Archery Brown Bear 16B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archery Brown Bear 16B

Hey guys,<br/><br/>New to the forum and am going to take a chance for some advice. <br/>My parents have lived in Alaska for a number of years and I am going to take advantage of being able to hunt brown bears without a guide. <br/>My dad is the pastor of light house community church in Nikiski and was hoping to stick decently close. We are looking at 16b across the inlet from them. He has a friend willing to fly us over to hunt. <br/><br/>If anyone is willing, I would love some advice on some decent areas for brown/black bears and moose. I have talked with the biologist a few times and done my ďonx scoutingĒ for spots and have a few picked out. Was hoping to see if they line up with what I have read in management surveys.<br/>Here in Idaho I know locals have 0 desire to share information so I understand if people donít want to share. <br/><br/>Thanks in advance,<br/><br/>Troy<br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully someone hunts over there. You might try the search feature on here in the upper right. Sometimes you can get some really good hits. Good luck.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Thanks man! <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My cousin and his son just used Alaska West to go fill his youth moose tag in 16. You might try them. 907-283-4292 https://www.alaskawestair.com/

Comment

Iíll be doing an over the counter tag with my dad who is a resident. I thought about calling Doug at Alaska west but I figured he would keep his secrets to himself. <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There are a lot of bears in 16B. A LOT. It's not an area of the state where people are going to keep their cards close to the chest. If anything, many hunters want more bears harvested from that area to support the moose population. As for moose hunting, on that point you might have a harder time getting solid advice. Also, last winter was rough on moose in 16B and the population declined by a fair amount.

Are you planning to establish a bait station? That might be difficult if you're flying back and forth, but if you do, you likely won't have a hard time finding bears in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by tdmouse29 View Post
              Iíll be doing an over the counter tag with my dad who is a resident. I thought about calling Doug at Alaska west but I figured he would keep his secrets to himself. <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I know Doug and he's a good guy. Between him and the knowledge of his other pilots I would imagine he/they have a pretty good idea of where to find some bears over there. I think it would be worth a call.
              Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

I might have to give Doug a call then! I appreciate the advice. <br/><br/>I will not be setting up a bait station, sadly. If I had more time and could scout the area I would of liked to try that! <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I will only be over there 7 days. Is that enough time to establish a bait station over there? <br/>I know in Idaho I wouldnít even dream of baiting if I only had 7 days.<br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I will only be over there 7 days. Is that enough time to establish a bait station over there? <br/>I know in Idaho I wouldnít even dream of baiting if I only had 7 days.<br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    There's no telling when it comes to baiting. If you do up a site real good where there are a large amount of bears it is possible that it would be hit almost immediately. On the other hand, it could take a week or more for bears to hit a bait. A lot has to do with where the majority of bears are in relation to your bait, as well as the direction of the prevailing winds, or possibly not much wind or breezes at all at the time. Personally, for the time you have I wouldn't try it unless you know for sure there are a lot of bears in the area.

Comment

Ok , thatís what I was thinking. I had no intention of trying but when you brought it up figured Iíd ask. <br/>Plan on slowly walking along salmon streams and if there is a place to get up high I will stay there and glass. <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Terrain looks super thick. Can you confirm or deny that? <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Terrain looks super thick. Can you confirm or deny that? <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          16b is a big area, depends on where you go...

Comment

Gotcha. Ya itís huge. I hunted near Judd lake couple years ago and it was really thick. <br/>Just trying to wrap my mind around the areas I have been looking at on onx. Wonít be going back to Judd lake. <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok , thatís what I was thinking. I had no intention of trying but when you brought it up figured Iíd ask. <br/>Plan on slowly walking along salmon streams and if there is a place to get up high I will stay there and glass. <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Btw, that was Brain that brought up baiting, not me. And if it was me, I wouldn't try walking slowly along the streams right at first, as you don't want to be spreading your smell all around. First get up high and glass until you find something you want, then figure out how to put a stalk on, or figure out a pattern if any, with the possibility of setting up an ambush somehow.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X