Alaska FOB Shooters Unite!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

humm

they look a lot bigger than that on the youtube thing. ok so let me ask this "not trying to be cocky" if you have your broad head on your arrow and you shoot, its still going to get effected by the wind so i would think the FOB wouldhurt you more than help you. your broad head would get "pushed" by the wind but the FOB would not. my thinking would be that the arrow would stary to turn rather than drift?!:confused:

Comment

Guess will have to try it out?

FOB's are not big, 1" diameter, and about 5/8" thick. Vane are 3" to 4" long, and close to 3/4" or more tall. Blazers are a little shorter, but taller.

I cannot speculate how flight of a broadhead will be affected because I have not shot FOB's with broadheads yet. Marc Taylor and others in this forum have been shooting FOB's for awhile, and they can weigh in.

Comment

agree with B daddy.... however an engineer i am... and understanding of the airfoil is easy for me.

as a vain turns it also has resistance... the fob has considerably less because of the smooth circle for air to flow around and actually stabilize it. while generating spin as do the fletches.
        "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

It's ALL about broadhead flight. Practice points are just that; practice points for moving on to broadheads.
          A rigid airfoil (FOB) will control your broadhead faster and more consistently than a fluttering vane or fletch.
          The clearance is less on a FOB than the popular vanes out there. All of them. Measure it. 2" Blazer, 1 1/4" 4" Vane or Fletch, 1 1/8" FOB 1"

Squeeking an arrow through a brushy shooting window should not be anyone's cup of tea, regardless of how good he is. If any part of an arrow touches anything, re-nock cause you just botched a shot. We all have done that I'm sure.

Shoot in the wind or don't shoot -- Well, with FOBs, I'll shoot in the wind if I've established that I can still accurately shoot during practice. With broadheads. What's remarkable is the angle at which the arrow protrudes from the target in the wind... Dead on. That means more kinetic energy delivered.

FOBs will stabilize even the heaviest of broadheads. Fast.

Sorry, skeptical guys. And you have every right to be, BTW. It will take time, but FOB's have the potential to render fletching obsolete eventually. That writing is already on the wall.

Funny, we want the latest, greatest optics, bullets, broadheads, shafts, rests, bows, etc. But we're having a problem with the latest, greatest means of stabilizing arrow flight?

I still love hunting with an open-sighted levergun, by choice, but I recognize that an accurate scoped rifle will deliver more consistently than my open sighted rifle.

If you choose FOBs, GREAT. I'm not nocking you if you don't. Please understand that. But this thread is for those who do shoot FOBs, not for the skeptical to bash FOBs.

As usual, LOVE TO ALL,

Taylor

-[]------->

Comment

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on shooting FOBs at long ranges. Some say they have a tendency to really bottom out past 40 yards. Any thoughts on long-range accuracy and such?

Fr. Joe
            Fr. Joe
            HuntingForGod.com

Comment

Fr. Joe,
              I never felt good about a 60-yard pin until I started shooting FOBs. Ive now got a 5-pin gang and wondering about my next sight; whether it should be a target sight capable of enough elevation to get me to 100 yards, or a 7-pin gang.

I'm here to say that out to 40, there's not much noticeable difference between FOBs and fletching. It's AFTER 40 yards that FOBs pay big dividends through stabilization.

I would never steer you wrong, Fr. Joe. ESPECIALLY you... ;-)

Stop with the "I heard" and "some say". Get yourself some FOBs and decide based upon your own experience. Three Hail Mary's and you'll be forgiven! ;-))

Taylor

-[]------->

Comment

wow sorry

Im sorry if you took my post as a bash... I will be the first to admit... if something I use has not failed me I tend to stick with it. I can see how you read things as bashing but sometimes I think people should take a step back and read it for what it is. I put a post up to understand FOB's a little more and see if what I am thinking might be true or I am looking at it the wrong way. If you dont ask youll never know right??? people ask me about bows all the time and i tell them you need to shoot a bunch and make up your mind on what you like. The same gos for this....just asking. sorry if i hurt your feelings I was not trying to.

Comment

Originally posted by cmp189ap View Post
                  Im sorry if you took my post as a bash... I will be the first to admit... if something I use has not failed me I tend to stick with it. I can see how you read things as bashing but sometimes I think people should take a step back and read it for what it is. I put a post up to understand FOB's a little more and see if what I am thinking might be true or I am looking at it the wrong way. If you dont ask youll never know right??? people ask me about bows all the time and i tell them you need to shoot a bunch and make up your mind on what you like. The same gos for this....just asking. sorry if i hurt your feelings I was not trying to.
                  Not to advertise another website or anything, but there are tons and tons of threads and reviews on FOBs on Archerytalk.com, lots of good stuff there. I think the biggest reason people don't try them is simply because they are different...out of the box. Just keep an open mind and give them a shot.

Comment

cmp189ap -
                    No harm done. I replied to your post for the benefit of the thread and anyone who read it. Sorry that it seemed that I was coming back at you directly. Not so. Just touching on some of the points you brought up, that's all.

It's all good and so are you and I.

Taylor

-[]------->

Comment

Just one more question before I give them a whirl....what color is the best!

Fr. Joe
                      Fr. Joe
                      HuntingForGod.com

Comment

Fr. Joe,
                        My preference: Blaze Orange, then Fluorescent Green, then Pink. If you contact Paul Morris personally, he'll mix them up for you.
                        Thanks for asking,

Taylor

-[]------->

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Taylor View Post
                          Fr. Joe,
                          My preference: Blaze Orange, then Fluorescent Green, then Pink. If you contact Paul Morris personally, he'll mix them up for you.
                          Thanks for asking,

Taylor

-[]------->

If i remember correctly i ordered the blaze orange my self.... come to think of it.... i need to call that guy and ask him which boat they were put on...... i think some guy in Australia is using my fobs......
                          "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Comment

Looks like i'm joining the FOB brotherhood Picked up a pack today from Marc, going to get them setup tomorrow at the 'Den and see how I like them. I love how simple of a design it is!

Comment

Usps

Vince,
                              Check your PM. I shipped those out on the 18th. Promise. I just did a track and sent that to you by PM.
                              And USPS wonders why it is going out of business?!
                              I ALWAYS get shipping orders out RIGHT NOW, cause I know how that feels.

I assumed you were already set up and shootin'.

Extremely sorry,

Taylor

-[]------->

Comment

MAKE 'em work, Blasterak. You'll be thrilled that you did!!!

...and you'll look cool.

They are just COOL!!!!!!

Taylor

-[]------->

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X