broadheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broadheads

I'm making the switch from cut on contact fixed blade to a chisel point w/ replaceable blades. I haven't decided what brand to go with and was looking for some input. I also would like to hear some opinions on 3 blade versus 4 blade.

I shoot

NAP Thunderheads @ 125, 3 blade...& will continue to shoot them...

Comment

Originally posted by gogoalie
      NAP Thunderheads @ 125, 3 blade...& will continue to shoot them...
      I shoot the 100's ... very happy with them.

Comment

I've always shot Thunderheads too, and have always been happy. A friend of mine switched to Muzzy broadheads last fall, but I think he did it just to try something new...wasn't unhappy with the Thunderheads for any reason. They seem to be the most consistently recommended one out there.

-Brian

Comment

flight

Do the thunderheads seem to hit to the same point of aim as your field point or does it take some tuning adjustment?

Comment

Depends on a couple factors but yes, mine hold pretty true.

Comment

Point of impact

I tried both the NAPs and the Muzzys at 100gr, and found both shot to same point of aim as my 100gr field points. Bill at Backcountry Archery tuned the bow for me, so I have great confidence in it.

Comment

I have done alot of research on broadheads and alot of trial and error. I used to use 125 thunderheads but they keep planing up on me, changed to wasp and had no problems since, been using wasp for almost 10 years now.
                And as far as 3 blade vs. 4 blade it has its pros and cons. With 3 blade you have less friction whitch in-turn gives you more penatration 4 blade will give you a better bleed hole but less penatation, also remember with 3 blade you have a better shot at a complete hole from one side to the other witch inturn gives you two holes for blood loss with a 4 blade you will get a better hole but due to friction possibly only one hole.

Comment

Muzzy

I'm very happy the 100 grn 4 blade's.

Comment

Razors

I shoot (still) obsolete, old-style Rocky Mountain Razors in 125 gr. They have the sharp round tip which punctures on contact as opposed to the chisel point.

Too bad they don't still offer them. They fly precisely to the same POI as my bullet tips. 3 blades and 1 1/4" cutting diameter really blows through a deer like nobodies business! Produces a blood trail you can run on!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by chuckgoff
                      Do the thunderheads seem to hit to the same point of aim as your field point or does it take some tuning adjustment?
                      If your bow and your form are properly tuned any broadhead can be made to impact the same as the field point. If they aren't, none will. You may think the bow is in perfect tune while shooting field points but broadheads may show you otherwise. Take the time to shoot and tune your bow with broadheads and you'll know it's in top form when it comes time for hunting.

Comment

another option..

Cabela's makes a great 3-blade chisel point broadhead that shoots the same as my field points without tuning (125 gr.). The blades are replaceable and best of all, they are inexpensive! Jerry at Fletchers archery in Wasilla turned me on to these years ago and they have served me well. Prior to, I shot the Rocky Mt. Razors. Killed a caribou with them, but I like the Cabela's chisel points better.
                        AKmud
                        sigpic

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Comment

Old stye

I'm with AKWannabe, still shooting those 125gr Razor points until I sharpen them to nothing. Too bad you can't get them anymore. Guess at that point, (still a few years off yet) I'll be looking back to this archive and see what is working for everybody else.

Comment

What about...

Doesn't Zwickey still make a two blade razor point? I have heard through the years old timers swearing by them.
                            AKmud
                            sigpic

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Comment

Another vote for the Thunderhead 125 grain broadhead!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X