Bring plenty of blunts for ptarmigan.Prepare for BUGS before Sept. 1.Choose your hunting partners wisely.After sept 1 bring whites along with your camo gear.Practice shooting in the wind!!! Be respectful of others stalks,you will get your chance !!

Comment

Any chance anyone would like to get on the phone to answer questions.

Comment

Originally posted by RMA View Post
                  Any chance anyone would like to get on the phone to answer questions.
                  Sent you a pm. Give me a call
                  Living the Alaskan Dream
                  Gary Keller
                  Anchorage, AK

Comment

RMA

I sent you a private message, call when you can.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X