Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disappointed in some of my fellow hunter!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TradBow
    replied
    is Jerod, Jerry Pollen?

Leave a comment:

• Jerod
    replied
    Dave, when you come up, drop me a PM before you head this way, I'd enjoy meeting you. Chances are I'll be here. I just had a few buddies hunting the road and river stop in, grab hot showers, filled their camper with water and we shot the bull for a little while before they headed back south to look for critters. I always enjoy the company.

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    Jerod:

Jerod: I think WE see it the same way in our own ethics. I don't want to start a p......ing match. It is interesting though that some regulations are written to be interpeted "by the officer". If someone screwed up my hunt I would certainly try to prosecute them. They are violating one of the primary rules of shooting: Knowing your target and what is beyond.

The last bou I shot the arrow left for never-never-land as soon as it passed through and I never found it. I did have only a mountain behind the caribou though.

It was interesting that when I started walking out to get my pack frame I ran into a nice hunting couple that congratulated me. They were going after the same caribou, saw me, backed off, and filmed the hunt. Nice people. They even asked if we were done so they could pursue the remaining herd. Like I said, nice people. If everyone had their ethics the Haul Road would be a much better hunt.

Maybe we will see each other on the road next year and I invite you in for a cup of coffee or caribou steaks.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod
    replied
    No, it is not alright with me that if I'm 20 yards from a moose and somebody else comes up and shoots it. I'll be highly ticked and have choice words with that person. Now, I might not like it, but the way the law is written, he has the legal ability to do that.

Now if somebody uses a plane or a vehicle to herd or molest game away from me, then that is illegal because the law states you cannot do that, and those people are nut "stalking" or "hunting" that animal at that time. In that case I would try and get some numbers off the plane and turn them in for harrassing the wildlife and interfering with my hunt.

I'm sure you and I would do the same thing given the same situation. For example, if I drive up and see a bull headed my way and see somebody else on it, I'm not even going to stay in the area. I've walked or driven away from that kind of thing dozens and dozens of times on the Haul Road. It frustrates me to read the complaints on the Haul Road when the norm is more like you and me, where we do respect and give way to other hunters. That courtesy is not seen though, only the disrespectful people that will take any and every opportunity no matter what the situation is are seen, so that is the memory that people take home with them and can't wait to post on the computer to complain about. I've been on several stalks where others have come in and screwed it up, and I've had words with those people. I looked into the wording of the hunter harrassment law though, and the way I read it is that in the case of somebody persuing an animal that I am already on is completely legal by the letter of the law.

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    No

"The first person on that animal does not have sole ownership of that animal, and it is fair game to others."

Jerod: I can not buy that statement. So it is alright with you that if you are 20 yards from a moose and someone else runs up from another direction and starts flinging arrows or bullets at it before you do from 70 yards away, it is a "competitive practice."

If your stalking a sheep and an airplane swoops down and drives it over the ridge even though they, saw you, it is a "competitive practice."

I can not believe that someone would condone driving animals away from another hunter that is already stalking that animal. If that is the way people are starting to hunt these days, then they should not even be allowed in the woods. Sickening!

Leave a comment:

• Jerod
    replied
    "Having your buddies drive up and down the road to move a crossing heard to you is not legal. It is wildlife harassment in any state.

Jumping out of your truck and running across the tundra to fling arrows at caribou that someone else has already started a stalk on is not a competitive practice.

If you consider what is being done by many on the Haul Road as "competitive practices" then you need to redefine your own personal definition of sportsmanship and hunting ethics."

I would agree that the first statement is illegal. By the letter of the law, you can not do that. Your second statement however, is protected by the letter of the law. That is "competative practices". The first person on that animal does not have sole ownership of that animal, and it is fair game to others.

Like I said, it is unfortunate that the law is this way, but this is the loophole in that law that will allow them to get away with this type of behavior. I will disregard your last statement because I don't feel a personal attack is necessary. I posted pretty obviously that I do not condone behavior like this and I do respect other people. What I am posting is that the people doing this are doing it legally, albeit not ethically and surely not sportsmanlike. If you are going to point your finger, make sure to point it in the right direction.

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    Cheap spotting scope delima

Especially back in New York, those that did not own spotting scopes of bino's used their firearm scopes to see what others were doing.

A great reason for moving to Alaska!

Leave a comment:

• fullkurl
    replied
    happens everywhere for sure.

This wasnt a "bowhunt" but when I was up at about 7000' this year deciding between which two sheep to shoot, I glanced up the mountain which topped at about 7100' and to my amazement a fella was looking down his rifle scope at me. I just prayed he had his finger off the trigger. I was so angry. My son and wife were with me and I guess they were my biggest concern.
    The guy continued with this stuff (apparently he didnt have a clean look at the rams) until I finally just shot the dang sheep. He then retreated over the mountain into the clouds to who knows where.

