2020 DM 427 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 DM 427 season

Checking to see how the season went for people that had this permit. Did they enjoy the hunt? Was enough snow on the ground to push them down off the mountain?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Isn't this the hunt you drew? How did you do?
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Comment

Originally posted by Roger45 View Post
      Isn't this the hunt you drew? How did you do?
      I drew the fall one. My stroke (July 2020) did allow me to get out. I am hoping this fall I will be to hunt close to what I use to. I like the 427 hunt though it's tough with shorter hunting hours and how the snow is. Last time I had this permit we had decent snowfall, but It was so cold that the top layer of the snow was hard as a rock. It made stalking impossible and the moose at this point were so skittish. It made for a great challenge don't get me wrong. I saw plenty of moose. Just couldn't seal the deal.
      Living the Alaskan Dream
      Gary Keller
      Anchorage, AK

Comment

Looks like I got skunked for draws in 2021...thing about a 4 wheeler hunt in Unit 21 north of FBk, but will need to find someone to go along.
        "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Comment

Looks like I got skunked for draws in 2021...thing about a 4 wheeler hunt in Unit 21 north of FBk, but will need to find someone to go along.
          I keep telling myself I need to get a four-wheeler, but Just can't pull the trigger. Still looking for the right one.
          Living the Alaskan Dream
          Gary Keller
          Anchorage, AK

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Gray View Post

I keep telling myself I need to get a four-wheeler, but Just can't pull the trigger. Still looking for the right one.
            There are all pretty good, the big thing to keep in mind is its weight versus its horsepower. It seems to me that something in the 500cc class is a good balance, but if you pump up to 850 you can haul so much more. Tires are critical in my experience as most of the older machines had crappy original tires. I have had zero issues with my Arctic Cat 500 manual 4x4 once I swap out the tires for mud lites.. Out in the field I would say Polaris is about 5-10 to 0ne more than all other brands. All that said, the next ATV I want will be a side by side with a roof and side to get out of the weather :-)

Comment

There are all pretty good, the big thing to keep in mind is its weight versus its horsepower. It seems to me that something in the 500cc class is a good balance, but if you pump up to 850 you can haul so much more. Tires are critical in my experience as most of the older machines had crappy original tires. I have had zero issues with my Arctic Cat 500 manual 4x4 once I swap out the tires for mud lites.. Out in the field I would say Polaris is about 5-10 to 0ne more than all other brands. All that said, the next ATV I want will be a side by side with a roof and side to get out of the weather :-)
              Side by side will be nice, but with the gross weight. Allot of them are over the limit to go on BLM land. There was a post about them passing flyers out earlier this winter letting people know about the weight requirments.

Living the Alaskan Dream
              Gary Keller
              Anchorage, AK

Comment

Side by side will be nice, but with the gross weight. Allot of them are over the limit to go on BLM land. There was a post about them passing flyers out earlier this winter letting people know about the weight requirments.
                I had heard about this in the lower 48, but didn't know it hit AK. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Do you know what Alaska's weight limits are? Where to find that? Thanks

Comment

Do you know what Alaska's weight limits are? Where to find that? Thanks
                    https://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com...e-side-by-side

Look at this post. If I am right someone posts the site where the info is at.
                    Living the Alaskan Dream
                    Gary Keller
                    Anchorage, AK

Comment

I was able to hunt part of this season for the first time. Clocked in some miles and was able to get within 10 yards of some cows but held out. <br/>My season was abruptly closed when I had to leave for a military school with short notice but still had a good time with the hunt.<br/><br/>The hardest part was how very little snow there was and the bit that was there, was frozen, crunchy and loud. Everyone I ran into on this was hoping for a fresh coat. Got close to one 30 bull in main post and heard about a 50+ hit in the shoulder on the other side of the HWY but not recovered. <br/><br/>If you have any specific questions let me know and I will help you out.<br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tripp238 View Post
                        I was able to hunt part of this season for the first time. Clocked in some miles and was able to get within 10 yards of some cows but held out. <br/>My season was abruptly closed when I had to leave for a military school with short notice but still had a good time with the hunt.<br/><br/>The hardest part was how very little snow there was and the bit that was there, was frozen, crunchy and loud. Everyone I ran into on this was hoping for a fresh coat. Got close to one 30 bull in main post and heard about a 50+ hit in the shoulder on the other side of the HWY but not recovered. <br/><br/>If you have any specific questions let me know and I will help you out.<br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I spent many miles also. I found lot of moose and most of them on base. I did hike Bulldog Trail several times and didn't see one moose. Saw maybe 2-3 bulls. Nothing huge. The issue I had wasn't the snow depth. It was perfect, but the rain we had over it. No way to ever get close to them. every step you would walk it was a loud crack. Overall I loved the hunt and still looking to take my first-ever moose. Hoping this winter will be the year.
                        Living the Alaskan Dream
                        Gary Keller
                        Anchorage, AK

Comment

Didn't do hunt last year but prior year got antlerless bull 1st day I hunted (2nd day of hunt) and saw a 40ish bull shot while driving into Bulldog road to pick mine up. Depth not great and crunchy. My bull and another he was with had already shed . Year before on hunt 426 I hunted 10 days and struck out Had 1 cow within 15 yards but sleeping in the willows. When she finally started to move a bit a plow truck came roaring past and she bolted! I was soooo mad! Had been standing there for over 45 minutes

Comment

Originally posted by sjfriend View Post
                            Didn't do hunt last year but prior year got antlerless bull 1st day I hunted (2nd day of hunt) and saw a 40ish bull shot while driving into Bulldog road to pick mine up. Depth not great and crunchy. My bull and another he was with had already shed . Year before on hunt 426 I hunted 10 days and struck out Had 1 cow within 15 yards but sleeping in the willows. When she finally started to move a bit a plow truck came roaring past and she bolted! I was soooo mad! Had been standing there for over 45 minutes
                            I had a cow working toward me and was 15 yards away. I just needed her to clear these small trees and it would have given me a 10-yard shot. All of a sudden this helicopter flies over low makes a pass and then comes back and hovers right over the cow. Spokes her right off. back into the thick stuff. This pretty much sums up my hunt for this permit that year. Was so close, but what could go wrong did. Another time I was about to seal the deal on a young bull. he was feeding. I was in place and getting my breathing right. As I was drawing my bow back, my girlfriend was in the truck and decided she wanted to film it. She leaned over the center counsel and that pressure hit the spare keys alarm button. You guessed it. The bull was out of there. We laugh at it now, but at the time she was all tears.

Living the Alaskan Dream
                            Gary Keller
                            Anchorage, AK

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X