Certification Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Certification Class

I am signing up soon to take the Certification Class in Anchorage, I believe you do the walking course at Rabbit Creek?
    What should I be expecting (shooting wise)?
    Distances, accuracy, etc..... Thanks

Its been awhile but as I remember you shoot two times at each target, one must be a good shot. The first one was a close shot and I think you had to stand on one shot and kneel on the other shot. The second shot was longer as was the third, the last shot was down hill. I also remember that they also had you follow a blood trail in the middle of the shooting. I passed it the first time shooting my long bow. And they would not let you use range finders in the testing. Some one my have taken the class last year and can be more help. good shooting to ya.

Comment

george d right on the money

I took the class last year and you have 5 targets. You shoot one standing, one kneeling and no further than 30 yards. I think you can use a range finder if you say that you are going to hunt with it.

Comment

Bow Cert

SperBear,

I too took it at Rabbit Creek and passed on my first attempt. As the others said we had to take 2 shots on each target, 1 standing and 1 kneeling. 1 of the 2 shots had to be in the "Boiler Room", or kill zone, on each target AND on any 1 of the targets both shots had to be in the boiler room. Distances varied but nothing over 30 yards and the last target was a downhill shot.

Hope this helps. Practice, practice, practice.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike S
          SperBear,

I too took it at Rabbit Creek and passed on my first attempt. As the others said we had to take 2 shots on each target, 1 standing and 1 kneeling. 1 of the 2 shots had to be in the "Boiler Room", or kill zone, on each target AND on any 1 of the targets both shots had to be in the boiler room. Distances varied but nothing over 30 yards and the last target was a downhill shot.

Hope this helps. Practice, practice, practice.

Mike
          Exactly. 4 Targets/2 arrows each (one standing/one kneeling) ... need 5 hits (one target has to be a double) and you can not miss twice on the same target. Nothing over 30 yards - one elevated shot. Plus the blood trail. Sucess rate is about 60% on average.

Aside from Mike's sound advcie to "practice, practice, practice" I would recommend: practice, practice, practice.

Comment

certification class

I shot at the rabbit creek bow range the day before and the morning before the test and it helped incredibly. If you can shoot all stations of the bow range accurately then you shouldn't have any worries. good luck

Comment

The shooting is at Rabbit Creek. You can use a rangefinder, but cannot share it with others. Those who have rangefinders cannot tell you the distance either. You will shoot 5 targets, two arrows per target. One will be standing and one will be kneeling. You have to have at least one kill shot per target. The last target is from a "tree stand". The farthest target is 27 yards. This proficiency test is very easy if you practice. Also, you can use field points, not broadheads.

BTW, I'm a certified instructor.

Comment

instructor

Kusko,

What is required to become and instructor? I took the class probably 10-12 years ago.
                AKmud
                sigpic

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Comment

Instructors

You have to be certified in the discipline you want to facilitate (Basic, Bow, Muzzle Loader), have a background check, fill out some paperwork and take the instructors certification course.

Contact F&G (Lee, Maggie or Jerry) at 907-267-2196.

Comment

Website & Information

for becoming an instructor:
                    http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=he.he_instructors

Comment

Thanks

for the info LB. I'll look into it.
                      AKmud
                      sigpic

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Comment

Archery Cert

I just completed this certification on Thursday, and the way it goes is 4 targets ranging from 13 to 27 yards. 2 shots at each(1 kneeling and 1 standing). You must have 1 kill on 3 targets, and 2 kills on the 4th (doesn't matter which target). You can use a rangefinder, but as someone else said, you can't tell anyone the range. If you haven't already signed up for a class, good luck. I went to the Fish & Game office back in March, and this was the first available class, so it's probably pretty much booked for this year.

Comment

the AK bow certification is good nationally and ...

internationally I have heard. I was told by our instructor that its the best curriculum and most thorough shooting test offered most anywhere. Its nice to know you can shoot in practically any location you want with your card. (Some African locations are requiring proficiency tests now too.) --Your card should work there as well we were told.
                          All who tried passed the written and shooting portions when I took it here in Fairbanks.
                          Best of Luck and practice hard!
                          Proud to be an American!

Comment

There is going to be a "Shoot Only" Wednesday evening (1800hrs) for those that took the class and need to shoot/re-shoot. Enough time to qual and get in for those tags!

Comment

I'm new to this forum, but have bow hunted in Alaska once and elsewhere for years. What is this certification stuff all about? We don't have it here in Michigan. Is it required? I think it would be a great thing as I see many bow hunters in my area that really shouldn't be flinging arrows at critters.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X