This stuff happens where and when you least expect it.

Leave a comment:

• TradBow
    replied
    Fireman,

The only thing I can tell you is get used to it. It matters not where you go though the haul road seems to concentrate the states finest. These battles can and do happen in the middle of the bush miles from no where.

Alaskans have the misconception that everything needs to be theirs, it's god given rights to run fish wheels, halibut skates, kill as much as often as they can regardless of the next guy and to some extent the resource.

It sure is nice to see some of the good guys on here though as small a group as we maybe!

Enjoy it while you can.

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    Sportsmanship

"The law does not prohibit lawful competitive practices among hunters, fishermen, or trappers."

The acts of many on the Haul Road are NOT "competitive practicies".

Bow hunting is NOT a competitive practice.

It is a solitary sport where a person is one-on-one with an animal that he intends to harvest.

Having your buddies drive up and down the road to move a crossing heard to you is not legal. It is wildlife harassment in any state.

Jumping out of your truck and running across the tundra to fling arrows at caribou that someone else has already started a stalk on is not a competitive practice.

If you consider what is being done by many on the Haul Road as "competitive practices" then you need to redefine your own personal definition of sportsmanship and hunting ethics.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod
    replied
    Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Your are right! According to the Fish and Game regualtions on page 21:

"It is against state law (AS16.05.790) to intentionally obstruct or hinder another person's lawful hunting, fishing, trapping or viewing of fish and game. Illegal activities include positioning one's self in a location where human presence may alter the behavior of fish or game another person is pursuing. It is also illegal to create a sight, sound, smell, or physical stimulus to alter the behavior of fish and game another person is attempting to take. "

Maybe it is time to start taking down license plates and turning the road hunters in that are interfering with others hunts.
    You need to finish the rule as stated... let me finish it for you...

"It is against state law (AS16.05.790)...
    ...is attempting to take.

The law does not prohibit lawful competitive practices among hunters, fishermen, or trappers.

Violators of this statute are subject to a fine of up to $500 and/or up to 30 days in jail."

There is the loophole they need to get away with what they are doing.

It is unfortunate, but if the other person decides to hunt an animal that you are on, they have the legal right to do so. I see the competition as part of the road hunt. If you don't want to deal with it, you have options. Nobody is holding you to hunt right off the road, and nobody is making you go there to hunt in the first place. I hate to see first timers have to deal with this, but these issues aren't new, and have been discussed for years.

If you don't like fishing for reds shoulder to shoulder with strangers, then you don't fish the Russian River on weekends. People know the situation there, as well most people do with the Haul Road now. If you hunt right off the road, or within close proximity, these are the things you can expect. It is sad but true. Desperation is more important to some than the respect for others.

Leave a comment:

• Daveinthebush
    replied
    Erik

Your are right! According to the Fish and Game regualtions on page 21:

"It is against state law (AS16.05.790) to intentionally obstruct or hinder another person's lawful hunting, fishing, trapping or viewing of fish and game. Illegal activities include positioning one's self in a location where human presence may alter the behavior of fish or game another person is pursuing. It is also illegal to create a sight, sound, smell, or physical stimulus to alter the behavior of fish and game another person is attempting to take. "

Maybe it is time to start taking down license plates and turning the road hunters in that are interfering with others hunts.

Leave a comment:

• fulldraw
    replied
    Thxs for the info Erik, I could only imagine that this must happen to everybody
    at least a couple of times over the course of a few days on the road..It sure makes me enjoy it more when I just put on my pack and start walkin...

Leave a comment:

• Erik in AK
    replied
    For future reference:

If you ever have a stalk blown by another hunter as mentioned above i.e. you're obviously on the sneak and they pile out of the truck and start stalking the same animal(s) take down their plate # and vehicle info and drive to Happy Valley or Galbraith and let the Trooper know.

"Road Pirating" someone's stalk is just as illegal under the the hunter interference statute as if it were an anti-hunter banging pots.

I spoke to a trooper today, on the Haul Road, and he said he would ticket anyone engaging in such behavior.

Leave a comment:

• fulldraw
    replied
    Yeah pretty amazing when you are the first one to pull over and start gettin your stuff ready to walk out and try and put a stalk on something, when all of a sudden up pulls a truck with a couple of jerkoffs who won't even bother to make
    eye contact yet there are stopped 10ft away from my truck grab there stuff and start racing out in the field.You are a lot better off if your able to distance yourself from the road pirates,90% have no plans of packin that bou any farther than the ditch next to there pickup..

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X